5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rebel now has Auto4Hi?

Mattiusmaximus1216

Reaction score
Coming from a fully off-road/overland Toyota life for many many years I can tell you this 48-11 is good if you know how to use it. I specifically did not want the 48-12 with the chain system. Just like a chain on a bike it stretches and it will hop gears. Yes I know the clutch system on the 44s got hot, but honestly that’s user error. Know how to use your system.
BW makes Toyota transfer cases, Toyota refuses to use the same chain systems as the 48-12s for a reason.

hayasa

Reaction score
Are we sure about the 4Auto feature being simply a function of checking the box for the shift on demand transer case? Because there seems to be some disagreement here. And I thought the diesel Rebel has that same transfer case option but did NOT have 4Auto due to the greater torque from the engine. Am I wrong?

Last edited:

Mother

Reaction score
If you go to cars.com and search nationwide for a diesel rebel the first one that comes up that has pictures clearly shows the 4WD Auto button. Head to the dealer website and check the window sticker and you will see the electronic shift on demand transfer case option listed.

So yes, you are wrong.

NJT3

Reaction score
Can this be added to a 2021 at the dealer then? There's a coffee l couple in my area without it and it's it just popping in 195 component much like popping in the break control?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got a 2020, which is a diesel, and has the off-road group (same suspension as a Rebel) and I have the AWD 48-11. So there is clearly no reason NOT to use the 48-11 on a Rebel seeing as how the Rebel gets different tires and maybe a skid plate and that is the only difference.

BTW, I LOVED the 48-11 last month when half the country was getting slammed with snow and ice.

Boggeri4x4

Reaction score
I’ve spent the last 3 days immersing myself in videos, opinions, and documentation on the 48-11 vs 48-12 for my custom order Ram Rebel. I’ve come to the following conclusions.....

- I went with the 48-11 transfer case, with the 4wd auto button option. Myself, and more importantly my wife, will find ourselves in instances where we would want 4wd auto more than the “alleged” benefits of part time 4wd mechanical locking in the 48-12 VS the “dreaded” wet clutch locking In the 48-11. Besides am I really going to put my brand new truck in an off-road situation where I may need the alleged benefits of the 48-12? Maybe in 10 years.

- the 48-11 just became an option for the rebel in gen 5 late 2020 and 2021. In 2019 you could only get the 48-12. Maybe they waited to market soak the 48-11 see if there was slippage/overheating issues like the previous 44-44? I called around a bunch ram service depts and none have seen those issues with the 48-11.

- watching these videos where the 4H is not locking with the 48-11 seems to be mostly attributed to old school part time 4wd operating practices applied to new technology. With anything new, you need to adapt. Many have either self admitted after their videos that either the tires were too inflated, or their Traction Control and ESC were not disabled. Both of which need to be for true wet clutch 4H locking. Also, I’ve seen plenty of off-roading 2021 big horns, Laramie, and limiteds with no issues and all of those have the 48-11, the off road package does not swap it out to the 48-12

- I cannot find any details on the mechanical improvements to the 48-11 despite general statements stating it’s more robust. This ticks me off. If you want to keep transfer case differences generic on the surface as a marketing ploy, whatever. But don’t make details completely unobtainable for potential customers.

- another post I read was a eureka moment. A clutch IS a mechanical lock. Your transmission has one. Cargo ships I worked on with medium speed diesels of which were the size of a ram 1500 were clutched to the propeller shaft. Seriously what’s the big deal?

- clutch components, including friction plates and transfer case internals should be covered by the power train warranty. Which is 5/100k with the ecodiesel which I am getting.(although I am curious with the diesel having more torque than the etorque hemi, I hope I don’t need new friction plates in my transfer case everytime I attemp to off-road.LOL

BUT IM PUMPED! Ill post photos when I get it.

bcwood64

Reaction score
Like others stated it became a option in late MY20 and still a option in MY21. My buddys 2021 Rebel has the 4Auto just like my Bighorn.

When I go offroad at the beach and air down and disable traction control and ESC the T-Case performs just fine. Again I'm not rock crawling with it but it acted like a normal 4HI or 4Lo T-Case I had in my 2007 Wrangler or 2012 Xterra.

Last edited:

Trailer Swift

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2021 Rebel 5.7, with the 4WD auto, and had no idea this was 'maybe' an issue until now. I would've preferred to not have the 4WD auto, as I'm coming from a bulletproof 3rd gen 4runner, but I'm a modern guy who even has a pink shirt or two in the closet so why not?? While I love wheeling, I have to be honest about how badly I'm going to beat on my $62k (CDN) luxury liner with meaty tires.

Trailer Swift

Reaction score
Took my 2021 Rebel with 4WD Auto out for some significant off roading. Mud, rocks, ruts, steep inclines. 4HIGH, TC OFF, Locker on. Performed flawlessly.

Attachments

• 20210502_144728.jpg
    20210502_144728.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 27

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Rebel without 4Auto.. is it limited slip 4x4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread