5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rebel 5.7 wouldn't shift out of first gear

sep1006

Reaction score
As the title states, happened to me about 2 months ago the first time. Took off from the red light and it just wouldn't get out of first gear. Had to pull over, put it in park and then shifted back to drive and took off with no issues.

Coming home yesterday and happened again, exact same scenario.

Anyone else and what did ( if ) you do to fix it.

Reaction score
Could you have accidentally hit the GEAR +/- button on the steering wheel? I have done that before and wound the truck out in first before I realized what I did. Once you move to N or P and back to drive, the truck goes back into normal transmission setting (non-MDS).

Just a thought.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As mentioned, normally this happens because you accidentally locked yourself in 1st gear. We have all done it. You may have pressed the (-) button on the gear limit selector on your steering wheel at a stop, which will lock you in 1st gear.

It will automatically come out of this mode if you press the (+) button beyond 8th gear or you change the gear selector from D to either Neutral, Reverse or Park. Also if you turn off/on your truck of course. Note - When in gear limit mode, you will see the gear limited to on your gauge, it will be to the right of your PDRL indicators on your instrument gauges, showing either 1 through 8 gear.

Another possibility is if you have an old battery or weak power, it could cause weird things to happen with the transmission and other systems in the truck. Though I suspect it's the gear limiter issue that was your problem.

sep1006

Reaction score
Could you have accidentally hit the GEAR +/- button on the steering wheel? I have done that before and wound the truck out in first before I realized what I did. Once you move to N or P and back to drive, the truck goes back into normal transmission setting (non-MDS).

Just a thought.

I guess that could definitely be a possibility. Didn't thinks about that, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/