5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 1500 Big Horn Speaker Upgrade Nightmare!!

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
First, I still can't find a separate 'Audio' section here in the 5th Gen Forums... it sure would be nice if there was one, would make looking for audio related questions/answers a lot easier.

So, I got my Skar Audio TX69s and TX35s the other day... along with the Metra 72-6514 adapters for my 2022 Big Horn. Got all my tools out last night since the weather was decent... "sweet, let's knock this out"!! Nope. First, the 3.5" speaker adapters are not the 72-6514s... didn't know that, even from reading a bunch of posts on audio system/speaker upgrades here and other forums. So, since I couldn't put those in... onto the door 6x9's.

Second, as some have shared... the Metra 72-6514s have the polarity reversed. Ugh. Can't someone have fixed this by now?!? I thought, screw it... I'll solder the wires on... for a better connection anyways. Third, I go to actually put the speaker into the mounting position... it DOESN'T FIT!?! WTF??? The speaker itself is too big. The 'basket' part, where it starts to curve out from the flat part is about 1/2" too long, length-wise. Jesus.

Fourth, I noticed the front dash speakers (3.5") were 8 ohms... what?!? I thought folks were saying everything was 2 ohms, and when changing to 4, you'd need more power to drive them for loudness? Seems odd for an 8 ohm to be in a modern vehicle nowadays.

I came to the conclusion that I need to try some spacers... another thing I didn't know. I read the Skar Audio 6x9's were "drop in" ready. Very frustrating to say the least... as I didn't get anything done.

I got spacers and Red Wolf front dash speaker adapters on order (the correct ones)... hoping to complete the install Saturday or Sunday. These speakers better sound good for all I'm going through here!! 🙄🤞🤞

Hope some of this info helps others... so they don't go down the same road I did and waste 2+hrs.

Gregg

P.S. For the life of me, I couldn't get the handle release cable to come out of the door panel. I've watched numerous YT videos on how to remove the door panels, but my 22' doesn't have the 2 'tabs' to squeeze together to remove the cable, then twist the silver end to remove. So I had to get the speaker out and in with resting the door panel on the running board... which is next to impossible.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Attachments

• 20231102_162331.jpg
    20231102_162331.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20231102_162806.jpg
    20231102_162806.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20231102_171935.jpg
    20231102_171935.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20231102_181428.jpg
    20231102_181428.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 32

23RAM

Reaction score
These speakers better sound good for all I'm going through here!!
If your current speakers lack tweeters, then they'll sound better. But don't expect anything near audiophile quality from them - Skar is exaggerated junk and you get what you pay for. Take their specs with a very large grain of salt too - for instance they're not 240w speakers, they're 60w speakers. Their sizes are often larger than standard which explains why they don't fit. I've heard many complaints about their sizes not being drop-in replacements. Also my opinion of them is very low as I know good sound when I hear it, and Skar is not it. I have a high end audio system at home to compare and find the 9-speaker+sub Alpine system in my truck is lacking quite a bit. It's ok fora factory system, but far from great.

I trust you're adding an amp to drive them?

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
Not adding (or planning to add) an amp.

I was going to go with the JBLs I used in my 2016 Big Horn (as I really liked those), but I kept seeing folks say how much they liked the Skar brand... "for the money".

Well, after spending $45K on a vehicle... there's not a lot of 'extra' money laying around, so I thought they'd be a good choice. Sound quality is highly subjective to us all... as everyone has their own set of ears and hears things differently.

In comparing the stock paper cone speakers... just about ANYTHING 'should' sound better than they do. I'm not expecting them to blow me away, but for the $150.00 total for (6) speakers, I would think they'd sound better.

With so many manufacturers out there... it's tough deciding, because everyone's tastes are different. I, too, have an awesome home theater setup in a theater room... and I'm not expecting to get my truck to sound anywhere close to that, FWIW. Just something that isn't so "flat" sounding would be nice...

23RAM

Reaction score
Not adding (or planning to add) an amp.
You really should, the heavier cone mass needs power to get them pumping.
I was going to go with the JBLs I used in my 2016 Big Horn (as I really liked those), but I kept seeing folks say how much they liked the Skar brand... "for the money".
They're justifying their purchases...most people won't admit they should have spent more on quality speakers.
Well, after spending $45K on a vehicle... there's not a lot of 'extra' money laying around, so I thought they'd be a good choice.
I get that...hard times all around for most. But sometimes spending more to get quality matters, such as an investment like a decent speaker system that you will not need to upgrade again.

