5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Limited wheel & tire swap for off-road

weLikeTrucks

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 2022 Limited that came stock with 20" wheels and Duelers Alenzas in 275/55/20 and decided I wanted to switch out the Duelers for BFG K02 because I'm going off-road frequently. I wanted an extra set of wheels and more sidewall as well, so I ordered 18" rebel take-offs (5YD44TRMAA) and the K02's in 275/70/18.

I had one of the rebel wheels put on, it did not have enough clearance at the caliper. Couple of questions if anyone is so willing to help; are there aftermarket wheels that have more clearance at the caliper on the 2022 limited? I'm thinking I may have more success just getting some tires for the 20" OEM wheels. I've been told contradicting information from two tire shops on what the biggest tire I can run with no lift is. If I stick with the OEM 20" wheels, will 285/60/20 fit with no rubbing or do I need to go down to 275/60/20? Could I get away with 275/65/20?

Thanks!

Last edited:

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That is strange. 18" Rebel rims fit my 2020 Limited. Clearance is tight around the calipers, but it fits. That would be weird if, for 2022, they changed the calipers.

I have not tested this myself yet (plan on going to 33s next time I need new shoes), but per many other threads here and on other forums, without a level or ORG, we should be able to fit 33" tires without rub. 34" with ORG or Rebels. Some have fit larger without rub or minor trimming, others not so much. But every truck can be different, YMMV.

weLikeTrucks

Reaction score
That is strange. 18" Rebel rims fit my 2020 Limited. Clearance is tight around the calipers, but it fits. That would be weird if, for 2022, they changed the calipers.

I have not tested this myself yet (plan on going to 33s next time I need new shoes), but per many other threads here and on other forums, without a level or ORG, we should be able to fit 33" tires without rub. 34" with ORG or Rebels. Some have fit larger without rub or minor trimming, others not so much. But every truck can be different, YMMV.
I spent a good amount of time reading through some of the other threads before I ordered the rebel wheels, I had expected that the clearance would be tight. When the shop got the wheel on, they called me regarding the fit and I took a look at the clearance which was maybe a business card thickness, ~.2mm being generous.

The 33" tire fitting is pretty much in line with my expectation having read through other threads, but also got the impression you're right about the YMMV. Hopefully get some more 2022 Limited owners showing up with additional info.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
While that is tight, I feel it is enough. They do not use different calipers on the Rebels that come from the factory with those wheels.

I’ve been running them for roughly 10k now, maybe more, and I’ve had no noises or issues. They do not make contact with each other.

That all being said, you do what you are comfortable with. Keep us updated on which path you end up taking!

NewGuy1

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Limited and wanted 35” tires with 18” wheels but cannot find any 18” that will clear the calipers. Very unfortunate because I need the side wall to air down. The calipers are different on the Limiteds than any other model. If anyone knows a black 18” wheel that works would be appreciated. Otherwise going to trade out the 22” for 20” and end up with less side wall.

NJC1684

Reaction score
I’ve read that you need a spacer for the TRX wheels. I’d just buy a .25” spacer and try that with your rebel wheels.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since the distance between the wheel and caliper doesn't change, that 2mm distance should be enough. You could also get a 2 or 3mm spacer to give you a bit more room.

JVSTBEE

Reaction score

Anyone have an update or more information on this? Preemptively ordered 18” Takeoffs for my ‘22 Limited, as winter wheels, but did so thinking they’d fit with no problems—as other years had no issues.

Crossing my fingers…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread