5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram 1500 5.7L HEMI/eTORQUE Laramie 4X4 questions

dk9mm

Reaction score
Hello all, I just picked up this new truck a couple of weeks ago. I’ll be adding a tonneau cover tomorrow to help with fuel economy. Got 490 miles on it and average MPG is 19.5.

I see a lot of cold air intakes out there. Are they worth it? Would a better air filter do just as good? Are there any ones you have used that are good that don’t cost $300+?

Thanks in advance!

AngryAce

Reaction score
I put a S&B Cold Air Intake on mine, but it didn't increase gas mileage. I don't think they add too much for what they cost. Just get a K&N for the stock filter box.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello all, I just picked up this new truck a couple of weeks ago. I’ll be adding a tonneau cover tomorrow to help with fuel economy. Got 490 miles on it and average MPG is 19.5.

I see a lot of cold air intakes out there. Are they worth it? Would a better air filter do just as good? Are there any ones you have used that are good that don’t cost $300+?

Thanks in advance!

I hate to disappoint you, but the tonneau cover isn't going to do anything to help your fuel economy.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

I would be dancing in the streets naked if my truck got 19.5 mpg.

dk9mm

Reaction score
I hate to disappoint you, but the tonneau cover isn't going to do anything to help your fuel economy.
So all that drag from the tailgate means nothing?

I’ve had trucks for 20+ years and have had covers on all of them. Tested the before and after and seen an increase of fuel economy on the freeway trips.

To each his own I guess.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

I’ve had trucks for 20+ years and have had covers on all of them. Tested the before and after and seen an increase of fuel economy on the freeway trips.

To each his own I guess.

Actually, I think you maybe right, having the cover does improve fuel economy over not having one, which is why modern trucks have "lipped" aero tail gates to simulate the effects of a hard tonneau cover.

However, it's been proven that the tail gate doesn't actually produce that much drag. There are pretty extensive test that show tail gates actually improve fuel economy over removing a tail gate or having it down, due to the air pressure that builds in the bed and reduces drag over the bed when it's in the up position.

The difference between a cover and no cover on a modern truck with these aero tailgate designs may not be as big a difference than you may have seen in the past however.

Last edited:

dk9mm

Reaction score
Actually, I think you maybe right, having the cover does improve fuel economy over not having one, which is why modern trucks have "lipped" aero tail gates to simulate the effects of a hard tonneau cover.

However, it's been proven that the tail gate doesn't actually produce that much drag. There are pretty extensive test that show tail gates actually improve fuel economy over removing a tail gate or having it down, due to the air pressure that builds in the bed and reduces drag over the bed when it's in the up position.

The difference between a cover and no cover on a modern truck with these aero tailgate designs may not be as big a difference than you may have seen in the past however.
Right on!

Big White RAM

Reaction score
I would be dancing in the streets naked if my truck got 19.5 mpg.
You can exceed that, so take off your clothes and start dancing! Lol
I installed the RAM Airflow in the Spring and picked up an additional 1.5 MPG (driving conservatively). A month or so ago, I bought the Edge Pulsar (the "performance" mode 20221103_145119.jpg is mindblowing compared to stock). I set it to "Economy" and completed a 250 mile trip and when I checked the MPG's upon arrival I had to do a double take; absolutely amazing!! I have the 5.7 E- Torque with 3.23 gears, stock tires, and average speed of 70 mph.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

To each his own I guess.

This has been discussed a bunch of times. Before I watched this episode, I would have thought a tonneau cover would help with fuel economy.

I don't know if the lipped tailgates have any advantage over the old, flat taligates. The one in this test doesn't have a lip.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
You can exceed that, so take off your clothes and start dancing! Lol
I installed the RAM Airflow in the Spring and picked up an additional 1.5 MPG (driving conservatively). A month or so ago, I bought the Edge Pulsar (the "performance" mode View attachment 143687 is mindblowing compared to stock). I set it to "Economy" and completed a 250 mile trip and when I checked the MPG's upon arrival I had to do a double take; absolutely amazing!! I have the 5.7 E- Torque with 3.23 gears, stock tires, and average speed of 70 mph.

Oh you don't want to see that, lol.

But I own a Rebel, the 33" A/T tires, mandatory 3.92 rear axle, slightly higher ride height and no aero shutters means 17.5 mpg high is the best I can do, and that's trying hard.

My average mpg is about 13, this is about par for the course for Rebel owners.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Oh you don't want to see that, lol.

But I own a Rebel, the 33" A/T tires, mandatory 3.92 rear axle, slightly higher ride height and no aero shutters means 17.5 mpg high is the best I can do, and that's trying hard.

My average mpg is about 13, this is about par for the course for Rebel owners.
😆
I hear you regarding the 3.92's, larger tires and no shutters. However, you could definitely expect a slight improvement in MPG's with the Pulsar. Of course you'd have to factor in the price of the unit (I was fortunate to pick up a perfect used one on this site for a great price). The option to change settings "on the fly" is awesome, and I just leave it on "Performance" mode as it makes the Hemi come alive, still giving me 20.1 MPG avg. In "Economy" mode, the shift points change, as they do in all the different modes, and cruising at 70 shows about 1200 RPM's resulting in the higher MPG's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online