5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Orders

Mjbano

Reaction score
Well when fast food workers want almost $18 because they want a living wage a, chip producer should make $100. Whatever happened to work harder to get ahead? Pull yourself up by the bootstraps. Put you nose to the grindstone. Na ill sit here and let joe buy my ram for me🤣 he might ever fill up the gas tank
SO true!!!! LOL

JBV

Reaction score
BH yes. however, the olive green originally ordered was cancelled about a month ago. i was told it was no longer offered. the order is for patriot blue now and it's a 22. funny thing is i had already ordered a canopy and it's been sitting there now for months awaiting the truck.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If only I had the skills that @triple_B has, then I’d be really dangerous.
My line of work requires me to schedule and forecast large construction projects (tens of millions of dollars each) as far out as 2 years. With crazy variables like weather delays, labor shortages, material and equipment problems, permitting problems, incompetency, and general stupidity. So taking a half-educated stab at factory conditions feels pretty laid back to me. Of course, this is the first time I’ve done this, so I reserve the right to be dead-@ss wrong.
I’m sure Stellantis has its own highly-accurate scheduling system with contingencies for shortages and such. But if they published it, the torch-bearing villagers of the chat forums would string them up by their thumbs if it was inaccurate. Even in my business, there’s a big differen between “what I’m sure we can do” vs. “what I’m going to commit to in a contract with liquidated damages”. So I get it. But with that said, it would be nice if they said something. Right now, it’s just radio silence.
Appreciate both you @Eighty and @TripleB. The TRX forum is more tame because of the lack of orders compared to this board but both of your work pull everything together to give us a good picture on what's happening at the floor level!

PCHokie

Reaction score
Damn, that must have been some nasty stuff in the tank. Its very frustrating America is so dependent on other countries for our goods. I sure hope my kids see "Made in America" in their lifetime.
They won’t if they buy a RAM 1500. Surprised Tundra and Ridgeline are more American than a RAM.

MojitoJLUR

Reaction score
You guys think you have it bad waiting for these trucks? I live 15 minutes from SHAP. But I guess once mine is built it won't take long to get to the dealer. It's 10 minutes from SHAP.😀
Member of the 15 minute club here too!

where is the poster that lives 15 minutes from SHAP???

they can go by there and ask some people when they are leaving :)
Let me shoot my buddy a message who works the line. Last I talked to him, no news, but it's been a couple weeks. I'll update if I hear back (he works morning shift).

MojitoJLUR

Reaction score
Bad news....ZF just went on strike yesterday.

Workers for an auto parts supplier in Marysville went on strike on Thursday morning after the company reneged on a neutrality agreement to recognize union representation, according to the United Auto Workers.
There are 340 workers striking, UAW spokesman Brian Rothenberg said. ZF spokesman Tony Sapienza said about a dozen are demonstrating at the plant, but that a majority of employees have shown up to work, and production continues. It was not immediately clear how many workers are at the plant.

Lastly, i did ask my buddy and he hasn't heard anything. He has heard rumors that they are getting laid off again next week though. Again, just a rumor, but nothing on MY22 starting.

Werfs Flammen

Reaction score
I looked up TSMC (world's largest contract chipmaker) median salary which was $64,874 and 90% of their workforce is in Taiwan. I also looked up Micron median salary which was $50,315 ($47, 596 average salary) at their Manassas, VA facility. While not a true apple to apple comparison, I was expecting median salary for TSMC to be substantially lower.

Don't know why I am posting this, other than I found the information interesting.

They move more of it over seas for the lower labor wage savings. They save so much on the people at the bottom it is worth it.
Also there are safety issues that exist in USA that aren't in all the other countries. I remember hearing about them stacking fabs in Korea and placing cubs above one of the ion implantation devices. Turned out everyone with cubes above those tools got some form of cancer. Think about those as high power microwaves.

Werfs Flammen

Reaction score
Perhaps this is a stupid question, but........ WTF is the deal with these chips? We (America) can develop a "vaccine" in 6 months, have a place called silicone valley, but cant make our own chips? What the heck is going on here? I cant seem to find a legit answer to this. Anyone? Please educate me.
Setting up a chip fab plant is an extremely complicated process. I've built some of the chip plants at Motorola and Texas Instruments. You don't just toss up a circus tent and start making chips. I think the US now realizes that we need to be a little more independent for critical things like this, so there's movement towards that goal...but it will take years to happen.

