5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Backcountry test drive

gpk43

Reaction score
While STILL waiting for my MSO, I took my 2022 Backcountry for a test drive yesterday.

This truck has all the right feel and power. I have the straight 5.7 Hemi, Backcountry & Level 2 package. The interior is very well appointed and nice to look at. Having had 8 Rams in the past, to include a 2018 Rebel, the Backcountry is the best for me.

For those who ordered the Backcountry - you will not be disappointed!

jlrozzi

Reaction score
Glad to hear it. Should know here in a couple weeks hopefully!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grimgreg

Reaction score
I have had mine a month, and just got back from a 2000 mile round trip in it. One of the smoothest, quietest, most comfortable rides I have had making that trip. The 3 other vehicles I have done the same trip in the past were a 2018 Caravan, 2018 Infiniti QX30, and a 2017 Tesla S. No lie, quieter than the Tesla going 75 down the highway.

jlrozzi

Reaction score
You guys back country’s have wireless phone charging? I’ve heard it comes standard with unconnect 5 now?

Grimgreg

Reaction score
You guys back country’s have wireless phone charging? I’ve heard it comes standard with unconnect 5 now?

Nope, honestly didn't want it, I keep my phone in a case. I just plug my phone in and put it in the otherwise useless cubby where they would have put the CD player. I tried using the cradle where the wireless would be and it just flopped into the bottom of the console when I left a stop light.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Nope, honestly didn't want it, I keep my phone in a case. I just plug my phone in and put it in the otherwise useless cubby where they would have put the CD player. I tried using the cradle where the wireless would be and it just flopped into the bottom of the console when I left a stop light.
What? The phone cradle holds my phone very securely. There's no way mine would come out, even if I had a TRX using launch control.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm guessing it is due to my case, it is a leather wallet type.
Did you actually push the phone down into the holder, or just set it on the holder? Even my old bare iphone X stays securely in place when it's pushed down into the holder.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm guessing it is due to my case, it is a leather wallet type.
Yeah, I could see that. When you have a holder that is also a wireless charger, it doesn't make sense for it to accommodate a bulky case.

Grimgreg

Reaction score
Did you actually push the phone down into the holder, or just set it on the holder? Even my old bare iphone X stays securely in place when it's pushed down into the holder.
Yep, felt secure when I pushed it in, just flopped right out with the go pedal.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yep, felt secure when I pushed it in, just flopped right out with the go pedal.
Weird. If anything, my phone is harder to remove if it has a case. At least you have a cubby to store it in. My truck doesn't have the cubby, but does have the wireless charger. Since my phone seems very secure there it's not an issue. Now if I could only remember to grab my phone when I get where I'm going. More often than not I'm running back out to my truck to grab my phone after going inside.

U

User_3336

While STILL waiting for my MSO, I took my 2022 Backcountry for a test drive yesterday.

This truck has all the right feel and power. I have the straight 5.7 Hemi, Backcountry & Level 2 package. The interior is very well appointed and nice to look at. Having had 8 Rams in the past, to include a 2018 Rebel, the Backcountry is the best for me.

So, how is a Back Country's ride any different than any other trim level RAM makes??

Its amazing how many trim levels and special editions they can make up, but essentially, its still the same truck.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score

I just ordered a Backcountry. Every one I've seen pictures of has the black step bars. However, the information in the dealer's ordering screen didn't list them. I assume yours has them?

CCA

Reaction score
So, how is a Back Country's ride any different than any other trim level RAM makes??

Its amazing how many trim levels and special editions they can make up, but essentially, its still the same truck.
CDJR ( minus Chrysler lol) products really do have a incredible selection of trims. Its hard to keep up with half of what's going on with them. Every new model is the "best and most capable model" over its predecessor lol. A couple of factors benefit a smooth ride from wheels, size, type, shock type, air ride suspension, lift kit, etc. Every truck seems to ride just a little bit different!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
CDJR ( minus Chrysler lol) products really do have a incredible selection of trims. Its hard to keep up with half of what's going on with them. Every new model is the "best and most capable model" over its predecessor lol. A couple of factors benefit a smooth ride from wheels, size, type, shock type, air ride suspension, lift kit, etc. Every truck seems to ride just a little bit different!
Not arguing with your comment. I agree with most of what you said. I'm just pointing out the fact that the Backcountry is not a trim level, it's an option package for a Big Horn. Just like the 10th Anniversary Limited is an option package for a Limited. Greg is correct when he says it's essentially the same truck. I'm pretty sure he was directing his comment to the OP because he was very specific about it being a Backcountry. A truck with the Backcountry package essentially isn't much different from any other Big Horn. Or even any other Ram 1500 trim level (excluding TRX of course).

CCA

Reaction score
Not arguing with your comment. I agree with most of what you said. I'm just pointing out the fact that the Backcountry is not a trim level, it's an option package for a Big Horn. Just like the 10th Anniversary Limited is an option package for a Limited. Greg is correct when he says it's essentially the same truck. I'm pretty sure he was directing his comment to the OP because he was very specific about it being a Backcountry. A truck with the Backcountry package essentially isn't much different from any other Big Horn. Or even any other Ram 1500 trim level (excluding TRX of course).
Mike thanks for your input, my verbiage and was def off a bit ( I may have just stated to much out of context). I appreciate you for letting me know.

PepperellFF

Reaction score

mine does not have the wireless charger, going to order from dealer

jlrozzi

Reaction score
how long did you guys take from BS to WS. Im in framing today, was wondering if "Body vendor" might take a little longer with the extra options that come with the back country.

Grimgreg

Reaction score
how long did you guys take from BS to WS. Im in framing today, was wondering if "Body vendor" might take a little longer with the extra options that come with the back country.
I honestly didn't follow mine that close, but it was just shy of 2 months from order to delivery, with holidays in between (12/21-2/18).

The only part that takes extra time is the bed liner, but even that only takes half a day to prep, paint and dry.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score

mine does not have the wireless charger, going to order from dealer
I did a quick check and the first mention I could find of the charging pad is in the Limited Longhorn trim as part of the Longhorn Level 1 equipment group. It isn't part of the Backcountry package and I don't believe it can be optioned on a Big Horn. Someone may know more about which trims it's available on, but it isn't standard with Uconnect 5.

I find the cradle in the console is very well designed and has a cutout for a cord, so I don't see the point in the charging pad. Plus it's like $200 to buy the part plus whatever is involved with installing it. That's a hard pass for me.

Users who are viewing this thread