5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 5.7 stumble and popping on startup

thebearded1

Reaction score
I just bought a 2022 1500 warlock with the 5.7 non e torque. At about 200 miles during a cold start from sitting overnight the truck would almost stall out several times before maintaining an idle. This morning it tried stalling out 5 times and was popping until it stayed at an idle. It would drop down to below 500rpms. I am dropping the truck off at my local dealer Monday but they said I don't have an actual appointment but hopefully they can look at it sometime that day. Has anyone else had this issue? I tried posting the video I took showing the tech but it was too large.

Gene

thebearded1

Reaction score
To add this only happens currently on startups where the truck has sat overnight. I love in Maryland and morning temps have been in the mid 60s to 70s F. The truck has not done it yet after leaving from work. While driving it doesn't have any issues.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Mine does that from time to time as well. I brought it to the dealer on a couple different occasions but of course it never did that while it was there. Earlier this year the truck was doing it pretty regularly and then stopped for a while. The only thing the dealer mentioned was that they had been "seeing bad gas" but who knows if that is true or not.

thebearded1

Reaction score
Mine does that from time to time as well. I brought it to the dealer on a couple different occasions but of course it never did that while it was there. Earlier this year the truck was doing it pretty regularly and then stopped for a while. The only thing the dealer mentioned was that they had been "seeing bad gas" but who knows if that is true or not.
I'm afraid it won't do it at the dealer either. I did take a video and will take a video tomorrow in case it is bad with the popping just to prove to the mechanics i'm not making stuff up or an idiot haha. If they come up with a solution I will definitely post it here. I feel like if it was bad gas the truck would run rough at idle and cruising. I haven't even put gas in the truck yet since i bought it from the dealer :(

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I'm afraid it won't do it at the dealer either. I did take a video and will take a video tomorrow in case it is bad with the popping just to prove to the mechanics i'm not making stuff up or an idiot haha. If they come up with a solution I will definitely post it here. I feel like if it was bad gas the truck would run rough at idle and cruising. I haven't even put gas in the truck yet since i bought it from the dealer :(
Yeah I don't think it's gas either but without their cpu hooked up when it starts rough we probably won't get any good data. There was another thread on here mentioning this issue before but I don't think anyone has resolved it.

thebearded1

Reaction score
Yeah I don't think it's gas either but without their cpu hooked up when it starts rough we probably won't get any good data. There was another thread on here mentioning this issue before but I don't think anyone has resolved it.
Yup hopefully it does it for them. It has done it 3 days in a row now. I wish dealers had cpu recorders they could loan out so i'm not out of a truck and can bring it back after it's acted up again and then the info would be on the recorder. The dealer i'm taking it to didn't have any loaner vehicles.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Yup hopefully it does it for them. It has done it 3 days in a row now. I wish dealers had cpu recorders they could loan out so i'm not out of a truck and can bring it back after it's acted up again and then the info would be on the recorder. The dealer i'm taking it to didn't have any loaner vehicles.
Fingers Crossed! Yeah that would be nice. That sucks they didn't have any loaner vehicles.

thebearded1

Reaction score
It got worse on Thursday and completely cut off while trying to start after stumbling. I was able to take the wife's car Friday and probably won't use the truck much over the weekend if at all. Really hoping they can figure it out. Maybe I will luck out and they will have a loaner car or else i'm going to be up crap creek

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Since it apparently ran fine when you picked it up, have you checked under your hood for something amiss? You didn't mention whether your CEL was on, so you might check for a loose ground at or near the battery. I've also seen in the past where some fuses weren't fully seated - try removing the fuse box cover in the engine compartment and lightly pushing down on all of the fuses and relays. It's also possible that a rodent climbed in there and chewed through something. Just some thoughts off the top of my head

thebearded1

Reaction score
No Check engine light and nothing in the "messages" section. Sorry i should have mentioned they were off. Nothing looks out of place under the hood. Will check the fuses and take a look for any loose grounds or chewed wires.

thebearded1

Reaction score
Besides the stumbling issue the truck runs fine while driving. Even after the time it stumbled and then cut off. When I went to restart it it fired up fine with no stumble at all. I'm going to let the service department know they need to take whatever tools to the truck when they start it and can't just pull it in to the shop to check it out since it has only done it on cold starts when the truck has sat overnight. Not trying to tell them how to do their job but don't want them to miss the chance to watch the problem and have to wait longer for my truck to get back.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Besides the stumbling issue the truck runs fine while driving. Even after the time it stumbled and then cut off. When I went to restart it it fired up fine with no stumble at all. I'm going to let the service department know they need to take whatever tools to the truck when they start it and can't just pull it in to the shop to check it out since it has only done it on cold starts when the truck has sat overnight. Not trying to tell them how to do their job but don't want them to miss the chance to watch the problem and have to wait longer for my truck to get back.
Yup that's what mine does too. Just starts bad and sometimes accelerates bad if I don't give it enough pedal when first starting out but after about 30secs it's fine. It's been starting less rough recently but there were a few weeks where it was really bad.