I tell that to people who ask advice on home theaters and audio systems - they usually buy cheap and then pay again to upgrade later and then I say, "I told you so".
😁
Sound quality is highly subjective to us all... as everyone has their own set of ears and hears things differently.
People say this a lot. But the better audiophile gear always sounds good to anyone who knows good sound. Kids with 1990 Honda's and twin 12" subs pushing out their rear window don't know good sound.
In comparing the stock paper cone speakers... just about ANYTHING 'should' sound better than they do. I'm not expecting them to blow me away, but for the $150.00 total for (6) speakers, I would think they'd sound better.
They'll probably sound better, but probably not as loud as the lightweight paper cones are easy to drive with just a head unit.
With so many manufacturers out there... it's tough deciding,
I agree, and many of the crap companies lie their asses off to sell their junk to unsuspecting buyers.
because everyone's tastes are different.
Taste is not a factor. Good speakers sound good, crap speakers sound like crap. All decent speakers sound pretty good. The best speakers are the ones that reproduce the original recording most accurately. The only people who say great speakers sound bad are kids in 1990 Honda's with twin 12" subs.
😁
I, too, have an awesome home theater setup in a theater room... and I'm not expecting to get my truck to sound anywhere close to that, FWIW. Just something that isn't so "flat" sounding would be nice...
My suggestion would be to look at brands like JBL, Polk, Kicker, etc. and an amp to drive them. It'll cost a bit more, but it's well worth it if you want decent sound. You bought a decent truck and will likely keep it for many years - might as well enjoy it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You really should, the heavier cone mass needs power to get them pumping.

They're justifying their purchases...most people won't admit they should have spent more on quality speakers.

I get that...hard times all around for most. But sometimes spending more to get quality matters, such as an investment like a decent speaker system that you will not need to upgrade again.

I tell that to people who ask advice on home theaters and audio systems - they usually buy cheap and then pay again to upgrade later and then I say, "I told you so".
😁

People say this a lot. But the better audiophile gear always sounds good to anyone who knows good sound. Kids with 1990 Honda's and twin 12" subs pushing out their rear window don't know good sound.

They'll probably sound better, but probably not as loud as the lightweight paper cones are easy to drive with just a head unit.

I agree, and many of the crap companies lie their asses off to sell their junk to unsuspecting buyers.

Taste is not a factor. Good speakers sound good, crap speakers sound like crap. All decent speakers sound pretty good. The best speakers are the ones that reproduce the original recording most accurately. The only people who say great speakers sound bad are kids in 1990 Honda's with twin 12" subs.
😁

My suggestion would be to look at brands like JBL, Polk, Kicker, etc. and an amp to drive them. It'll cost a bit more, but it's well worth it if you want decent sound. You bought a decent truck and will likely keep it for many years - might as well enjoy it.
There are far better car audio components than anything JBL, Polk, or Kicker offer. If you can buy it off the shelf at places like Best Buy, it's not good stuff

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
First, I still can't find a separate 'Audio' section here in the 5th Gen Forums... it sure would be nice if there was one, would make looking for audio related questions/answers a lot easier.

So, I got my Skar Audio TX69s and TX35s the other day... along with the Metra 72-6514 adapters for my 2022 Big Horn. Got all my tools out last night since the weather was decent... "sweet, let's knock this out"!! Nope. First, the 3.5" speaker adapters are not the 72-6514s... didn't know that, even from reading a bunch of posts on audio system/speaker upgrades here and other forums. So, since I couldn't put those in... onto the door 6x9's.

Second, as some have shared... the Metra 72-6514s have the polarity reversed. Ugh. Can't someone have fixed this by now?!? I thought, screw it... I'll solder the wires on... for a better connection anyways. Third, I go to actually put the speaker into the mounting position... it DOESN'T FIT!?! WTF??? The speaker itself is too big. The 'basket' part, where it starts to curve out from the flat part is about 1/2" too long, length-wise. Jesus.

Fourth, I noticed the front dash speakers (3.5") were 8 ohms... what?!? I thought folks were saying everything was 2 ohms, and when changing to 4, you'd need more power to drive them for loudness? Seems odd for an 8 ohm to be in a modern vehicle nowadays.

