5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Ram Incentives - Or dealer playing games?

CPenn1086

Reaction score
Good Morning All -

New member currently shopping a Ram lease.

Found a 2020 Ram Laramie 1500 Sport package (MSRP 62k) at a dealer local to me. I have been going back and forth with the dealer and we came to a sale price and monthly payment number that is just a tad higher then what I am comfortable with. The truck does have the 22" wheel package and the HK sound which are two options that I don't feel that I need. (especially the 22" wheels).

The dealer just received a 2021 Laramie Sport Package (MSRP 58K) and this particular truck has the 20" painted wheels (not polished with inserts) and the Alpine stereo. Those are literally the only differences with the truck, and after comparing window stickers, the numbers make sense.

Long story short, both the salesmen (who has been great) and myself thought this would be a homerun in regards to coming up with a sale price and monthly payment I would be happy with. Low and behold, the sales manager said he cannot apply any incentives to the 2021 and the numbers ended up being significantly HIGHER. (even with my FCA affiliates control number)

Now - I have never bought a car this time of the year before. Could this manager just be BS'ing me because he wants to clear 2020 stock and hold on to his only 2021 on the lot? Or could incentives really be that much better on a higher MSRP 20?

Just looking for opinions. It sucks, because I would rather have the 2021. Maybe I just have to wait...

Rexx

Reaction score
The incentives are usually better on previous year models that the manufacturer wants to clear out versus the new ones - especially as the new ones are just coming onto the lots. That’s not to say there won’t be incentives on the 2021s but it’s not a surprise if they’re not as good as the 2020s.

CPenn1086

Reaction score
I believe that.

I do find it odd however, that the sales manager is making it very difficult for my salesman to even quote a cost breakdown on the 2021. Just seems a little fishy to me.

Residual is higher, MF is the same (0.0001). That with my control number alone the price should be better.

Rexx

Reaction score
I agree it’s very odd the sales manager won’t give you a break down on the pricing of the new 21 - that alone would probably be enough to have me go to another dealership.

CPenn1086

Reaction score
I am going to keep playing hard ball, I am in no rush and I like the sales guy. Hoping he can make some magic happen.

Meanwhile, they keep offering me a better deal on 2020. Could be hard to say no if they keep going lower. The HK system is nice... :unsure:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Dealers in my area are advertising a $1500 cash back offer for basically everyone on 2021 models, and an up to an additional $4250 for people who qualify for those. But often the dealerships offer their own incentives. And it's likely that those will be better for the 2020 because it's sitting on the lot, costing them money. You'll definitely get a better deal on a model year-end vehicle than on a new model year vehicle. I bought my 2020 Laramie at the end of October last year, and didn't get nearly as good of a deal as I could have on a 2019. But I was fine with that because the 2020 had everything I thought I wanted at the time.

BNeal

Reaction score
I was told when I ordered my '21 that any incentives available when the truck came in would be applied to the already negotiated price. Mine came in on 9/14. There was a $500 rebate, plus 0% interest for 60 months. I really didn't expect any rebates given that it was a new model year release. But with the $500, 0%, and purchased at dealer invoice, I was okay with the deal. My guess is, you'll start seeing more incentives on '21's toward the end of this year.

As for the line-item breakdown of costs, my dealer pushed back too. I told him I wanted a line-item out the door price, or no deal. He even told me that the SM was not in favor, but he relented and gave it to me. I found they tried to stick window etching in for a whopping $400. I said no, and he removed it.

U

User_3336

I sort of got lost reading. If this WAS a lease, note that all incentives that might be available on a regular retail sale are often NOT offered on a lease.

LEASE Incentives are different than retail incentives. and most of the times you have to check directly with the dealer to see what lease cash is available.

FOR EXAMPLE ONLY.
2020 Big Horn Crew 4x4 $4500 in rebates. Cash/Finance deal.
2020 Big Horn Crew 4x4 $1500 in LEASE Rebates.

Lease cash/rebates are never going to be as much because you are only paying for the portion of the vehicle you are leasing.

Another note. Sometimes a dealer discount can be greater than a FCA Control Number. which is invoice + 1% + $75 program fee.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread