5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Owners - How is your A/C?

FN-2187

Reaction score
All of the 2021 1500's should have the updated HVAC Distribution Housing, harness and evaporator core. Poor A/C is somewhat common complaint on the 19-20 1500's.

Can any of the 2021 owners provide some feedback on their truck's A/C performance? Vent temperature readings would be appreciated as well.
I live in Arizona and it feels perfect in our already hot weather. I have a 2021 1500 limited with the ecodesiel.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Lighthawk

Reaction score
....temps in the 90s and mostly highway, I had to use max cool for most of the trip which struggled to keep the cab cool. I would have to say overall I'm really disappointed in the HVAC system in this truck. ...

We've just hit the 90's and on our first trip out the new 2021 Tradesman with level 2 seemed to struggle as well to cool things off. I don't think this would cut it in Arizona or somewhere really hot. I'm still learning the truck, so maybe I'm missing something. The Tradesman is pretty basic with three knobs. I don't think uConnect 4 with 8" screen does any climate control. The manual is confusing, since it lists every possible combination.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
If I pull mine out of the garage on a 90+ degree day, the air is ICE cold. After letting sit in the hot sun with interior temps in the 120+ range it takes a little longer to cool down, but considering the FL heat, it does the job. I have never been uncomfortably warm in my nearly 2 years of ownership. After about 5-10 minutes it is sufficiently cold. My engine fan sounds like a jet engine when I shut it off and open the door and it is still winding down. I'm not sure if that's always. Is it? Maybe I am one of the lucky ones to have a decent system without this "parts upgrade". Knock knock knock on wood BUM BUM BUM.

Dr. Cheeseburger

Reaction score
I have a Limited built in March 2021 and A/C works perfect. Also I'm here in Texas so I will definitely know if something is off. So far no issues cooling down the cab or keeping it cool. I set it to 69º and I'm always comfortable. My first Ram but I have no complaints!

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try a different dealer. 49 deg is not in spec, 45 is spec. And how the TSB reads, they are supposed to do it just by the customer stating the problem.

Where can I find that says 45 is the spec?

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wish I could be more help, I saw it several months ago on here. I think it was in the very long "AC issues" thread. May have been in the AC TSB thread. Someone posted the spec sheet.

SpookyWatcher

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Rebel w/ level package 1 and w/ a build date of Sept 2020. I noticed with only fresh air on cool day here in SoCal the temp coming out of the vent was fairly warm compared to what outside temp was 55 F. It was so warm compared to outside air temp that I had to turn it off and open a window. So I'm a little worried the blend door is letting too much heat for my liking to get through.

Today will probably be first real warm day for me (84 F) I'll be doing some running around at the heat of the day. So I'll shove my k type thermocouple from my multimeter in the vents and check and report back later. I'll try to remember to do both Max w/ recirc and max with fresh air and what fan speed used.

834k3r

Reaction score
We've had temps during the afternoon in the upper 80s/low 90s, and I have no complaints about the a/c performance. I have the cabin temp set at 68 and it's comfortable--especially when I turn on the vented seats.😉

SpookyWatcher

Reaction score
Here's some pics and results
Outside temp = 78
AC Fan = third from lowest (mid range)
AC Temp = one notch less than max (so it could be fresh air)

Driver left of instrument cluster = 45 F
Driver left of center cluster = 43 F
Passenger right side of center cluster = 41 F

So no problems on my end. Not very warm out, but it froze my left hand out and had to move vent.

I can only assume that with max and recirc on it'd be colder.

Attachments

• IMG_4866.JPG
    IMG_4866.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4867.JPG
    IMG_4867.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4869.JPG
    IMG_4869.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4870.JPG
    IMG_4870.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 35

JZ787

Reaction score
Here's some pics and results
Outside temp = 78
AC Fan = third from lowest (mid range)
AC Temp = one notch less than max (so it could be fresh air)

Driver left of instrument cluster = 45 F
Driver left of center cluster = 43 F
Passenger right side of center cluster = 41 F

So no problems on my end. Not very warm out, but it froze my left hand out and had to move vent.

I can only assume that with max and recirc on it'd be colder.

