5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 5.7 ETorque Tow/Haul Mode defect

Pokey69

Reaction score
Instead of comparing sizes here can we get back to the original question? So many of us eTorque’ers are having the same issue and I’m curious if anyone is still having problems after the update? I’m not in position to get mine updated for another week or two due to work schedule.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Instead of comparing sizes here can we get back to the original question? So many of us eTorque’ers are having the same issue and I’m curious if anyone is still having problems after the update? I’m not in position to get mine updated for another week or two due to work schedule.
Took mine in for oil change and tire rotation today. Told them about the issue and they scheduled me to come back to get the update done.

I started turning the auto start/stop off when I'm towing and haven't had the issue in something like 1500 miles of towing now.

Pokey69

Reaction score
Took mine in for oil change and tire rotation today. Told them about the issue and they scheduled me to come back to get the update done.

I started turning the auto start/stop off when I'm towing and haven't had the issue in something like 1500 miles of towing now.
Thanks buddy. Im not big on the start/stop and always try to turn it off but maybe I left it on the three times I had the issue. I’ll try it out.

Mpgrimm2

Reaction score

There's a dedicated thread with additional info on this issue....

2022 1500 eTorque - Tow/Haul Mode causes LIMP MODE (Star Case S2221000001)

19-21 5.7 hemi eTorque are okay...

22 5.7 hemi eTorque have the issue and there's a TSB in the thread I linked to update the hybrid control module SW to fix it... Just came out this week.

3 weeks and 1800 miles after the update... All good here

Last edited:

fishslayer

Reaction score
It’s only able to move the truck one-half of a single tire rotation.

Engine torque overruns the BSG output long before 2,000 rpm, it does nothing under heavy loads.
so the 130 ft lbs of torque the 48 v E-torque sustem produces is used to turn 1/2 of one rotation and nothing else in any capacity to assist the truck engine? thats your statement ? just want to be sure, the engineers went thru all trouble and expense including the 48v briefcase battery and the braking operated recharging system, all that to just turn the engine 1/2 of one rotation.. All 48 volts of the starter generator just to turn 1/2 of one rotation?

fishslayer

Reaction score
from CONSUMER REPORTS ...
For 2019, the eTorque mild-hybrid system will come standard on all 3.6-liter V6 Ram models, and will be available on 5.7-liter Hemis. Note, however, that Ram will not be using the word “hybrid” in its advertising (more on that a little later).

Simpler in many ways than other hybrid systems, eTorque employs a combination starter/generator/motor (SGM) in place of the engine’s alternator. The SGM operates as an alternator does, but also charges an onboard 48-volt battery during braking and deceleration. That stored energy is harnessed by the SGM during acceleration, providing supplemental power when needed.

Because the eTorque system works through engine’s accessory belt and provides power through the engine crankshaft, it cannot propel the vehicle on electric power alone, hence the “mild” hybrid monicker....................... did you see the SUPPLEMENTAL POWER WHEN NEEDED part?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
so the 130 ft lbs of torque the 48 v E-torque sustem produces is used to turn 1/2 of one rotation and nothing else in any capacity to assist the truck engine? thats your statement ? just want to be sure, the engineers went thru all trouble and expense including the 48v briefcase battery and the braking operated recharging system, all that to just turn the engine 1/2 of one rotation.. All 48 volts of the starter generator just to turn 1/2 of one rotation?

1) the Hemi’s eTorque generator only produces 49 lb-ft of torque

2) Correct, one-half of one tire rotation

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
“The Hemi's eTorque motor is good for 16 horses and 49 lb-ft and, again, multiplied through a slightly different ratio for an assist of 130 lb-ft.”