Side story. When I went through the safety orientation to build the Motorola Z plant in Austin (back in the mid-90's), I remember them saying, "You see that big tank there? If you breach that tank, half of the city of Austin will die in the first 30 minutes." It was some kind of acid (don't remember which anymore).
The other part that people don't think of is from bare silicon wafer to finished wafer is about 30-45 day. Then it needs to go over sea's for packaging were they cut it up and place it on its socket or final placement. then it needs to sometimes be assembled into its device. So its usually close to a 2 month lead time for any part from start to finish if you can get a rush on it.
I almost forgot just growing the Silicon ingot. That can take weeks to a month also, depending on how big they need it.

I don't know if this part is true, but the story I heard that isn't as much discussed was that when the pandemic happened a lot of shipping containers got stranded in the wrong ports. That plus the semiconductor manufactures kind of switched gears to other chips as the auto industry slowed down at the beginning.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if this part is true, but the story I heard that isn't as much discussed was that when the pandemic happened a lot of shipping containers got stranded in the wrong ports. That plus the semiconductor manufactures kind of switched gears to other chips as the auto industry slowed down at the beginning.
The container shortage is a real thing. It's affecting my business badly. I get a lot of plywood from east Asia (mostly Russia, but also Vietnam). There's plenty of plywood, but not enough containers to get them to the US. Prices have skyrocketed on plywood, due to the cost of shipping.
Additionally, rebar has gone up about 50% this year. While it's produced domestically, it's subject to worldwide scrap prices. And the rumor is that China is buying up scrap like crazy, so they can make more shipping containers. Not 100% sure that this rumor is true, but it is believable at least.

Hasti17

Reaction score
The container shortage is a real thing. It's affecting my business badly. I get a lot of plywood from east Asia (mostly Russia, but also Vietnam). There's plenty of plywood, but not enough containers to get them to the US. Prices have skyrocketed on plywood, due to the cost of shipping.
Additionally, rebar has gone up about 50% this year. While it's produced domestically, it's subject to worldwide scrap prices. And the rumor is that China is buying up scrap like crazy, so they can make more shipping containers. Not 100% sure that this rumor is true, but it is believable at least.
not a rumor. my old job (we ran ports and heavy constuction) loaded 2 scrap ships a month from upstate NY to china (not exactly a convenient trip for a scrap vessel) while I was there up through may. (Usually sent one every 2 months or so the prior years). they were taking as much scrap as we had capacity to load out for them

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
not a rumor. my old job (we ran ports and heavy constuction) loaded 2 scrap ships a month from upstate NY to china (not exactly a convenient trip for a scrap vessel) while I was there up through may. (Usually sent one every 2 months or so the prior years). they were taking as much scrap as we had capacity to load out for them

And even with all of those delays in shipping, and producing it overseas, I bet it’s still cheaper to make compared to having it here in the good old U.S.A.

Product prices increase here in the us not because of quality, because of the labor practices and prices already set around the world….like oil.

2022 Big Horn Back Country
6/14…order placed
6/24…D status and Vin

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
need someone on the line that can see the vin numbers
@triple_B is scanning the system daily (twice a day, actually) - we will all know when the first 2022 build sheets are published. His daily update on the TRX forum shows that they're still producing 2022's as of right now.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, it does appear that Stellantis is trying to spool up for Sunday (9/12). I'm still assuming this is the kick-off for 2022's.

View attachment 105156
That's encouraging.

And if it's true that sold orders (a.k.a ours) will get priority while there will being a good chance that dealer lots will continue to be mostly barren for some time, I feel very blessed and fortunate to be in a position to just order the truck I want and wait. Think a lot of people are gonna start to really feel the burn from this in the coming months.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
That's encouraging.

And if it's true that sold orders (a.k.a ours) will get priority while there will being a good chance that dealer lots will continue to be mostly barren for some time, I feel very blessed and fortunate to be in a position to just order the truck I want and wait. Think a lot of people are gonna start to really feel the burn from this in the coming months.
I'm hoping the factory looks at the sold orders as money in the pocket.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Damn, that must have been some nasty stuff in the tank. Its very frustrating America is so dependent on other countries for our goods. I sure hope my kids see "Made in America" in their lifetime.

Totally Agree. On a side note, we aren't too far from each other. I'm in Beaver County. I did some work in Youngwood.
That's cool! who did you order from?

Users who are viewing this thread