5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Laramie night edition damaged on delivery.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Doesn't removing those marks come at the expense of taking down the thickness of the clear coat on your paint job?
Black is a really tough color to have on a truck. I had it on one of my Nissan Hardbodies I bought new and keeping it looking good was a royal PITA. My personal favorite color for trucks is red, which I also think is a good compromise between looking really good when polished & cleaned and also not showing as many defects as black or really dark blue. I have the Maximum Steel on my Ram, which I love the color but is darker than I probably would have chosen given the option, and I would have preferred the Delmonico Red which is the truck I started off looking at but couldn't get one off the lot that was optioned the way I wanted. All of the Delmonico Red trucks had crap on them that wasn't very useful for a work truck like 20" chrome wheels and big sunroofs (not helpful to me as a skin cancer survivor).

Anyway, I think a good paint guy can fix everything I saw in those pictures pretty easily. Many years ago I worked for a fleet rental place that provided executive cars to corporations (mostly Town Cars and similar), many of which were black, and they had a paint guy on staff and it was amazing what he could do with these cars that didn't involve any painting.
How do you think Max Steel does with showing dirt. I like the color (and that's what I went with) but I'm not sure what to expect. I've had silver or white everything since the 90's other than our minivan.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Doesn't removing those marks come at the expense of taking down the thickness of the clear coat on your paint job?

How do you think Max Steel does with showing dirt. I like the color (and that's what I went with) but I'm not sure what to expect. I've had silver or white everything since the 90's other than our minivan.
It's not good at hiding dirt IMO. Better than black maybe, but I saw a few Max Steel on dealer lots when I was looking. Most of them were in need of a wash, and they didn't look good to me, even from 20 or 30 feet away. Other silver and white trucks on the lot didn't show nearly as much dirt until I got much closer to them. It's a beautiful color when clean and shining in the sun, just like Delmonico Red, Patriot Blue, and Diamond Black.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
shouldn't be that hard for the dealer to determine if the damage was already there if the dealer lot is full of cameras. If not, you may be SOL unless your dealer is extremely nice.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A good paint correction can fix most, if not all the paint problems on his truck, other than inside the bed. And it would be minimal removal of the clear coat. Id that worried, follow up the paint correction with a ceramic coating. Which is better than the factory clear coat.

olkowski88

Reaction score
Hey everyone, again thanks for all the comments and advice. Just a quick update, I had to go out of town on business until tomorrow. I went back to the dealer that night to return them their loaner they gave me monday when I dropped the truck off. My truck was still at the body shop and he wasn't finished with it. Tuesday I got a picture from my sales man of my truck(attached) inside their shop until I return to inspect and pick it up. According to my salesman the bodywork/paint guy said he had no issues getting out all of the scratches and swirls and polished/waxed the truck. They repainted the truck bed to cover up the bed scratches which doesn't matter really since I'll be putting in spray in bed liner, i asked them to put bed liner over it but they wouldn't because they said the warranty would cover the paint correction but not bed liner, all good. The window replacement is on order to have the glass swapped out. I'll be going to pickup/inspect the truck tomorrow and I'm genuinely hoping the truck looks a lot better and is no longer scratched so I can take the truck and be happy with the situation(best case scenario). The dealership has told me if I'm not happy with the work we can pursue ordering a replacement truck, hopefully that won't be necessary.

In the future I will inspect my new vechicles much more in depth before purchasing. I think the long wait and excited nature it finally arrived made me overlook some things. Also, after reading the comments this will probably be my last black vehicle. I'll update you guys again tomorrow. Thanks!

Attachments

• 85446.jpeg
    85446.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 62

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, again thanks for all the comments and advice. Just a quick update, I had to go out of town on business until tomorrow. I went back to the dealer that night to return them their loaner they gave me monday when I dropped the truck off. My truck was still at the body shop and he wasn't finished with it. Tuesday I got a picture from my sales man of my truck(attached) inside their shop until I return to inspect and pick it up. According to my salesman the bodywork/paint guy said he had no issues getting out all of the scratches and swirls and polished/waxed the truck. They repainted the truck bed to cover up the bed scratches which doesn't matter really since I'll be putting in spray in bed liner, i asked them to put bed liner over it but they wouldn't because they said the warranty would cover the paint correction but not bed liner, all good. The window replacement is on order to have the glass swapped out. I'll be going to pickup/inspect the truck tomorrow and I'm genuinely hoping the truck looks a lot better and is no longer scratched so I can take the truck and be happy with the situation(best case scenario). The dealership has told me if I'm not happy with the work we can pursue ordering a replacement truck, hopefully that won't be necessary.

In the future I will inspect my new vechicles much more in depth before purchasing. I think the long wait and excited nature it finally arrived made me overlook some things. Also, after reading the comments this will probably be my last black vehicle. I'll update you guys again tomorrow. Thanks!
Conveniently out of focus pic LOL. Glad to hear they took care of you. I'm sure it will look as good or better than when it rolled off the assembly line. Enjoy your new truck! :cool:

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
With it having a full paint correction, I would find a local detailer that ceramic coats vehicles and have it done. It will be cheaper since they don’t have any extra work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well worth it
f6967ddcd1a2ddea279e68961f1c3700.jpg

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score

What was the verdict when you picked it up? Did they meet or exceed your expectations? Let’s see some NON-blurry pics so we can

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That looks like they took it though an automatic car wash then had some kid dry it with a dirty rag.

Not uncommon for dealers to do this before the truck leaves the lot.

I agree, when I ordered my 21 Laramie I told them not to run it through the automatic car wash. Even my salesman said he’s seen the car wash scratch new car badly! My salesman claims he washed it by hand, right before I picked it up? Lol! I do also have to say I’ve never had a vehicles paint scratch/show surfaces scratches as bad as these new rams. I’ve had 2 now, both being blue. Also the darker colors show a lot worse! I think the rams paint sucks! I hope he gets it all worked out👍🏻

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I think a lot of us dont see the flaws or defects immediately because we are caught up with the excitement of a new vehicle but if it was my truck I just spent $60k on I would be pi$$ed. I would've taken it back immediately. I get the color black shows everything but that is something you'd expect to see on a used vehicle not a new one that just got delivered. I dont think I'd be able to accept the dealer painting anything on my brand new truck. Good luck

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree, when I ordered my 21 Laramie I told them not to run it through the automatic car wash. Even my salesman said he’s seen the car wash scratch new car badly! My salesman claims he washed it by hand, right before I picked it up? Lol! I do also have to say I’ve never had a vehicles paint scratch/show surfaces scratches as bad as these new rams. I’ve had 2 now, both being blue. Also the darker colors show a lot worse! I think the rams paint sucks! I hope he gets it all worked out
Improper wash technique can destroy the paint in seconds. According to my detailer Ram paint is actually quite good, and he works on many high end cars.

The best thing you can do with a new car is make it very clear for them not to wash it. 95% of people don't know how to wash a car and will put plenty of swirl marks/marring in your new paint.
Wash twchnique is even more important on dark colours.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I picked my truck up on a rainy day. When I got it home, I noticed some light scratches on the roof (one was almost 3 feet long) and one on the hood. Almost like branch scrapes. I assume something dragged on it during transportation or loading. Using Scratch Doctor and a microfiber did nothing. They were light enough a fingernail didn't catch on them. Once I got out my buffer and ceramic polish (medium heavy pad) I got them out.

Yeah, it's a truck. But at the prices we're paying, they should not be beat up by strangers. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread