5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Limited Auto Dimming Mirrors

RockJock

Reaction score
In having a problem with the auto dimming mirrors in my truck. It's a Limited so both exterior mirrors are auto dimming. I have the digital rear view mirror also.

In October I noticed the exterior mirrors weren't dimming anymore under normal driving conditions. I can trick them by shining a flashlight at the interior mirror. This causes both exterior mirrors to dim as intended. So it appears to be an issue with the sensor in the interior mirror that activates the dimming.

I took this to the dealer and they replaced the interior mirror, also thinking it was a problem with the sensor.

I only drove the truck one time at night since the mirror was replaced, and the mirrors only dimmed 1 time in a 60 mile drive with nearly constant traffic. It was raining the whole time too.

My rear window is tinted 20% on top of factory, but has been since a couple weeks after I got the truck. The dimming mirrors worked good until October. I don't see that magically starting to affect the sensor after 9 months.

I don't know what to do next? Or maybe I can somehow find a way to keep the dimming mirrors always on when the headlights are on?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There is a sensor on the back of the mirror facing the windshield. Try putting black electrical tape on it. See if they dim. That sensor will also dim the video on the mirror. Make sure auto dim is set in the settings too.

RockJock

Reaction score
I thought the sensor was built in to the interior mirror glass?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I thought the sensor was built in to the interior mirror glass?
There are 2. Same as all the rear view mirrors. The one on the outside detects daylight. The one in the mirror detects lights from vehicles behind you. They both work to determine dimming.

RockJock

Reaction score
Alright thanks. My truck is in the garage right now, so no lights behind it. Just the ceiling lights.

I covered the front sensor with my finger and it caused the interior mirror to dim, but not the exterior mirrors.

So I'm thinking if I cover the front sensor with tape it should keep the interior mirror constantly dimmed but the exterior mirrors still won't dim unless they detect light from behind. Which would work out great. We can hopefully trick it into dimming with less light from behind since the front sensor will always see pitch black. I'll be trying it. Thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread