5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 ram burning coolant smell

BIGANT321

Reaction score
I have 2021 ram night edition I started smelling a burning coolant smell from under my hood so I took it to the dealership they replaced a couple lines they claimed had small leak I never saw no drips in my driveway so I got my truck back and still have the smell so I takes it back again then they say it's heater core they replace that get my truck back an still have the smell. I don't no what else to do because the dealership seems to want to keep playing a guessing game with my truck so I don't no what else to do if the manufacturer can't fix the problem.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the dealership isn't the manufacturer, instead you are relying on that specific dealerships technician's capabilities and limitations to solve your problem.

I would give them one more chance to figure it out, since they have had the most experience trouble shooting it so far, and more likely getting close to narrowing down the issue.

If still they can't fix it, I would then take it to another dealership and get their opinion on what is the problem. Bring your service receipts so they see what has been done, hopefully they will have a better tech who can figure it out.

However, you may want to give it a little more time, maybe some residual coolant still in the system that wasn't cleaned out, especially with a leaking heater core, it may need time to air out after the repair.

CMil527

Reaction score
welcome... hopefully they get it taken care of, maybe ramcares will chime in!

Scram1500

Reaction score
Mine has smelled of coolant from day one, going on 3 years 30K. The smell comes from the overflow tank as near I can tell, the cap has a very loose fit and does not have any seal/gasket to prevent vapors escaping.

gofishn

Reaction score
My heater core wasn't leaking they just playing a guessing game. And it's been over a month since replacing

1st off, the guy was trying to help.
2nd, quite frankly, you obviously do not know enough to make that assertion.

Coolant systems are pretty basic. Not a lot of parts or connections.
Keep taking it back and it will get into the hands of more experienced technician who will figure it out.

Dealerships are not different than your work place.
Got those who are darn good and those who should be thankful Breathing is an Unconscious Act.
All repairs are a guessing game.

The Tech guesses what is actually wrong , based upon his Experience and skill Level.
Not like the trucks Cylinder # 6 piston jumps out and says, "It;s Me! I'm the Problem!"

One more Thing.
As Woes go, yours is mighty damn Small.

Like an annoying Pin Prick, it's a still a Pain but a pin prick is a far cry from the "Lost Limb" types of issues that some here experience.

We have this Thing called an Ignore Button. Click on the Picture or Avatar above a posters Name.
On the menu that pops up, along the bottom line will be an Ignore Button.
Click that and you will never see that persons drivel, whine or petulant posts, ever again.

Key is to not to have too many put one on their ignore List.
Those are the folks that tend to post actual helpful replies, most often.

BTW, Welcome to the Forum.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
This is a known, quirk, on these trucks. Mine did it from basically brand new (it was a demo with 3500mi). I still smell it from time to time when I park the truck and for whatever reason walk around the passenger side. If you aren't seeing coolant leaking, the engine oil is dark and not milky, and are not seeing any visible steam coming from the truck, and the coolant level is fine, it's probably OK. If it's a bad heater core, you would get a very, very heavy coolant smell in the cab. You would likely know this pretty quick.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Mine has smelled of coolant from day one, going on 3 years 30K. The smell comes from the overflow tank as near I can tell, the cap has a very loose fit and does not have any seal/gasket to prevent vapors escaping.

This is likely the culprit. Maybe by design? Who knows. These systems do expand and contract. More than likely what we are smelling, especially when shutting down and getting out, is just air venting with a coolant smell. Motors tend to heat up and expand for the couple moments when the truck is first shut off. This is due to the coolant pump not spinning/circulating. Everything sits, heats up a bit more, expanding, and venting the smell. That's my guess, at least.

BIGANT321

Reaction score
1st off, the guy was trying to help.
2nd, quite frankly, you obviously do not know enough to make that assertion.

Coolant systems are pretty basic. Not a lot of parts or connections.
Keep taking it back and it will get into the hands of more experienced technician who will figure it out.

Dealerships are not different than your work place.
Got those who are darn good and those who should be thankful Breathing is an Unconscious Act.
All repairs are a guessing game.

The Tech guesses what is actually wrong , based upon his Experience and skill Level.
Not like the trucks Cylinder # 6 piston jumps out and says, "It;s Me! I'm the Problem!"

One more Thing.
As Woes go, yours is mighty damn Small.

Like an annoying Pin Prick, it's a still a Pain but a pin prick is a far cry from the "Lost Limb" types of issues that some here experience.

We have this Thing called an Ignore Button. Click on the Picture or Avatar above a posters Name.
On the menu that pops up, along the bottom line will be an Ignore Button.
Click that and you will never see that persons drivel, whine or petulant posts, ever again.

Key is to not to have too many put one on their ignore List.
Those are the folks that tend to post actual helpful replies, most often.

BTW, Welcome to the Forum.

Nibis

Reaction score
I been getting this smell for a while, I check and never find and evidence of a leak. Well, the other day, I noticed some fluid in my garage, after I used my truck, I had moved my car in it's spot, so I thought it might be my car. My car doesn't have red coolant, it's not a lot, maybe 1/4 a cup or less. I checked the truck, and only found one drop on the cross member, IDK maybe the weep hole on the water pump. It's got under 36K and the 3 Year/36K warranty is up in April 23, so I need to get it into the dealer.

Arrowv

Reaction score
I just replaced my radiator cap and the smell is gone. I let it run while parked and no more smell and I just drove around for 20 minutes and again, no smell. I am hopefully this fixed my coolant smell in the cabin with the heat on.

Ratfink

Reaction score
I have 2021 ram night edition I started smelling a burning coolant smell from under my hood so I took it to the dealership they replaced a couple lines they claimed had small leak I never saw no drips in my driveway so I got my truck back and still have the smell so I takes it back again then they say it's heater core they replace that get my truck back an still have the smell. I don't no what else to do because the dealership seems to want to keep playing a guessing game with my truck so I don't no what else to do if the manufacturer can't fix the problem.
My, RAM 2021, Eco diesel low on coolant. Smells like burt coolant. When the tank dropped 1 inch, I took it to RAM Monrovia. Dealer had it the whole day and did not look at it. They do not provide loaner car. So I was stuck and the second day they got to truck. Mechanic reported he could not find any leaks. Truck has 48,500, miles. Dealer said, can find any thing, if it's buring it run it untill something shows up! 2nd. RAM, last one was a 2016. Had a lot of issues. Well I was not happy. No more RAM, or their products, truck depreciated badly. Sold it, still had the 100K warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/