5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Laramie hesitation and rough start

BTS_Elko

Reaction score
Recently picked up a new 2022 Laramie with the 5.7 Hemi. Truck has only about 1,000 miles on it and it’s been all good except for one issue, on startup there is some significant hesitation.

It almost sounds like the engine is going to cut out and die but then it ‘picks up’, the RPMs come up and it runs smoothly with no issues

This occurs on most every ‘cold’ startups after it’s been sitting for a few hours, but if I’ve been driving around for a bit, no similar issues on a subsequent restart.

It’s not cold outside, temps have been in the 70s recently and this issue occurs regardless of remote start or starting within the vehicle.

Here is a video of this in action:

Anyone ever experienced something like this?

Plan to take it into the dealer next week but will probably have to leave it overnight so they can do a ‘cold start’ in the morning.

Gnix

Reaction score
I just picked up a 22 laramie back in July as well but with etorque.

I’m in Canada, mornings are about 15 degrees here. Cold starts / remote starts doesn’t sound like this at all.

Might want to get it checked out.

Hope this helps

BTS_Elko

Reaction score
I just picked up a 22 laramie back in July as well but with etorque.

I’m in Canada, mornings are about 15 degrees here. Cold starts / remote starts doesn’t sound like this at all.

Might want to get it checked out.

Hope this helps

Dropped it off at my local dealer today. Service advisor was skeptical until I showed him the video. They are keeping it overnight and will give it a start tomorrow. Hopefully, the issue repeats itself.

Mine is a 2020 and it started doing this after I got my new exhaust put on

Did the issue resolve itself after some time?

Junkheadpile

Reaction score
Dropped it off at my local dealer today. Service advisor was skeptical until I showed him the video. They are keeping it overnight and will give it a start tomorrow. Hopefully, the issue repeats itself.

I found another thread where they discussed this exact issue. Apparently you just need to recalibrate your tps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231002_182349_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231002_182349_Chrome.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 18

BTS_Elko

Reaction score
I found another thread where they discussed this exact issue. Apparently you just need to recalibrate your tps.
Actually tried this and it seemed to work for a day or two and then right back to a hesitant start.
Any codes/CEL?
No codes or CEL, unfortunately (maybe fortunately?).

Dropped it off at the dealer two days ago and the SA confirmed they were able to replicate the issue and they tested and replaced the battery. Exactly what was said on the sheet:

FOUND BATTERY FAILED THE GR8 TEST. PERFORMED DRAW TEST TO VERIFIED BATTERY NOT BEING DRAINED OUT CAUSING SLOW CRANK AND CAUSING MODULE TO LOOSE CALIBRATION. 85410000.9, 080801BK.5
Installed BBH7F001AA : BATTERY: STORAGE
REPLACED BATTERY AND PERFORMED DRAW TEST. OK

Hopefully solved!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Actually tried this and it seemed to work for a day or two and then right back to a hesitant start.

No codes or CEL, unfortunately (maybe fortunately?).

Dropped it off at the dealer two days ago and the SA confirmed they were able to replicate the issue and they tested and replaced the battery. Exactly what was said on the sheet:

FOUND BATTERY FAILED THE GR8 TEST. PERFORMED DRAW TEST TO VERIFIED BATTERY NOT BEING DRAINED OUT CAUSING SLOW CRANK AND CAUSING MODULE TO LOOSE CALIBRATION. 85410000.9, 080801BK.5
Installed BBH7F001AA : BATTERY: STORAGE
REPLACED BATTERY AND PERFORMED DRAW TEST. OK

Hopefully solved!
Bad batteries really affect these trucks, so hopefully that solves it!

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like crappy fuel.
I emptied my generator`s tank into the truck, about 6 gallons worth of fuel that had been sitting for a pretty long time.
After doing it, the truck sounded just like that on cold starts.
Ran the tank to almost empty, poured in Lucas injector cleaner, topped off with fresh gas and after few days she is starting normal again.

