5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Ram 1500 big Horn infotainment 8.4 with nav to 12.1 upgrade

Ravens2013!

Reaction score
I purchased the 12.1 infotainment system for my 2021 Ram 1500 from the infotainment.com website back in June and have been battling issues with the install up until now. Everything worked after the install except the backup camera would only show up as a blue screen with (check engine surroundings) displayed at the top. I sent the module back to the company only to continue to have the same problem happen again twice. After the third time they sent me a new module to fix the backup camera not working only to now have the screen on the 12.1 inch turn black and not work at all. Anyone else having issue with the system purchased from infotainment.com?

Nozzleman

Reaction score
Wow. We're having the same issue. I have a 2021 big Horn and bought mine from MVI which is like infotainment.
I've been working with their techs, but so far nothing. I've only tried one module, but their going to send me another one this week.

This sucks....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ravens2013!

Reaction score
Good luck, hopefully they get your issue resolved. I’m on my fourth module with infotainment. I’m contacting them Monday for a possible fix or refund. I’ll post what the tell me on how to fix it if that’s possible.

Nozzleman

Reaction score
Awesome. Please do.

Nozzleman

Reaction score
Do your backup sensors, front and back not beep?
They work and show on my dash, they just don't beep.

Ravens2013!

Reaction score
My big Horn doesn’t have the beeping sensor and I don’t have front sensor either. I have the back up camera which after installing the infotainment system just shows a blue screen and does nothing when I put the truck into reverse.

Nozzleman

Reaction score
Oh, okay. Well let me know what you find out if you can. I'll chat with MVI today also and see if they have any thoughts.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased the 12.1 infotainment system for my 2021 Ram 1500 from the infotainment.com website back in June and have been battling issues with the install up until now. Everything worked after the install except the backup camera would only show up as a blue screen with (check engine surroundings) displayed at the top. I sent the module back to the company only to continue to have the same problem happen again twice. After the third time they sent me a new module to fix the backup camera not working only to now have the screen on the 12.1 inch turn black and not work at all. Anyone else having issue with the system purchased from infotainment.com?
Looks like the system is doing what it supposed to do. When you shift in reverse, The screen comes up with "Check entire surroundings". That means the module tells the screen what to show. The blue screen will show if there is no signal from the camera to the radio module. Is the coax cable in the right spot? Is the plug seated properly? Check the coax from the camera to the radio.

Ravens2013!

Reaction score
Negative, when I shift into reverse the screen does nothing. The only way I can view the backup camera and get that screen is by going through the settings and selecting the backup camera manually. I was thinking the same thing but when I put the original 8.4 Uconnect back in everything functions as normal.

Nozzleman

Reaction score
Looks like the system is doing what it supposed to do. When you shift in reverse, The screen comes up with "Check entire surroundings". That means the module tells the screen what to show. The blue screen will show if there is no signal from the camera to the radio module. Is the coax cable in the right spot? Is the plug seated properly? Check the coax from the camera to the radio.

My screen does nothing when I put the car in reverse.

Ravens2013!

Reaction score
Yeah, I’m pretty sure if these system were compatible with our trucks then the plug and play would be pretty simple. Being that these system are this difficult to get working let’s me know that they aren’t compatible with our trucks and these companies are selling them to us knowing that they aren’t fully compatible. Every Mopar/OEM part I have install on my truck works ASAP. I believe these companies are fully aware these systems won’t work across all vehicles and yet they keep selling them. I returned mine for a full refund yesterday because I’ve been trying to get this system to work for over a month.

Nozzleman

Reaction score
Wow. Sorry to hear that. Their Shipping me another module to see if that will work. I'm really really hoping it works.

Ravens2013!

Reaction score
Good luck hopefully yours work. If it does please post I might consider using MVI as well.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Negative, when I shift into reverse the screen does nothing. The only way I can view the backup camera and get that screen is by going through the settings and selecting the backup camera manually. I was thinking the same thing but when I put the original 8.4 Uconnect back in everything functions as normal.

Did you guys re pin the connector correctly for the 12" screen? You can not just plug one or the other without re pinning, unless you use a jumper cable.

Nozzleman

Reaction score
Did you guys re pin the connector correctly for the 12" screen? You can not just plug one or the other without re pinning, unless you use a jumper cable.
What do you mean re-pin?
The company just sends us a white connector that looks like the Sirius antenna plug and a small harness that extends one of the cables.

Nozzleman

Reaction score
Gotcha. Thanks. Well if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd be interested. And thanks.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I did my swap from the 8.4" to the 12", I re pined the connector, plucked everything back together and modified the BCM. I bought the new radio module from Mopar directly. Everything works just as intended.

Nozzleman

Reaction score
Your going to have to educate me a bit on that. Is there a chat that has step by step?

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a long thread about it.

Users who are viewing this thread