I came to the conclusion that I need to try some spacers... another thing I didn't know. I read the Skar Audio 6x9's were "drop in" ready. Very frustrating to say the least... as I didn't get anything done.

I got spacers and Red Wolf front dash speaker adapters on order (the correct ones)... hoping to complete the install Saturday or Sunday. These speakers better sound good for all I'm going through here!! 🙄🤞🤞

Hope some of this info helps others... so they don't go down the same road I did and waste 2+hrs.

Gregg

P.S. For the life of me, I couldn't get the handle release cable to come out of the door panel. I've watched numerous YT videos on how to remove the door panels, but my 22' doesn't have the 2 'tabs' to squeeze together to remove the cable, then twist the silver end to remove. So I had to get the speaker out and in with resting the door panel on the running board... which is next to impossible.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
What dash speakers do you have from factory? My factory 3.5 were definitely 2ohm. Just checked them. I replaced my dash speakers with Infinity reference. And my front door speakers with 3ohm CDT Audio

As for the door speaker adapters. The 72-6515 are correct polarity. But it's not that hard to swap the pins in the connector. Literally 30 seconds to swap them

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
My dash speakers are (soon to be 'were') 8ohms... I put a pic in the original post above, if you want a P/N.

Hoping to get to swapping tomorrow... if my Red Wolf front dash adapters ever arrive. I have everything else. Nice weather tomorrow too...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My dash speakers are (soon to be 'were') 8ohms... I put a pic in the original post above, if you want a P/N.

Hoping to get to swapping tomorrow... if my Red Wolf front dash adapters ever arrive. I have everything else. Nice weather tomorrow too...
Wonder if they put the wrong speakers in your truck on assembly line. The Alpine system shouldn't have 8ohm speakers.

23RAM

Reaction score
There are far better car audio components than anything JBL, Polk, or Kicker offer.
Of course there's better...there's always better. I'd like a set of JBL M2's and a pair of Crown 1.2kw's in my living room, but hey I'm not rich.
If you can buy it off the shelf at places like Best Buy, it's not good stuff
For budget conscious buyers, which is most of us, those brands deliver decent sound quality for a reasonable price. Just because Best Buy sells them, doesn't mean they're crap. I have Polk's in my boat and they sound good. They're not JL Audio, but they don't cost 5x as much either.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Of course there's better...there's always better. I'd like a set of JBL M2's and a pair of Crown 1.2kw's in my living room, but hey I'm not rich.

For budget conscious buyers, which is most of us, those brands deliver decent sound quality for a reasonable price. Just because Best Buy sells them, doesn't mean they're crap. I have Polk's in my boat and they sound good. They're not JL Audio, but they don't cost 5x as much either.
If you are "upgrading" because you want better sound than the factory systems, they aren't much better. Especially since most people buying stereo components from Best Buy probably don't even know about impedance matching and aren't installing an aftermarket amplifier to really make use of the new speakers.

GSchwizzy

Reaction score
Ok, all points taken here guys... no need to get into a pissin' match here. Everyone has their own opinion on things, and like I said, audio and audio quality is a highly subjective subject, like many other things. Hell, I'd love to own a Masserati... but current financial situations won't allow for that.

Anyways, I'll report back findings later today or tomorrow with thoughts... if anything, just to share for others who may come across this thread for info.

Also, FWIW... I don't have the Alpine system in my Big Horn, just the 'base' system.

23RAM

Reaction score
If you are "upgrading" because you want better sound than the factory systems, they aren't much better.
They're a LOT better than the paper whizzer cones in some factory systems. Not sure what comes in the RAM's basic 6-speaker system. It wouldn't be an upgrade if your truck has the Alpine or Harmon Kardon systems.

Poman

Reaction score
Hey, I also have a 2022 1500 Big Horn, I used the folowing:

1) Alpine R-S69.2 R-Series 6"x9" 2-way in the front doors.​

2) Infinity Reference REF-9633IX 6x9 3-Way Coaxial Speakers in the rear doors.​

3) Infinity Reference REF-3032cfx Reference Series 3-1/2" 2-way in the dash.
4) Metra 72-6514 Speaker Wiring Harness For 1999-up Chrysler/Dodge vehicles

I did NOT add a sub. The bass is more than adequate with these speakers. The volume will not shake your neighbors vehicle while stuck in traffic, but it's more than enough for me inside my cab. Good luck!