BTS_Elko

Reaction score
Started up the truck this morning, same story so clearly not the battery.

Sounds like crappy fuel.
I emptied my generator`s tank into the truck, about 6 gallons worth of fuel that had been sitting for a pretty long time.
After doing it, the truck sounded just like that on cold starts.
Ran the tank to almost empty, poured in Lucas injector cleaner, topped off with fresh gas and after few days she is starting normal again.

I am starting to think this myself. This 2022 sat for about a year in rural TX and only had ~125 miles on it when I bought from an older gentleman who lost his driver’s license.

There was about a quarter tank of (presumably) year old gas in it when I picked it up a few weeks ago. I’m only on my second tank of gas (93, first tank from a high volume Shell station, second tank from Costco).

Will try the injector cleaner on my next fill up.

Because this issue only occurs when the truck has been sitting overnight (8 hours in the parking garage at work does not produce the same hesitant start) is it possible some kind of debris or gunk in the fuel tank blocks the fuel pickup partially causing this hard start situation?

Not too familiar with how the fueling system on these vehicles work…but trying to understand what would cause this hestiant start issue only AFTER sitting for a long period of time.

Last edited:

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Started up the truck this morning, same story so clearly not the battery.

I am starting to think this myself. This 2022 sat for about a year in rural TX and only had ~125 miles on it when I bought from an older gentleman who lost his driver’s license.

There was about a quarter tank of (presumably) year old gas in it when I picked it up a few weeks ago. I’m only on my second tank of gas (93, first tank from a high volume Shell station, second tank from Costco).

Will try the injector cleaner on my next fill up.

Because this issue only occurs when the truck has been sitting overnight (8 hours in the parking garage at work does not produce the same hesitant start) is it possible some kind of debris or gunk in the fuel tank blocks the fuel pickup partially causing this hard start situation?

Not too familiar with how the fueling system on these vehicles work…but trying to understand what would cause this hestiant start issue only AFTER sitting for a long period of time.
I experienced the exact same thing, rough start in the morning after sitting over night, no problem starting the rest of the day.
My take on it was that, when the engine completely cooled off over night, the crappy fuel did not want to ignite.

Also, the tank had roughly 26 gallons of fresh fuel in it when I added the old gasoline to it.
So I ran it down to about 20 mi. range to empty,
wanted most of the contaminated fuel out of the system before refilling.

Last edited:

Gnix

Reaction score
Your truck is similar to what I got. Mine has been sitting at the dealership for over 1 year. 155KM on it when I picked it up. I have Borla Atak exhaust installed too. No issues whatsoever.

I haven’t used my remote start for a month now. I will try it out again tomorrow and update you!

My problem with the truck right now is when I put on 4WD (ONLY 4WD) I hear some low hum/squeak noise….

Gnix

Reaction score
Update: still starts perfectly with ram app, I assume the remote starter would be the same.

Maybe check your air intake and throttle body to see if anything is inside?

N7GZN

Reaction score
I've had the same hesitation issue which has gotten progressively worse, despite doing the two full throttle pedal cycles with the engine ON and not running.
Last weekend I bought a can of throttle body /carb cleaner, removed the throttle body, and cleaned out the carbon buildup. Tools needed: small slotted screwdriver to release the electrical connector locks, and to release the wire harness christmas tree mount.
An 8mm deep socket and a ratchet to remove the four retaining screws.
The o-ring does not require replacement. Once removed the throttle body was cleaned and reinstalled in about 20 minutes, and now the hesitation is gone and power seems much more linear just off of idle.
In my opinion, the back side of the TB didn't look that dirty, however I cant complain with the results.
About $7.00 for a can of cleaner, and 20 minutes of my time

N7GZN

Reaction score
I also noticed upon reassembly that the intake ducting had oil adjacent to the pcv line juncture area. This seems consistent with not installing an oil catch can, and about 110k of operation. I swabbed out the intake duct. The MAF sensor looked ok so I didn't mess with it.

Users who are viewing this thread