5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram 1500 “Big Horn’’ 5.7 with 26k miles is it a smart purchase asking before I buy it

Knightlytruth

Reaction score
This truck is beautiful, rides great and was owned by a 80 yo old man. it’s dead quiet, though I thought I heard a tic when they pulled it around at first. Paranoia perhaps, though I will say the 6.4 jeep I test drove definitely had it lol (damn it was fast thou). The 5.7 was dead quiet despite my dodge paranoia lol. So my question for you folks is would this be a smart buy? I need something that will last and not crap a week later. I’ve had enough 10k repair bills with 115k mil 02 7.3, that and obsolete parts. I just want it to start and start every time. Are 1500s reliable enough to meet those expectation? Thanks in advance!

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
Yes they are reliable. Great trucks. Rated #1 for full sized trucks i believe so take that for what it is. However just like any other brand now a days they all have their issues, just a matter of pick your poison. As for the little "tick" you heard could have been, could not have been, before purchase just ensure they look at it and make sure the exhaust manifold isnt cracked or the bolts arnt snapped. Also dont forget the 5.7 hemi in general are noisy engines, the tick is very distinct i feel you will KNOW. I say purchase it and you wont regret it. Goodluck!

Knightlytruth

Reaction score
My mother’s pentastar had the tick and eat a cam lol.The 1500 ran smooth as silk, and was so quiet I thought it wasn’t running lol. What shocked me was the way it rode, I thought I was in a 60s land yacht. No codes or lights on the dash, no bs it’s like the gentleman that had it previously drove it to church and back below the speed limit. It looks and feels brand new. You think it would be worth getting a pre purchase inspection? Though I doubt it’s necessary dealer is very reputable and has that good ole boy vibe, I just don’t see them selling junk. I’ll attach the original window sticker

Attachments

• IMG_0049.jpeg
    IMG_0049.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 36

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
If it’s everything you want and the price is right, go for it. Given how clean and quiet it is I probably wouldn’t bother with having a mechanic look at it. Besides, depending on the original in service date, a 2022 with 26K on it still has another up to 1 year/10k left on the bumper to bumper and 2-3 years/34k left on the powertrain. Spend a couple grand sometime between now and before the bumper to bumper runs out on a factory extended warranty (don’t buy it from the dealer, go through Zeigler or Granger and save some money) and you’ll really be set.

dajogejr

Reaction score
If the numbers add up, buy it and you have until 3 year/36000 miles before the warranty contract companies kick the price up a bit.
Nobody can tell you a week or a decade. Anything could happen.
But there’s a price for peace of mind.
I paid my tab… :)

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the price is good and it's equipped the way you want, go for it.

If you want something that will start every time, look for a vehicle from the early sixties, before electronics took over.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Buy it and the MaxCare warranty from Ziegler and you'll be set for years to come. I've had two with minimal/no issues...

It's not an eTorque so you're good to go there...

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
I have a Nused 2020 with approx. 47K miles.
I have only done routine maintenance, put gas in the tank, and drive with miles of smiles.
If the truck meets the needs and the wallet is willing, play, "Let's make a deal."
You are the final and only judge.

BlueHemi1500

Av1

Reaction score
All auto manufacturers have occasional issues with vehicles. Don't let that detract you.

Major issues happen but are rarer than internet forums might lead you to believe.

If it is what you like and the price is right, then do it.

The 5th gen Ram does many things well and I really like mine.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
Are etorques bad?

Not bad per se, but just something else to go wrong, IMO.
This. I have an Etorque b.c when i buit my truck production started for the 2024s so i got screwed on alot (No oem led head/tailghts, axle lock, 3.92 gear, but got the truck due to the deal i got i couldnt walk and the only thing that actually hurt was the no 3.92 gear) and etorque was one of them i had no choice. Not that it bugs me and that its bad, actually pretty reliable, of course there is issues but not a huge problema at all and i just turn mine off when i get in the truck, BUT if i was able to have a choice... i would NOT have it on my truck. Just something else thats expensive as hell to replace when warranty is gone. Waiting for some smart person or engineer mind to come up with a legit delete kit eventually and ill yank it off my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread