5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 rebel multi function tailgate issues?

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Looks like they updated the site recently. Both the Black appearance package and the trailer towing package were available. And both the trailer towing package and the MFT had limitations on how they could be ordered. When I put my order in the MFT was not available in the Hydro Blue, but available in every other color and the Night/Black appearance package would default you to the black paint on the Ram build page. If I were to guess, the packages were removed based on shortage issues. If you can wait, I'm sure they will update again around January-March.
More likely - available (or not) - due to how they run the production line/scheduling. They're not going to stop the line, change over the paint booth, to accommodate one Hydro Blue. These are typically done in "batches", with a "preferred configuration" - so "black appearance" is normally going to go with BLACK PAINT - because the trend of most folks is going to be "blacked out appearance on a black truck" - and not blacked out on a blue.

You could take another tack, if you want the Hydro - and do your own "black out" after you get it (wrap, paint, plasti-dip). Depends on how bad you want certain features.

So if Hydro Blue is a MUST HAVE - and MFT is a MUST HAVE - but you can't get them in Night/Black - then do the order WITHOUT THE NIGHT/BLACK, and get there on your own after you get the truck. There are plenty of folks on the forum that do it this way - with most doing it as a DIY. It's a little more "labor intensive", but it looks like it's going to be the only way to get YOUR TRUCK - YOUR WAY.

As I've said - the MFT was the main selling point for me (over other brands) - it was a MUST HAVE. Most of the limiteds on dealers lots down here (I bought off the lot) are already loaded down with every available option - so that was a no-brainer for me. I would have preferred chrome bumpers (and a couple of other things for example) but not enough of a deal-breaker for me, that I would have waited to special order. It was time to buy, so I bought. I would have liked 4X4 too - but again - none in my color with MFT, and that was the deal breaker.

So think about getting what you can get that ARE "deal breakers", and doing what YOU CAN DO after you take delivery.

Rick

jotruck

Reaction score
Looks like they updated the site recently. Both the Black appearance package and the trailer towing package were available. And both the trailer towing package and the MFT had limitations on how they could be ordered. When I put my order in the MFT was not available in the Hydro Blue, but available in every other color and the Night/Black appearance package would default you to the black paint on the Ram build page. If I were to guess, the packages were removed based on shortage issues. If you can wait, I'm sure they will update again around January-March.
those limitations show when I try to order a 2020, but when I order 2021 it lets me add the MFT on hydro blue. The black appearance is now called night Edition and while it can be found on dealerships and many here have bought it, it does not show on the build site for ANY color. It is just weird.

jotruck

Reaction score
More likely - available (or not) - due to how they run the production line/scheduling. They're not going to stop the line, change over the paint booth, to accommodate one Hydro Blue. These are typically done in "batches", with a "preferred configuration" - so "black appearance" is normally going to go with BLACK PAINT - because the trend of most folks is going to be "blacked out appearance on a black truck" - and not blacked out on a blue.

You could take another tack, if you want the Hydro - and do your own "black out" after you get it (wrap, paint, plasti-dip). Depends on how bad you want certain features.

So if Hydro Blue is a MUST HAVE - and MFT is a MUST HAVE - but you can't get them in Night/Black - then do the order WITHOUT THE NIGHT/BLACK, and get there on your own after you get the truck. There are plenty of folks on the forum that do it this way - with most doing it as a DIY. It's a little more "labor intensive", but it looks like it's going to be the only way to get YOUR TRUCK - YOUR WAY.

As I've said - the MFT was the main selling point for me (over other brands) - it was a MUST HAVE. Most of the limiteds on dealers lots down here (I bought off the lot) are already loaded down with every available option - so that was a no-brainer for me. I would have preferred chrome bumpers (and a couple of other things for example) but not enough of a deal-breaker for me, that I would have waited to special order. It was time to buy, so I bought. I would have liked 4X4 too - but again - none in my color with MFT, and that was the deal breaker.

So think about getting what you can get that ARE "deal breakers", and doing what YOU CAN DO after you take delivery.

Rick
Agree here. I think i am now just trying to make sure i get the hydro blue with all the options and MFT even if they don't have the Night Edition. What gives me pause is that since the build site may not be representing what can be ordered i am trying to make sure it isn't just a glitch with the ordering system and I am missing out on my desired configuration. thanks again!

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
For the 2021 Rebel's add the comfort and convenience as the base and then add trailer brake controller and the new power folding trailer tow mirrors and you'll have everything you need to tow on a rebel. When ordering a laramie you also have to add trailer wiring and ClassIV hitch

jotruck

Reaction score
For the 2021 Rebel's add the comfort and convenience as the base and then add trailer brake controller and the new power folding trailer tow mirrors and you'll have everything you need to tow on a rebel. When ordering a laramie you also have to add trailer wiring and ClassIV hitchthan
Thank you, yes that is what I did. Hopefully i can get everything else to fall in place.

Wsmith

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I was trying to custom order a 2021 Rebel hydro blue with everything on it including the multi function tailgate . Additionally i wanted to get the black appearance (night edition) since it was announced that it would be available in all configurations. The dealer is telling me that they cant order a rebel with the multi function tailgate because either there are issues with the tailgate or because of covid (they are not sure). Additionally they said that the system wouldn't allow them to do the black night edition package on hydro blue but it would in some other colors.

