5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Owners - How is your A/C?

mbridge1

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. It doesn't sound like spec to me.
I have a Monday appointment to get my 2021 looked at.
What was the diagnosis from your dealer? We just had our first HOT day here in piedmont NC. It took my 2021 Laramie nearly 15 minutes to feel cool driving home from work. The next 10 minutes it was comfortable, but not as cold as my 11 year old car with 200K on it gets.

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
I'm not sure on my build date, but my 2021 is kind of 'Meh.' My 2012 Lonestar blew ice cubes, on 100+ degree days with the fan on '3' (75%)... even after the evaporator developed a leak, eventually failed, and was repaired/replaced by a local mechanic.

The 2021 I give about a 'B+,' because while it still blows very cool, it's not 'cold.' I haven't checked temps with a thermometer yet, but I'd wager they're a bit above spec. I'm going to check the cabin filter (since it IS used with just over 5K miles), observe, then measure. Living in West Texas definitely means we won't be short on hot days while I track this down.

Gipraw

Reaction score
Mine seems to work fine. Cools the truck quickly. Just got back from a week long trip and it had no issues with the high 90’s temps. I haven’t check the temp yet though, will do that next time I am up at the shop.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The fan speed will turn itself down if your phone gets a text message or the truck alerts you to something as well. I noticed that right away. I think they do that so you can hear the alerts.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Mine does NOT do this...I found it strange since my Silverado did as well as a Chevy Equinox I had. I have to keep the fam on full since the truck never cools down...and the fan does not adjust on it's own for any reason.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I've only had the truck for two and a half weeks but I have no complaints so far and the A/C has been used most of those days

U

User_3336

Which vent did you use in this photo? It looks like one of the passenger vents. To see if you have a cooling issue, has to be taken from either of the driver vents, more so the far left drivers vent by window.
Well, it appears i do not have a cooling issue @ 40. the temps vary from 40 to about 43 on different vents.
the center stack left vent gets the coldest.

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
Well, it appears i do not have a cooling issue @ 40. the temps vary from 40 to about 43 on different vents.
Your is working good. Thanks for confirming 👍👍

2019_Ram

Reaction score

I would be very happy if mine would deliver those vent temps. Would you check your truck after a short drive and see if the compressor cycles under a high cooling request? Turn MAX AC on and listen to see if you hear the distinctive click of the AC compressor turn on. Easy to hear by the passenger side headlight. Mine constantly cycles every 10-15 seconds (ON to ON). I think this excessive cycling is contributing to my poor cooling.

thedream829

Reaction score
Late 2020 build. My AC is ice cold. I also tinted my windows all around including the sunroof and windshield so it's a bit of a cheat code.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would be very happy if mine would deliver those vent temps. Would you check your truck after a short drive and see if the compressor cycles under a high cooling request? Turn MAX AC on and listen to see if you hear the distinctive click of the AC compressor turn on. Easy to hear by the passenger side headlight. Mine constantly cycles every 10-15 seconds (ON to ON). I think this excessive cycling is contributing to my poor cooling.

What you're looking for is not a good test. The Air Conditioning compressor clutch will not always be steadily engaged when in A/C Max. It is dependent on system pressures. From the service manual:

1. With the A/C clutch engaged, compare the air temperature at the center panel outlet and the A/C compressor discharge pressure (high side) to the A/C Performance Temperature and Pressure chart. The A/C clutch may cycle, depending upon the ambient temperature and humidity. If the A/C clutch cycles, use the readings obtained before the clutch disengaged (coldest temperature).
Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 053971 miles.

U

User_3336

What you're looking for is not a good test. The Air Conditioning compressor clutch will not always be steadily engaged when in A/C Max. It is dependent on system pressures. From the service manual:

1. With the A/C clutch engaged, compare the air temperature at the center panel outlet and the A/C compressor discharge pressure (high side) to the A/C Performance Temperature and Pressure chart. The A/C clutch may cycle, depending upon the ambient temperature and humidity. If the A/C clutch cycles, use the readings obtained before the clutch disengaged (coldest temperature).
Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 053971 miles.

And how many of us have the tools readily available to get that reading????

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And how many of us have the tools readily available to get that reading????
I don't know. That wasn't posed as a question. I was just advising that the AC clutch may not always be engaged all of the time just because it's in AC Max.

The servicing dealer...or a independent repair shop...should have the necessary gauges to make the measurement.

Regards,
Dusty

70runner

Reaction score
Fresh off 1200mi I5 freeway trip from dealer in Auburn WA to home in SOCAL, including 100deg heat when I diverted to 395: A/C was excellent.

2019_Ram

Reaction score

Best regards,
Dusty

Yes, you are correct, it should cycle based on pressures, and I would expect that. What I'm seeing on mine is that even with MAX AC on, the compressor cycles based on the EVAP Temp Sensor hitting 38*, not pressure. So it will cycle off at 38* and back on at 44* over about a 10 second window. No codes and everything passes the dealer tests, except it fails to hit the 45* spec at 70-80* but does hit the 55* one above 90*. It will settle at a 50* vent temp under nearly all outside temps.

I'm interested to see if someone with 40* vent temps is seeing the same kind of compressor cycling that I am. If their compressor is staying engaged for much longer under similar scenarios, I would strongly lean toward the h-block/txv being manufactured out of tolerance on mine but still working and not showing traditional symptoms of failure. So it fails to sufficiently meter refrigerant before the EVAP gets too cold...

I've talked with several people in passing who have mediocre ac like mine and both have had their compressor cycling like mine. My 2016 would keep the compressor engaged for minutes or longer when MAX AC was on, and had good cold 40* vent temps.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct, it should cycle based on pressures, and I would expect that. What I'm seeing on mine is that even with MAX AC on, the compressor cycles based on the EVAP Temp Sensor hitting 38*, not pressure. So it will cycle off at 38* and back on at 44* over about a 10 second window. No codes and everything passes the dealer tests, except it fails to hit the 45* spec at 70-80* but does hit the 55* one above 90*. It will settle at a 50* vent temp under nearly all outside temps.

I'm interested to see if someone with 40* vent temps is seeing the same kind of compressor cycling that I am. If their compressor is staying engaged for much longer under similar scenarios, I would strongly lean toward the h-block/txv being manufactured out of tolerance on mine but still working and not showing traditional symptoms of failure. So it fails to sufficiently meter refrigerant before the EVAP gets too cold...

I've talked with several people in passing who have mediocre ac like mine and both have had their compressor cycling like mine. My 2016 would keep the compressor engaged for minutes or longer when MAX AC was on, and had good cold 40* vent temps.
To support your suspicion, I believe there was at least one report here, very early on of a tech. that replaced the H-block to resolve this issue.

Best regards,
Dusty

Users who are viewing this thread