5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 ram limited showing wrong temperature

Topsella40

Reaction score
hi,
My ram limited showing wrong temperature on the on the dash board and on the the screen as well....what can i do to fix this? Its always 10 degrees higher that what it really is outside.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can't. I should be dead of heat exposure if I believed my thermometer. Lol. I recall someone posting that it's in the driver side view mirror which is a bad location. Silly they messed that up.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
hi,
My ram limited showing wrong temperature on the on the dash board and on the the screen as well....what can i do to fix this? Its always 10 degrees higher that what it really is outside.
While sitting, or driving? It is stated in the manual, that you must be driving 35mph or above for the temperature sensor to read properly. Sitting in the sun will make it read high. If it is wrong while driving, the sensor is blocked from airflow, or the sensor would need replacing.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine always reads high after sitting for a bit and then once moving it comes down to within a few degrees of ambient temp.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, the sensor is in the driver's mirror, not in the grille area like on 4th gens (and almost every other vehicle). It is basically only accurate at night or in the winter when cloudy. It will read very high after sitting in the sun and will even be 3-5 degrees high after driving at hwy speed for a while if sunny.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, the sensor is in the driver's mirror, not in the grille area like on 4th gens (and almost every other vehicle). It is basically only accurate at night or in the winter when cloudy. It will read very high after sitting in the sun and will even be 3-5 degrees high after driving at hwy speed for a while if sunny.
That's exactly how mine behaves. I'm in Florida.

sportyroman

Reaction score
hi,
The same situation after sitting. But it goes down quite fast

MNMEAD

Reaction score
Mine has been 10 degrees high lately and does not come down even for extended periods of highway driving. I thought about taking it to the dealer but I just ran out of my warranty. It used to read accurately once I'd been driving for a bit but doesn't anymore. I took some pictures and screenshots of weather apps a few weeks back, it was 75 out but after 20 miles the truck still read 87.

6of36

Reaction score
It seems like some are under the hood, and some are in the left mirror. I found one video with trailer mirrors with it in the mirror base, but other listings said under the hood, or front bumper. Once you find it, the part is less than $15 on multiple sites.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What are you guys using to compare to for outside temp? Most weather stations are in shaded areas and can be effected by the structures around them as well. Weather aps, can be using weather stations 10-20 miles, or more, away from your current location

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And as far as being in the grill being "better". That's very subjective I guess. Get engine up to operating temp, park, and come back 30 munites later. Unless you have wind blowing into the front of grill, guaranteed the temp read high and takes several miles of driving to cool down. In my Dakota, I've had outside temp read as high as 120 degrees when getting in, even though it was only 80 degrees outside. And that's with sensor behind the grill.

6of36

Reaction score
And as far as being in the grill being "better". That's very subjective I guess. Get engine up to operating temp, park, and come back 30 munites later. Unless you have wind blowing into the front of grill, guaranteed the temp read high and takes several miles of driving to cool down. In my Dakota, I've had outside temp read as high as 120 degrees when getting in, even though it was only 80 degrees outside. And that's with sensor behind the grill.
Doesn't matter where it is located, it is going to pick up the heat radiated off of the body parts, and the surface it's parked on. Parking on asphalt will make it read 20 degrees warmer than parking on grass. That's why it says in the manual you must drive at least 35 mph to be accurate. Mine always reads correct in less than a mile. I am probably in a cooler climate, where it takes less to adjust, it's usually only about 10 high when parked except on extremely hot days.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I
Doesn't matter where it is located, it is going to pick up the heat radiated off of the body parts, and the surface it's parked on. Parking on asphalt will make it read 20 degrees warmer than parking on grass. That's why it says in the manual you must drive at least 35 mph to be accurate. Mine always reads correct in less than a mile. I am probably in a cooler climate, where it takes less to adjust, it's usually only about 10 high when parked except on extremely hot days.
Totally agree. I was commenting about others who said moving it to mirror was stupid because it's better in the grill

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sitting in the sun all day.
2023-05-25-17-23-57-140.jpg

16 minutes later.
2023-05-25-17-39-43-306.jpg

66Fuelie

Reaction score
^^ ^ That is hot! What state you located in??
Tom

Topsella40

Reaction score
While sitting, or driving? It is stated in the manual, that you must be driving 35mph or above for the temperature sensor to read properly. Sitting in the sun will make it read high. If it is wrong while driving, the sensor is blocked from airflow, or the sensor would need replacing.
Both while sitting and driving I noticed it was off..10 degrees off!

6of36

Reaction score
I've had many vehicles in my life an they all read accurately, Now 80 K truck is never accurate! wtf
It's the same sensor as a $40,000 truck. Just take it in and get it replaced.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's the same sensor as a $40,000 truck. Just take it in and get it replaced.
I always find it funny when people quote what they paid for their trucks, as if it somehow makes a difference. It's made on same assembly line as much cheaper trucks, utilizing 90% the same parts. Just like you said

Users who are viewing this thread