5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Ram Rebel Air Suspension levels

Rebelgyrl

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram Rebel with air suspension. The air suspension indicator shows 5 levels. The owners manual indicates five settings- entry exit, aero,normal, off road 1 and off road 2. I have raised the air suspension to see what each level was like. I have had it raised so all five lights were lit. NOW- when I attempt to get to the highest level I get a message height selection not permitted- level ground- in park- . I took the truck to the shop. I am being told I only have four levels of suspension . I have seen rebels with four levels and they only have 4 lights for the height settings. I have watched you tube videos showing five lights indicate five settings. I’m wondering if an update somehow changed the suspension settings. Anyone else having this issue?

Attachments

• IMG_5802.png
    IMG_5802.png
    606.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5785.jpeg
    IMG_5785.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 10

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2021 Ram Rebel with air suspension. The air suspension indicator shows 5 levels. The owners manual indicates five settings- entry exit, aero,normal, off road 1 and off road 2. I have raised the air suspension to see what each level was like. I have had it raised so all five lights were lit. NOW- when I attempt to get to the highest level I get a message height selection not permitted- level ground- in park- . I took the truck to the shop. I am being told I only have four levels of suspension . I have seen rebels with four levels and they only have 4 lights for the height settings. I have watched you tube videos showing five lights indicate five settings. I’m wondering if an update somehow changed the suspension settings. Anyone else having this issue?
Rebels only have 4 levels.
Our normal is off-road 1, our off-road is off-road 2 in non rebel trims.

Rebelgyrl

Reaction score
That is what I am being told. I have 5 indicator lights and the owners manual shows five levels when equipped with air suspension and I have had it on the Fifth level where all FIVE lights were lit, several times. Now it says ride height selection not permitted. If it had four levels- why five indicator lights and why would it provide any message at all? The message alone indicates another setting. From what I understand those rebels built late in 2021 have four levels- four indicator lights- again- mine has five and looks like the set up on most Limiteds which have five levels. My guess is an update went through for all 2021 Rebels and l lost the fifth level( off road 2) because most rebels have four levels. I have attached images of my indicators and the indicators for a four level REBEL. I’ve been trying to contact the dealer I bought it from for additional assistance.

Attachments

• IMG_5802.png
    IMG_5802.png
    606.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5792.jpeg
    IMG_5792.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5785.jpeg
    IMG_5785.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 9

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That is what I am being told. I have 5 indicator lights and the owners manual shows five levels when equipped with air suspension and I have had it on the Fifth level where all FIVE lights were lit, several times. Now it says ride height selection not permitted. If it had four levels- why five indicator lights and why would it provide any message at all? The message alone indicates another setting. From what I understand those rebels built late in 2021 have four levels- four indicator lights- again- mine has five and looks like the set up on most Limiteds which have five levels. My guess is an update went through for all 2021 Rebels and l lost the fifth level( off road 2) because most rebels have four levels. I have attached images of my indicators and the indicators for a four level REBEL. I’ve been trying to contact the dealer I bought it from for additional assistance.
AFAIK Rebel has never had more than 4 ride heights.
I have the 5 LED`s and they illuminate briefly when I cycle the ignition.
I get the same "not permitted" when hitting the selector switch in the OR mode, truck has been like that from new.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You didn't lose anything if you have four different levels that work. Just enjoy driving your truck knowing it's working as designed.

ProKubinator

Reaction score
I have the ORP on my Laramie with air suspension. essentially a rebel wrapped in a Laramie skin. With the air suspension, the 1 inch "lift" is just programming of the air suspension to drive in what would be "off-road 1" on a "normal" ram. On a non rebel/non-ORP this would be setting 4/5. So on your rebel it ends up being setting 3/4. The air ride components are the same on both trucks. So now you get the option to go up to off-road 1, which is on a "normal" ram, off road 2. At which point the suspension is maxed out.

To put it simply, the truck is working as designed. There is nothing wrong with it. The 5 lights you see on startup is just the truck doing a function check of the actual lights because both the "normal" and ORP/Rebel have the same button/lights, just with different programming

E.Hands

Reaction score

I'm guessing that yours is the picture on the left? And not the center one with the trailer steering?
Did the dealership get to the bottom of your issue?

Users who are viewing this thread