5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Ram 1500 Start/Stop Feature

Gatorsfan

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 2021 Ram 1500 that the start/stop feature will not work with the AC on. I turn the ac off and the feature works. I had a 2019 Ram and the feature worked with the ac running. I know it will not work with max ac on but I am not running it on max. I keep getting message auto start/stop not ready cabin cooling/heating. Any one else with this issue. My dealership had my truck for two weeks and said no issue found.
Thanks

Tidewater Ram

Reaction score
Not just the ac either - the Owner’s Manual says auto Stop-start won’t with heating or cooling in progress and an “acceptable” cabin temp hasn’t been achieved. There doesn’t appear to be a magic # and I’ve noticed the system doesn’t work every time in my truck.

U

User_3336

People actually LIKE auto stop/start???? Sorta like people like MDS?

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Auto Start/Stop is only installed in any brand/trim/make/etc. for ONE reason and ONE reason only. It helps the fleet average percentage just a little to hit a higher MPG number to meet EPA requirements. There is a very negligible actual increase to the fuel economy per vehicle but it adds up over thousands or hundreds of thousands of vehicles. Hybrid vehicles with big batteries and motor/generators to restart it's no big deal necessarily wear/tear wise but vehicles with conventional starters it DOES wear them out faster-period. The majority of vehicles with these start/stop systems have no way of running the A/C compressor and/or creating heat when the engine isn't running so that's why the climate control has SOME bearing on whether or not the requirements are met for it to do so. Thank God the EcoDiesel hasn't been added to this yet but I'm afraid it's coming.....(IF they're able to keep it "alive" once the full-electric RAM comes in 2024)

Kaderast

Reaction score
I definitely notice on a hot day if my AC is set at 67 for example, start/stop almost never works. However, if I bump my cabin temp up to 70-72 it works frequently. Think the truck has to think it can keep the cabin close to the set temp during its time with the engine off while the compressor obviously isn't running.

Users who are viewing this thread