GSchwizzy

Reaction score

3) Infinity Reference REF-3032cfx Reference Series 3-1/2" 2-way in the dash.
4) Metra 72-6514 Speaker Wiring Harness For 1999-up Chrysler/Dodge vehicles

I did NOT add a sub. The bass is more than adequate with these speakers. The volume will not shake your neighbors vehicle while stuck in traffic, but it's more than enough for me inside my cab. Good luck!
Very nice. I considered going true Alpine, and still might. I got the Skar TX69s in one side today and RPX69s in the other side... thinking, I'll do a little 'experiment'. To me (again, to me)... the RPXs have a bit more bass than the TX series, but also seem a bit lower on the build quality. I did the TX35s in the dash, and they sound great... but going from 8ohms up there to 4ohms, they're quite loud now, so I had to fade to the rear quite a bit. I'll decide which (if any) Skar's I'm going to keep or if I'm going to do Alpine or Infinitys all around. The TXs were a pain to get in, as spacers were needed... then the factory screws were too short, ugh. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Can I ask why you chose some Alpines and some Infinity? Not knocking your choice whatsoever... just curious.

Last edited:

23RAM

Reaction score

Why did you mix the speaker models? Both 6x9 should be the same for a smoother soundfield.

All_Black_Lone_Star

Reaction score
So coming from someone that has Skar audio in their ram1500 and loves it. The tx3.5 fit without modifications in the stock locations. The tx69 need a half inch spacer for the front doors in order for the window not to hit. However this is common with most speakers that have a decent magnet. Unless you are shelling out money for high end neomagnet speakers. I will recommend you use bass blockers for the 3.5 speakers. Also wrap electrical tape around the resistor on the tx69 the hot glue they use loves to come off with the bass and can cause the connection to come free. I learned from experience. I have skar audio everything in my truck and it suits its purpose. I do not understand audiophiles that expect just because you want better and louder sound. That you somehow need high end equipment. I simply want to rattle the windows while still hearing the lyrics. Skar audio does that no problem for a fraction of the price. Is there better companies sure but in car audio it’s always best to pick your budget and build from there. Once you start you may be satisfied or you may fall down the rabbit hole and need more sound.

23RAM

Reaction score
So coming from someone that has Skar audio in their ram1500 and loves it
I'm sorry, if you love Skar, you don't really know true audio quality and should not offer buying advice to those who seek it.
I don't mean to offend, but if you don't know...well, you don't know. My grand daughter doesn't know, but I don't begrudge her for it because she has no experience.
Get out there and experience good sound...it might change your perspective.
I simply want to rattle the windows while still hearing the lyrics.
Seriously? No one wants to rattle the windows without the overall sound to match...unless your goal is to "impress" your friends with rattling noises and distortion.

Don't get me wrong...my home theater rattles the dishes and I love the deep bass impact, but the overall sound matches that sub output.
it’s always best to pick your budget and build from there
Actually, it's better to pick your goal, then build from there, otherwise you end up being disappointed with your results. It's not hard to set a goal and find a budget that meets those goals, but often people just focus on the budget and then wonder why it doesn't meet their goals. There are dozens of companies trying to get you to buy their crap speakers with BS marketing and lies, so if you know your goal, you won't buy their junk because you know it won't meet your needs. We're talking about a 1.5-2.0x cost difference here, not a lot really - yet it makes a HUGE difference in sound quality if you know what you want.

This isn't my first rodeo...

Poman

Reaction score
Can I ask why you chose some Alpines and some Infinity? Not knocking your choice whatsoever... just curious

I had the same setup in my 4th Gen 2014. The install, many years ago, was precipitated by extensive research. This was the optimal config. for sound vs. money spent. I encountered no problems with the install so I replicated it on my '22. To be honest it sounds better in the '14. I think I read somewhere that the 4th Gens. radio has a better built-in amp. I imagine an amp upgrade would sound amazing, but, again, would it be worth it, not to me, ymmv.

Poman

Reaction score
Why did you mix the speaker models? Both 6x9 should be the same for a smoother soundfield.
The install, many years ago on my '14, was precipitated by extensive research. This was the optimal config. for sound vs. money spent.

Users who are viewing this thread