5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Limited RamBoxes --Should I complain???

csumner2020

Reaction score
So I just switched over from Ford (past 20 years) to a Ram 1500 Limited. I bought my truck with the RamBoxes last week. After some folks mentioned to me that one of the boxes was not fully closed I started looking and the passenger side just isnt straight. Pics attached. I've searched the forum and unfortunately found that I'm not the only one with this problem. The drivers side is straight as an arrow. The fit is tight enough that I cant get my finger in the gap. The passenger side not so much. I included pics of both sides. The passenger side is the full size pics.

I came across the thread that discussed taking the boxes out and removing shims and possibly adjusting the lock bolt. Has anyone ever taken their truck to a dealership and them corrected the issue. My truck has 300 miles and its killing me that my 73k dollar truck has this problem. Driver 1.jpg Passenger 2.jpg Passenger 3.jpg

Attachments

• Driver 2.jpg
    Driver 2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 64
  • Driver 3.jpg
    Driver 3.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Passenger 1.jpg
    Passenger 1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 62

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your driver's side looks fantastic. You might read through the older threads (particularly the one authored by @Edwards) on RamBox adjustments, as you might have better luck adjusting the passenger side box yourself than going through the hassle of dealer visits. Just my $0.02.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, some people have had good results from working with their dealers. But I would say the majority of people have not. My biggest concern with your passenger side is whether it's allowing water inside. The gap looks excessive. Take your truck through a car wash, then check for water inside. Most of us have come to grips with the fact that the lids on the 5th gen ramboxes are crap. But the usability of them outweighs the aesthetic issues they almost all seem to have. It's probably worth at least talking with your service adviser about what can be done about it, especially if you discover that it's leaking.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On my 2014, the strikers were not adjustable on my Ramboxes, and they were not sealing well. In additional, they bounced a little over bumps.

Even though the bottom parts of the striker latch were rivetted in, the top still had bolts. I found that by removing the bolts, adding couple washers, and reinstalling the bolts, it moved the striker enough that the lids shut harder/tighter. Solved all my issues. I cannot recall exactly when I performed that fix, but I had it that way at least a few tens of thousands of miles before I traded it in on my 2020.

EDIT: The rear side of my passenger Rambox is very slightly higher than the others, so I tried this trick on that side. It does not help, and any more than one washer makes it very hard to actually shut the Rambox.

Last edited:

pcripley2

Reaction score
Yes, my passenger side was near perfect but my driver side seemed pushed in and would open intermittently on its own. Took it to the dealership and now it stays closed, but I'm still not happy with how it lines up with the bed sides. I'll take it in again and let y'all know what happens.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/