That's about where I would expect vent temperatures to be. I don't believe my dealer that almost 50 degrees with recirc on is normal.

JZ787

Reaction score
Try a different dealer. 49 deg is not in spec, 45 is spec. And how the TSB reads, they are supposed to do it just by the customer stating the problem.
I'm not sure if any of the 2021s are covered under the TSB. I want to clamp my heater hose this weekend and see what that does. It's supposed to be in the 90s and humid, so should be a good time to test it out.

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
TSB does not cover 2021 models.
Just for Ss and Gs, check your cabin filter to make sure it is clean.
I had issues with my AC in 80+ deg temps and checked my cabin filter which was super dirty, weird, my truck was only 3 months old when that happened.
I ended up replacing the cabin filter with K&N washable...high flow.. and the AC is solid now, there is way more airflow than before and I feel cooler with AC set to 74 compared to before when it was set to 70.
It could be this easy of a fix

Lighthawk

Reaction score
My 100 mile old 2021 3500 was parked in the sun today in Cali-for-nia. Dash said it was 113F.
I started it and idled for nearly 5 minutes before it felt cooler inside.

I'll get our digital kitchen thermometer out there and see if I can get data, not anecdotal reporting.

Lighthawk

Reaction score
Today I took some temps. My dash said it was 91F outside, inside was 102. It was midday, in California.
I started the truck, set max ac, max fan, recirc air. It's a Tradesman level 2, so there's three big knobs.

I idled in the driveway for a few minutes, while my cattle dog, Callie was panting. I drove eight minutes while checking the temps out of the dash vents. They never got below 55F. After ten minutes of max fan/max ac the interior was 78F. What if I was in Joshua Tree or AZ or Sacramento?

This truck was driven off the lot (custom order) on Saturday. I contacted my dealer (Auburn Jeep/RAM) and they want me to bring them the truck on Monday to diagnose / fix the issue.

aimlowrobin

Reaction score
Better than my 2020, but not as good as my 2019. No temp readings, just how it feels. My 2020 was terrible.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's in the service manual:

Operate the HVAC system under the following conditions:
  • Engine idling at 1,000 rpm at full operating temperature
  • All doors and windows closed
  • Transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL with parking brake set
  • A/C heater controls set to recirculation mode (MAX A/C), full cool, panel mode, high blower and with A/C compressor engaged.
  • At 80 degrees F, center vent should be 45 degrees F.
Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 051533 miles

JZ787

Reaction score
I had some free time today and was able to get a few more measurements. I started out with a new filter as the poster above mentioned his was dirty with only a few thousand miles on his odometer, and I was surprised to see how filthy mine was with just under 5K on the truck. Anyway, no difference with changing the filter. What did make a difference was clamping off my heater hose running to the heater core. I took a few videos for backup at the dealer, but I doubt that will make a difference.

With heater hose clamped and outside temp between 85-90 degrees
-At idle with max ac selected 48 degrees at drivers vent
-While driving with max ac selected 46 degrees at drivers vent

With heater hose not clamped and outside temp between 85-90 degrees
-At idle with max ac selected 55 degrees at drivers vent
-While driving with max ac selected 50-51 degrees at drivers vent
-At idle with recirc off and fan speed 5 selected 59 degrees at drivers vent
-At idle with recirc off and fan speed 7 selected 66 degrees at drivers vent (absolutely miserable trying to drive at this setting with the sun coming in)

So it looks like it's possible some 21's may still have the same issues as the 19-20s. Clamping off the heater hose did make a difference. I wouldn't say it was night and day, but definitely colder. For reference, I am just outside Philly and we have yet to have any real nasty hot humid days in the 90s. I used a digital cooking thermometer and double checked with my neghbors IR thermometer. Today is not too bad out, just hot in the sun. Again, my truck is a Granite Crystal 2021 crew cab built Jan 15. As of my last dealer vist, system is at correct pressure and no leaks, working to "spec".

Lighthawk

Reaction score
As of my last dealer vist, system is at correct pressure and no leaks, working to "spec".

Sorry to hear that. It doesn't sound like spec to me.
I have a Monday appointment to get my 2021 looked at.

Users who are viewing this thread