thebearded1

Reaction score
So far it has completely cut out twice now. The second time was today when i took it to the dealer. They did check the codes quickly and it had a random misfire fault but they said that doesn't help them figure it out. Clearly I knew it was misfiring when it was popping under the hood haha. They still didn't have any loaner vehicles and when i contacted FCA about the issue they said they would reimburse me for $60/day for a rental from Enterprise but my local Enterprises don't have any cars and said the cheapest thing they rent is $80 a day. The dealer said it's likely going to take a few days since it only does it once on a cold start. I will post updates if they figure something out. I can't imagine all that backfiring through the intake is good for all the sensors.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wish dealers had cpu recorders they could loan out so i'm not out of a truck and can bring it back after it's acted up again and then the info would be on the recorder.
They do, it's called a flight recorder. The issue is some people/customers have left and never returned the flight recorder. It is also their "pod" they use to scan the vehicle. Sucks when customers take a $750 tool and don't return it.

thebearded1

Reaction score
They do, it's called a flight recorder. The issue is some people/customers have left and never returned the flight recorder. It is also their "pod" they use to scan the vehicle. Sucks when customers take a $750 tool and don't return it.
Yea I completely understand it's way too much of a risk for dealers. Another random thought I had was it would be cool to put temp sensors on the calipers with a read out in the truck so you could immediately tell when a caliper was sticking. I had that problem with my Silverado

thebearded1

Reaction score
Dropped it off at the dealer Monday but still no luck they told me Wednesday morning that they were able to replicate the issues on Tuesday late in the day. Called today no updates and they still don't have any loaner vehicles. I spoke with FCA and they said they would reimburse me $60/day for an enterprise rental but the enterprises near me don't have any cars available and the cheapest thing they rent anyways is $80/day FCA never got back to me about them upping what they would cover.

It felt great getting my bill for my first payment for a brand new truck i can't even drive!

Rebel2022

Reaction score
Mine has been acting like this now that mornings are getting colder. Stalled once last when switching from reverse to drive. Took several turns of the engine to restart as well. Most mornings now it does hesitate, stumble and surge for a minute or two. Kind of behaves a bit like an old nissan hardbody 4x4 with a carburated engine I had 25 years ago.

Jamesontf

Reaction score
My 2019 did the exact same thing. I had pulsar and a CAI, I always wondered if that complicated the issue as it did do a couple times prior to me having those items installed. I just traded in for a 2022, and haven’t had any issues….my only fix was to take it to the dealer, let it sit for a couple days, rent a car. Then have the dealer tell me they couldn’t recreate the issue. It would work great for 2-3 months….

Louhound88

Reaction score
I've never had that problem but I have noticed a clear difference between good and bad gas. I put 89 and occasionally put 91 when I'm at an unfamiliar gas station. But if ever I put 87 my engine is noticeably noisier and just doesn't have the same umph I guess on cold starts.

Just letting my truck sit overnight I'll have a pretty significant first rev, then it'll idle high around 1500rpm for maybe 30 seconds until it settles down to a "normal" idle rpm. This is with 89 gas.

If I run 87 for a few tanks and eventually have just 87 gas in my tank, then cold starts are a lot weaker and the cold engine wants to tick/knock etc. It's clearly not liking the gas. Even some shady gas stations have 89 gas that will cause this for me. But I've never had it stall or stumble from low rpm.

thebearded1

Reaction score
I have only put 89 octane in but the problem started before i even put gas in the truck. I was still running on the original tank from the dealer.

I spoke with the service department today and they said they were able to get it to do it again but it doesn't do it long enough to show any codes and they can only get it to do it once a day. It's sad to know they have to rely so much on codes now and can't do any direct diagnosing based on how the vehicle is acting. I know they just don't want to throw parts at it but they need to try something. It did it for me every day for 4 days straight. I didn't drive it for 3 days as my salesman said i should avoid driving it till I can get it to a dealer. Monday came around to take it to the dealerd and like a charm it stumbled popped and cut out again. The dealer hasn't given me a loaner and FCA hasn't been much help either.

It's really frustrating having a truck with less than 500 miles sit in the shop. I am keeping track of everything in case i need to file a lemon law claim. In Maryland the lemon law states "The vehicle could not be used for 30 days or more during its warranty period (24 months or 18,000 miles) because of a problem;" This coming Monday it will be going on 8 days the truck has been at the dealer plus the 3 days I was advised not to drive it. Only time will tell whats going to happen.

I imagine it has to be a bad sensor or something electrical. When it was having the issue the lows were only in the 60s so it wasn't very cold.

Users who are viewing this thread