5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Owners - How is your A/C?

The Critic

Reaction score
All of the 2021 1500's should have the updated HVAC Distribution Housing, harness and evaporator core. Poor A/C is somewhat common complaint on the 19-20 1500's.

Can any of the 2021 owners provide some feedback on their truck's A/C performance? Vent temperature readings would be appreciated as well.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have vent temps, but being in Houston I've not had any issues with mine. If there's a large solar load I'll run the A/C at 69, on overcast days I'm good keeping it at 72. In the evenings, I've turned it up to 74.

This truck has no issues pulling cabin temps down to reasonable interior temp,s even after baking in the sun.

Dontra

Reaction score
No problem with mine so far, nice and cool

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 2020 that's going in for the A/C TSB. They just ordered the parts.

2020 Bighorn Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi w/eTorque

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2019 and now a 2021. My 2021 is noticeably cooler. Haven't used it all that much yet but there is certainly a difference.

Bigtone

Reaction score
I have had my 2021 Limited in Florida for most of this year, a/c works great. My 2019 Laramie I had before this also had ice cold air. Guess I was lucky with that one.

JZ787

Reaction score
I picked up my 2021 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi no etorque with a January 15th build date in February and love everything about the truck except the A/C performance. So far the hottest it has been in my area was in the low 80's. After driving around for 30 minutes I was seeing 50 degrees at the center left vent. The a/c definitely struggles in this truck which has me worried about summer when its in the 90's with high humidity. The heat and auto cliamte control worked great this winter. Now with switching to a/c I find that auto climate control is always full fan speed, or either constantly messing with the temp controls myself. I will hopefully have it in to the dealer soon to see what they say.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is an Aug 10, 2020 build. Supposedly Aug 1 was the switch to new parts. I get 45-46 temps. Not awful but fan needs to be on high if above 80 degrees. A late Aug build I looked at was under 40 deg, it was non-eTorque). Hoping my Limited non-et build is better.

Mr. Grumpy

Reaction score
I have a Dec 12, 2020 built and I have no issues with the A/C here in San Antonio, TX.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
haven't really had mine on yet - overdressed once in the winter and had to turn it on and didn't feel like it cooled me even in the snow...but I was still bundled up, sooooo. But it has me thinking...I do want to be on top of this to be sure. When taking vent temps is there a special thermometer for something like that? What settings do you recommend to get the correct temps? Also is it proven that the issue doesn't exist beyond a specific date? If so I will check that first.

JZ787

Reaction score
haven't really had mine on yet - overdressed once in the winter and had to turn it on and didn't feel like it cooled me even in the snow...but I was still bundled up, sooooo. But it has me thinking...I do want to be on top of this to be sure. When taking vent temps is there a special thermometer for something like that? What settings do you recommend to get the correct temps? Also is it proven that the issue doesn't exist beyond a specific date? If so I will check that first.
I used a digital cooking thermometer, but you could also use a infrared thermometer. You just want to get in the vent a few inches. You also will get a better reading with a lower fan speed. I ran mine on fan speed 3 with both sides set to low and recirculate on and briefly saw 48 degrees when moving, but then it hung around 50 degrees for most of my ride. With max a/c on it read 51-52ish. My build date is Jan 15, 2020, so I should have the revised parts.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used a digital cooking thermometer, but you could also use a infrared thermometer. You just want to get in the vent a few inches. You also will get a better reading with a lower fan speed. I ran mine on fan speed 3 with both sides set to low and recirculate on and briefly saw 48 degrees when moving, but then it hung around 50 degrees for most of my ride. With max a/c on it read 51-52ish. My build date is Jan 15, 2020, so I should have the revised parts.

The TSB is for builds prior to Aug 1, 2020. Meaning builds prior to that date do not have the updated parts. You may see first if your dealer can adjust the blend doors

JZ787

Reaction score
The TSB is for builds prior to Aug 1, 2020. Meaning builds prior to that date do not have the updated parts. You may see first if your dealer can adjust the blend doors
That's what I wanted to ask my dealer, if there was a way to adjust the blend doors. It almost seems that they are off and favoring the heat. I get warm air with the temp set to 68 degrees, then at 67 it will start getting cool. The only thing is the a/c doesn't get cold even in that short time between where the coolant warms up. It is always just "cool". Our 2018 Grand Cherokees a/c will be cold with in a minute or so of staring up. I will have to see what the dealer says and report back.

deadringer

Reaction score
I have a 2021 that was manufactured in oct 20. Its not been real hot here in SE NC yet, but a few weeks ago it was 89 degrees and I measured 44-45 degrees at the center left vent with a digital cooking thermometer. My laser thermometer was all over the place with values and I dont feel was as accurate. It read colder.

JZ787

Reaction score
I figured I would update since I finally made it in to the dealer. Dealer looked at the a/c system on my 2021 and said it was within spec. With a 75 degree exterior temp today, the temp at the vent was 49 degrees. I had a 3 hour trip last week, temps in the 90s and mostly highway, I had to use max cool for most of the trip which struggled to keep the cab cool. I would have to say overall I'm really disappointed in the HVAC system in this truck. I may try clamping off one of the heater core hoses to see if that makes a difference.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I figured I would update since I finally made it in to the dealer. Dealer looked at the a/c system on my 2021 and said it was within spec. With a 75 degree exterior temp today, the temp at the vent was 49 degrees. I had a 3 hour trip last week, temps in the 90s and mostly highway, I had to use max cool for most of the trip which struggled to keep the cab cool. I would have to say overall I'm really disappointed in the HVAC system in this truck. I may try clamping off one of the heater core hoses to see if that makes a difference.
Try a different dealer. 49 deg is not in spec, 45 is spec. And how the TSB reads, they are supposed to do it just by the customer stating the problem.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I finally had a hot enough day to see how the AC works on my 2021 Limited (92 degrees when I left work). I have to say it seems to work better than it did in the 2020 Laramie I had. I'm happy with how it works. I'll try to check the temps when I have a little more time.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My 2019 with the TSB done cools fine now.
Night and day from what it was before the work was done, so all 2021s should be perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread