5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RAM Front Tow Hooks

Kicker0927

Reaction score
Hello, I have a few questions regarding MOPAR front tow hooks. I am looking at installing chrome tow hooks with the bezel kit.
1. I noticed the 'chrome' tow hooks are no longer offered in a kit which included both L and R chrome tow hook and necessary bolt. However, the black tow hooks still come in a kit which includes everything. If you want the chrome tow hooks you have to purchase all pieces separate. Is there a reason for this? Are the chrome tow hooks being discontinued or phased out? I just wanted to make sure there aren't issues with the chrome hooks that anyone is aware of?
2. There are 2 different part numbers for chrome tow hooks that fit my truck...one cost $81 per hook and the other cost around $110 per hook. I can't see any differences other then the part numbers. (part# 68272944AB vs. 68288776AA) I also noticed a couple different part numbers for the bezel kit. Am I missing something?
3. I think the chrome tow hooks look sharp with the chrome front bumper. What do you all think?

Thanks!

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a thought but lots of members prefer black, may want to see if someone is up for a trade.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Kicker0927

Reaction score
I think chrome doesn't look good on modern vehicles. Which is why my Limited has the Night Edition. Hey, you asked what we all think. :p
I totally understand. I have had blacked out vehicles. Always blacked out my Harley's. I like both blacked out and a well-balanced chrome look. The blacked out trend has been going on for awhile. Chrome will make it's comeback. But I was more asking regarding putting black tow hooks on a chrome bumper vs. chrome toe hooks. Putting black tow hooks on there seems like it wouldn't change the look since it's already black in the tow hook bezels. The chrome toe hooks at least look change the look a bit, I think. (y)

BNeal

Reaction score
Damn - I can't believe those recovery hooks are $100 ea.! Are there no aftermarket hooks out there that are more reasonably priced?

Kicker0927

Reaction score
Damn - I can't believe those recovery hooks are $100 ea.! Are there no aftermarket hooks out there that are more reasonably priced?
I know! My only thought is, I'm willing to spend the money on the MOPAR ones if it means they are made or coated in a better finish ensuring a longer-lasting product. Considering the location of the hooks and all, I don't want to get stuck with something that looks like crap after a year...chipping finish, rust, etc.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I totally understand. I have had blacked out vehicles. Always blacked out my Harley's. I like both blacked out and a well-balanced chrome look. The blacked out trend has been going on for awhile. Chrome will make it's comeback. But I was more asking regarding putting black tow hooks on a chrome bumper vs. chrome toe hooks. Putting black tow hooks on there seems like it wouldn't change the look since it's already black in the tow hook bezels. The chrome toe hooks at least look change the look a bit, I think. (y)
Your question wasn't that specific. You asked if we agreed that chrome tow hooks look sharp with a chrome bumper. So I guess I didn't answer that question either LOL. I think black tow hooks would look fine on a chrome bumper. I doubt anyone but you will notice it. So if you can live with it that's all that matters.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Personally for me, when I had my 2020 Laramie that has chrome bumpers. It didn’t come with tow hooks, So I
ordered the black factory tow hooks.

Then once I got them, I repainted it with some rhino bed liner, and try to closely match the body color of my Laramie (it was hydro blue)

I liked it so much that when I traded in my 2020 Laramie ( placed an order for a 2022) I’m going to replace the factory black one with the ones I painted over.

Here is the black ones I painted over. Let me know if you want a close up.

bce924e0470f31bd8ca5570321013163.jpg

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Kicker0927

Reaction score
Personally for me, when I had my 2020 Laramie that has chrome bumpers. It didn’t come with tow hooks, So I
ordered the black factory tow hooks.

Then once I got them, I repainted it with some rhino bed liner, and try to closely match the body color of my Laramie (it was hydro blue)

I liked it so much that when I traded in my 2020 Laramie ( placed an order for a 2022) I’m going to replace the factory black one with the ones I painted over.

Here is the black ones I painted over. Let me know if you want a close up.

bce924e0470f31bd8ca5570321013163.jpg

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Looks good!

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the chrome ones with my package, but I'm going to remove and get them powder coated red or color matched if I can.

TVANVA

Reaction score
A while back, RAM introduced the Southwest version, which was a sport (painted) front end, with chrome tow hooks and some chrome grill slat highlights.

That version seems to have dropped out of sight and I never saw one in person, but I liked the look in the photos.

I got a good deal on eBay on some chrome tow hooks (probably someone blacking out their RAM) and mounted them.

I like the look, just a little chrome highlight, not massive chrome front end. I get a lot of complements on my truck.

I initially bought some flex coating to match my Blue Pearl paint, thinking I would cover up the chrome once I saw how gaudy it looked, but I'm keeping it the way it is.

Pretty sure I would have done what ARod412 did if I had a chrome front end, just to add contrast.

IMG_2166.JPG

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got a set of chrome tow hooks and the black bevels I’ve been meaning to list for sale. I got these for my 2019 Laramie, but never installed them. My Longhorn came with them.

I’m in the Atlanta area if anyone is interested in them. I’ll get around to posting them one day.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A while back, RAM introduced the Southwest version, which was a sport (painted) front end, with chrome tow hooks and some chrome grill slat highlights.

That version seems to have dropped out of sight and I never saw one in person, but I liked the look in the photos.

I got a good deal on eBay on some chrome tow hooks (probably someone blacking out their RAM) and mounted them.

I like the look, just a little chrome highlight, not massive chrome front end. I get a lot of complements on my truck.

I initially bought some flex coating to match my Blue Pearl paint, thinking I would cover up the chrome once I saw how gaudy it looked, but I'm keeping it the way it is.

Pretty sure I would have done what ARod412 did if I had a chrome front end, just to add contrast.

View attachment 99917
Love that blue, and I agree that in your situation, black works better.

I just wanted to break up the chrome.

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)

Kicker0927

Reaction score
Love that blue, and I agree that in your situation, black works better.

I just wanted to break up the chrome.

2016 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (2.5" rc lift with 35" duratracs)
Yea, I think I agree...black will look better on mine. Thanks!

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the black tow hooks in a chrome bumper and like the look - pic here for reference. I noticed an earlier poster suggesting someone might want to trade and think perhaps they were suggesting you could save some $$ if you order the black kit with all the needed parts and then trade the black hooks to someone who has chrome hooks! 20200830_100035.jpg

LouNY

Reaction score
I have the black tow eyelets in my chrome bumper in my Laramie,
I wish they would go back to hooks instead of these eyelets,
can't get my chains on them or my hard shackles if you use a strap it has to be threaded through and looped.
Not very practical anymore.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
can't get my chains on them or my hard shackles if you use a strap it has to be threaded through and looped.
Absolutely right. Pain in the butt, until someone here told me about getting soft synthetic shackles. It make things alot better to strap on.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I go back and forth on this - at first I was upset about it coming g from a 4th gen with the hooks, then like ARod412 I got a set of soft shackles and now I like the loops because there is no change of the strap slipping off.

Users who are viewing this thread