Smaller Pulley up top, large pulley down bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAL9001

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie without E torque, and happily, I have had "0" issues with pulling my travel trailer. It must be something with the
E-torque motors?
I've used the tow-haul mode extensively on my 21 1500 Limited eTorque with no apparent issues.

fishslayer

Reaction score
1) the Hemi’s eTorque generator only produces 49 lb-ft of torque

2) Correct, one-half of one tire rotation

from FCA What is Ram eTorque and What Does it Do?​

Ram eTorque captures braking energy, stores it, and then uses it to provide support to the vehicle’s engine when it is operating at low speeds. Functioning like regeneration technology found in hybrid models, Ram eTorque is very unique due to its application in truck models, offering efficiency without sacrificing power

What are the Benefits of Ram eTorque?​

The following processes and functions of Ram eTorque detailed above provide 3 distinct improvements in comparison to the use of an alternator in previous generations. Those are:

Additional Payload Capacity

Additional Towing Capacity

Better Fuel Economy

As we mentioned above, Ram eTorque acts as an alternator (electric generator) replacement but also serves additional functions. Ram eTorque’s 48-volt system keeps the vehicle’s battery charged, helps to quickly shut off and then restart the vehicle motor during the use of an Automatic Start/Stop system, and acts as a mild hybrid system for the powertrain, when needed at low rpm. This, on an extreme technicality, means that the current Ram 1500 model qualifies as a hybrid model.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Ram eTorque captures braking energy, stores it, and then uses it to provide support to the vehicle’s engine when it is operating at low speeds. Functioning like regeneration technology found in hybrid models, Ram eTorque is very unique due to its application in truck models, offering efficiency without sacrificing power

The following processes and functions of Ram eTorque detailed above provide 3 distinct improvements in comparison to the use of an alternator in previous generations. Those are:

Better Fuel Economy

As we mentioned above, Ram eTorque acts as an alternator (electric generator) replacement but also serves additional functions. Ram eTorque’s 48-volt system keeps the vehicle’s battery charged, helps to quickly shut off and then restart the vehicle motor during the use of an Automatic Start/Stop system, and acts as a mild hybrid system for the powertrain, when needed at low rpm. This, on an extreme technicality, means that the current Ram 1500 model qualifies as a hybrid model.
I don't know about the added payload capacity; I'd have ordered without etorque if I knew it dropped payload 200lbs. The video posted a ways up that explains the 6 things etorque does is still the best explanantion.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Better Fuel Economy

You’re drinking the kool-aid

PepperellFF

Reaction score
22 Backcountry have towed my 5600lb travel trailer a few hundred miles with no issues. I have noticed when I have the T/H selected the auto start stop does not activate. could be a coincidence but I assumed that was normal. I have a few hundred mile trip coming up through the mountains hope this is not an issue.

Haneyrm

Reaction score
Had 2019 non eTorque, 2021 with eTorque and now a 2022 non eTorque. Only difference I noticed was the MDS transition was less noticeable with the eTorque truck. My eTorque truck got the worst gas mileage of any of them but that could be due to a lot of factors.

I prefer the non eTorque trucks. Don’t like auto start/stop and having to disable every time I start the truck. My other vehicle also has auto start/stop. I pushed the button to disable it the day I drove it off the lot and have not had to push it again in over a year.

I tow a 27’ twin engine boat that‘s roughly 8,000 lbs. All 3 trucks handled it about the same. All 3 trucks included 3.92 gears. I use T/H mode when pulling the boat and never had any issues. I also have a 16’ utility trailer. I do not use T/H mode for that trailer. It’s not necessary.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
22 Backcountry have towed my 5600lb travel trailer a few hundred miles with no issues. I have noticed when I have the T/H selected the auto start stop does not activate. could be a coincidence but I assumed that was normal. I have a few hundred mile trip coming up through the mountains hope this is not an issue.
I noticed this as well. With T/H mode activated the engine never shut off while the vehicle was stopped.

Mpgrimm2

Reaction score
I noticed this as well. With T/H mode activated the engine never shut off while the vehicle was stopped.
This is normal & By design for T/H to deactivate the start stop ... as well as disables cylinder deactivation

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
so has anyone had this issue with trucks built after the fix was introduced out of curiosity?

Users who are viewing this thread