5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 bed extender mount points?

jchuchla

Reaction score
I took delivery of my 22 with 5'7" Rambox bed last week. I got the bed divider accessory with it, but was surprised to see that the mount points to use it as a bed extender are not there. The divider seems exactly the same as my 2014 was, but the 2014 had pegs and latches on the inside of the rear of the box to attach the divider over the tailgate for added bed capacity. I didn't use this all that often on my 2014 with 6'4 bed., but with the shorter bed, It feels like I'll be wanting it more often. I already had one occasion where I wanted to use it like that. It seems like there's plugs in the sides of the bed where these mount points would go, is it possible to order the parts to add this feature?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They were removed, it's not considered a bed extension any more. You can use the same mounts that the previous years used.

jchuchla

Reaction score
They were removed, it's not considered a bed extension any more. You can use the same mounts that the previous years used.
Interesting. I assume they're just trying to save a few bucks. Have you added the mount parts back to yours? What model/year did you use for reference when getting the part numbers?

jgmac98

Reaction score
part numbers are 68054996AA for the swivel Release (need 2 of them, 1 for each side) and 68054997AB for the inner pannel grommet (again, you need 2 of these).

The reason seems to be some issue with when used as a bed extender, when looking at an angle, it blocks the view of the break light on the far side... not sure a cop will ever pull you over for that infraction, but likely RAM can't sell the truck with the pins for that reason. I believe these part numbers are from a Gen4 truck, but they should fit a Gen5 as well.

jchuchla

Reaction score

pcolaram1500

Reaction score
Thanks. I just found an aftermarket replacement kit on amazon for only $20. We'll see if they work.
You should be fine. I ordered these off of Amazon, worked perfect. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092LJTNHC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

deepc6

Reaction score
I went pickup some supplies today and I just realized there are no mounting points for the tail gate extender. The ones which were recommended on Amazon are no longer available. Has anyone tried the other ones.

For the installation do you just remove the 4 plastics covers or do you need to remove the larger plastic cover?

Does anyone recall if the 4th gen had a larger plastic cover or was it made of metal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deepc6

Reaction score

Did you install these on a classic 5th gen?
The reason I ask is because the manufacturer has this disclaimer.

“[Notice of Bed Divider Handles] Please note that the tailgate release handle and grommets are intended for D.S only, NOT to be used on DJ or DT. Installing it onto the 2019 or later DJ and DT trucks will violate lighting obstruction requirements.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mirowpl

Reaction score
I ordered mine for a gen 4 truck. They fit perfect. No instructions come with them, but it’s easy to figure it out.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ditto to the post above - were these installed on a 4th gen or 5th gen?
They have to have that disclaimer. The parts are the same, but when installed as an extender, they no longer pass DOT standards, due to the tail lights being obstructed.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
They have to have that disclaimer. The parts are the same, but when installed as an extender, they no longer pass DOT standards, due to the tail lights being obstructed.
As true as that might be, they don't block the taillights, nor are they even in front of them. It's inside the tailgate.

Driving with your tailgate open blocks the taillights as much as the bed extender does.

Ditto to the post above - were these installed on a 4th gen or 5th gen?
You need to order the ones that fit "Ram classic" 2018.
The ones I have were from ebay and the listing is no longer there.
Make sure the bottom thread fits, as I got a set of Amazon with the same size thread, and it needs to be 2 different threads for the 2 differnet parts (2 parts per side)
The part where you insert it into will also be painted over but don't worry about breaking the paint off and just get it in nice and tight.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As true as that might be, they don't block the taillights, nor are they even in front of them. It's inside the tailgate.

Driving with your tailgate open blocks the taillights as much as the bed extender does.

You need to order the ones that fit "Ram classic" 2018.
The ones I have were from ebay and the listing is no longer there.
Make sure the bottom thread fits, as I got a set of Amazon with the same size thread, and it needs to be 2 different threads for the 2 differnet parts (2 parts per side)
The part where you insert it into will also be painted over but don't worry about breaking the paint off and just get it in nice and tight.
According to the DOT, it blocks the taillights, when it is used as an extender. They can be seen from straight behind, but they must be able to be seen at a certain angle, which I forget. 4th gens, the tail lights wrapped around more than 5th gens, and were acceptable. The 5th gen tail lights can not be seen at that angle, so the same part can not be factory sold as an extender. The parts are all the same, but they can not sell it with the attaching hardware. DOT has many standards that most people are not aware of. Things like tail light lenses have to have the little diamond shapes in them if you look close. Those diamonds have specifications of shape, size, and quantity to refract properly. Aftermarket sellers can sell parts that don't meet specs, but manufacturers have to.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
According to the DOT, it blocks the taillights, when it is used as an extender. They can be seen from straight behind, but they must be able to be seen at a certain angle, which I forget. 4th gens, the tail lights wrapped around more than 5th gens, and were acceptable. The 5th gen tail lights can not be seen at that angle, so the same part can not be factory sold as an extender. The parts are all the same, but they can not sell it with the attaching hardware. DOT has many standards that most people are not aware of. Things like tail light lenses have to have the little diamond shapes in them if you look close. Those diamonds have specifications of shape, size, and quantity to refract properly. Aftermarket sellers can sell parts that don't meet specs, but manufacturers have to.
I mean whatever DOT says they say, I just mean in the real world.
I don't think you are suppose to drive with your tailgate down in general, let alone have a bed extender attached.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's really no different than the truck with a 25 foot ladder hanging over your hood with a tiny red piece of tape on it and one broken brake light. Safety first!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online