Thoughts?
It's a well known fact that black grills and emblems are impossible to attach to blue painted identical vehicles. Blue and some other colors have an opposite polarity to black and are therefore incompatible.

jotruck

Reaction score
It's a well known fact that black grills and emblems are impossible to attach to blue painted identical vehicles. Blue and some other colors have an opposite polarity to black and are therefore incompatible.
Thank you Wsmith. Obviously I am new to this so pardon my ignorance lol. One dealer said they could switch out the s plate and wheels for me if needed but not sure if that would work. i do wonder how they are able to make it work for the Powerwagon since it does come in hydro blue with the black bumper and badging.

Wsmith

Reaction score
Thank you Wsmith. Obviously I am new to this so pardon my ignorance lol. One dealer said they could switch out the s plate and wheels for me if needed but not sure if that would work. i do wonder how they are able to make it work for the Powerwagon since it does come in hydro blue with the black bumper and badging.
I wanted brown in night, couldn't get it so bought off the lot.

Total

Reaction score
yeah at this point it seems like night edition is not available with hydro blue, I do hope i can find a dealer that can order everything else. I pretty much maxed out the options for the 2021 hydro blue rebel. The towing package didn't show for me either, can anyone tell me what it has in it? I added the trailer brake system and the trail tow power folding mirrors separately.

Trailer tow group includes Trailer Light Check, Trailer Reverse Steering Control, Trailer Brake Control, and Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

jotruck

Reaction score
Trailer tow group includes Trailer Light Check, Trailer Reverse Steering Control, Trailer Brake Control, and Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring System.
thank you. It is weird that that group does not show as being offered on the build page

Total

Reaction score
It's weird that you can actually add it as an option on costco auto program website for the 2021 rebel. Too bad Costco pricing is not yet available for the 2021.

jotruck

Reaction score
update....it was confirmed by several dealerships that there were issues with being able to order the MFT with hydro blue and some dealers even said that it wasn't available with any color. However, one dealer found out that you could still order it with certain colors. We sat and did the order in his office and I ended up selecting the flame red with night edition , fully loaded, MFT. Rambox and all the packages , side steps etc. and even the graphics. Now the waiting starts i got the VON and all the details.

RebelDogAndTruck

Reaction score
I am having the same issue currently. The public facing builder used to not let you select the blue with the multifunction tailgate (MFT) but now it does as of a few months ago. I am trying to build a loaded Rebel from factory and seeing if my local dealers can escalate it to RAM. Why have a great feature that is unable to be configured with all the colors, especially in an iconic color for the Rebel. I am also trying to find execs from RAM on LinkedIn and let them know of the issue directly since dealers won't push hard to find out why. I believe if they allow you to do it on the public configurator and are building a new truck that it should work out.

heliinstructor

Reaction score
It is true that the ram build site can be confusing with ordering a 2021 rebel but I was able to and have ordered a fully loaded model all black and night edition. Changes on the 2021 allow the trailer equip group with folding mirrors, etc that you couldn’t get with 2020. You can also get the pop out tailgate step this year with the MFT. I have a 16 week delivery date. It’s tough waiting until May!!!

Last edited:

RebelDogAndTruck

Reaction score
I was FINALLY able to order my ideal spec'd 2021 Ram Rebel Crew Cab 4x4 in Hydro-blue with all my options including a multifunction tailgate (MFT)! Went through 5 dealers and many builds that failed. While at a local dealer for an oil change on my Jeep I checked in and they sat me down to show me how it errors out with all my options but to all of our surprises... it all went through. Put down a deposit and the dealership is very understanding after knowing what I have been through to get to this point. They took a $500 refundable deposit which isn't typical. I have had 1 dealer state they would take a $1,000 refundable and another that wanted a $2,000 NON-refundable.
Within 2 days went from B to D status and assigned a VIN. Dealer thinks the build could start within a week and delivered in about 8 weeks! May be one of the only Hydro-blue Rebels with a MFT after what I have seen to get to this point. Also optioned most packages except cold-weather and trailer-tow group, and didn't get air suspension

Attachments

• Blue-ram-rebel_build_hydro-blue_2-2-21.PNG
    Blue-ram-rebel_build_hydro-blue_2-2-21.PNG
    266.6 KB · Views: 18

Sterno90

Reaction score
I was FINALLY able to order my ideal spec'd 2021 Ram Rebel Crew Cab 4x4 in Hydro-blue with all my options including a multifunction tailgate (MFT)! Went through 5 dealers and many builds that failed. While at a local dealer for an oil change on my Jeep I checked in and they sat me down to show me how it errors out with all my options but to all of our surprises... it all went through. Put down a deposit and the dealership is very understanding after knowing what I have been through to get to this point. They took a $500 refundable deposit which isn't typical. I have had 1 dealer state they would take a $1,000 refundable and another that wanted a $2,000 NON-refundable.
Within 2 days went from B to D status and assigned a VIN. Dealer thinks the build could start within a week and delivered in about 8 weeks! May be one of the only Hydro-blue Rebels with a MFT after what I have seen to get to this point. Also optioned most packages except cold-weather and trailer-tow group, and didn't get air suspension
Looks amazing. does it have the night edition package?

RebelDogAndTruck

Reaction score
Looks amazing. does it have the night edition package?
It does not. Figured for all the options I added I'd save the $525. Though on the public configurator it forces you to add that package when you select the Technology Group but I didn't have to add while at the dealer when I picked the Tech Group. The public site also seems to have issues when adding that with the Hydro-blue. If I select the packages and then add the color it just spins for awhile. I need to then unselect both packages and then re-add just the Tech Group and then for some reason it doesn't re-add the Night Package.

Users who are viewing this thread