5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021' Laramie Corsa Sport

ais122

Reaction score
Hey Everyone! I'm a new member here and I recently purchased a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport. I looked online for what seemed like hundreds of hours and tried multiple different things with exhausts/mufflers/etc.

What I didn't see is anything about the 2021. Most of everything looks to be on the 2019 and 2020. I wanted to make this post to provide some information as far as setups go.

Key distinctions are that the 2021 (at least my Laramie) had NO 3rd resonator. I'm not sure what the engineering explanation is, but there is no 3rd resonator. The only resonators are the 2 on the tailpipe. That said, I didn't know if that meant the 2021s would naturally be louder than the 2019s and 2020s. In short (see below), this is incorrect. In fact, the 2021 is without a doubt quieter in the cabin than the 2019 and 2020... again, not sure why, but it is. I watched "Beast Projects", "Water fowler 41", all the "Exhaust Addicts", "Corn_Taco", and "SLOPAR BOYS"... in all of their videos, if you turn the sound up, you can hear a LITTLE inside the cabin (not drone), but some of the exhaust. In my 2021, I cannot literally hear a thing. To the point where I looked at my buddy and asked if we even put on the Corsa correctly. I digress (will pick this up later on in the post).

I'm the traditional guy that likes a true v8 rumble and sound with no drone (just like everyone else). In order to do that, I started with a Magnaflow 18". I probably looked at every 5th gen Ram Magnaflow (and Mufflex) setup with Magnaflow and after talking to Magnaflow directly, I chose to go with an 18". I'm glad I initially went with the 18". If I went with a 24", it would have definitely been somehow too quiet and honestly if I went with the 14", I know for a fact there would be a little bit of drone, even in the extremely quiet 2021 cab. I know a lot of posters say there is zero drone on their 14" but I venture to say that you will 100% have a slight bit, not much, but a slight bit. Back to the 18": with the 18", I initially thought that it was too quiet, but after 1,000 miles, it's without a doubt much louder (on startup - cold and warm and also driving). The tone of the 18" 100% got better with time. It's a deep, clean sound. When the truck initially came off the lift, it sounded like there was literally no change to the tone of the truck, but somehow after 1,000 miles, there was a remarkable difference. It's a type of sound change that just creeps up on you, meaning, you don't really think about it but one day you'll start it and say "damn, that's pretty loud". It's just something that happens. True to MF and Mufflex, the 18" had VERY VERY VERY LITTLE drone. To put it into perspective, if you put the radio on level 6, you can't hear anything. You do definitely feel the sound under your feet on slight acceleration and WOT. I'd say that the videos out there are true to sound as far as the tone you're going to expect with a MF or Mufflex. With all that said, the only thing that made me want to change was that (and I hope I don't offend anyone), the "deep" MF tone really felt like an "aftermarket" exhaust. What I mean is that, I noticed when I had others drive my truck, the sound was almost "too clean" and it was immediately clear that I had "an aftermarket exhaust" on the truck. I came to realize that what I wanted was a sound that didn't sound "aftermarket" but actually sounded like THE ACTUAL HEMI engine (i.e. straight piped, no resonators, no muffler.... just wide open). So, I started to venture into looking into what a Ram sounded like straight piped; I realized that the tone of the Ram with straight pipes sound nothing like a MF and/or Flowmaster. The MF and FM sound "manufactured" for lack of better words. They sound amazing, but it wasn't the voice of a hemi, in my opinion. I then started comparing the straight pipes with other exhausts and found out that Borla and Corsa were the closest 2 manufacturers that seemed to be true to the raw hemi straight pipe sound. The only issue then was either go straight pipe or go Borla/Corsa. I didn't go straight pipe because straight piping is actually F******G LOUD... like, head exploding loud... ALL THE TIME. So the straight pipes were out the window. I didn't do a res delete because although the sound gets louder, you definitely FEEL the noise in the cabin, if you can't hear it. It's kind of annoying to feel a slight rumble on your body every time you drive.

So, after 1,000 miles on the MF, I looked around and saw people with the Borla Atak and S-Type (all the comparisons) and found that they sounded really really really good. My initial first impressions, just like everyone in YT comment sections, was that Borla sounded nicer across the board. Nice and deep with a good bite like a hemi, however, I did learn that some had droning issues, even though they are claimed not to have droning. So, my priorities became (1) hemi sound, (2) no drone, and it looked like Corsa was the only catback that fit that bill. I was still hedging on the fence, but what changed my mind was the SLOPAR BOYS video, which is probably the most accurate representation of what a Corsa Sport sounds like. The million dollar question was, "what about on a 2021?" There were no videos so I took a plunge. I just slapped a Corsa Sport on an hour ago and it sounds EXACTLY like what the SLOPAR BOYS outside audio sounds like but on the inside YOU CANNOT HEAR ANYTHING... NOTHING. Someone briefly mentioned that it felt like Corsa was quieter than stock, but I can say on the 2021... it IS quieter than the stock muffler in the cabin. I have absolutely no idea how this is possible and I, quite frankly, was skeptical at first, but somehow it's loud outside but literally NO SOUND on the inside. Dare I say that the Corsa even made the MDS sound disappear? because it sounds like it did. I wanted to mention that initially I didn't know how to explain the sound that I wanted, but I learned after I put on the MF that a THROATY sound (in my opinion) IS the hemi sound. Not a clean sound like MF but just a raw throaty v8 muscle sound. That's exactly what the Corsa delivered. I'm not sure if the "Extreme" option for the 2021 Ram is even a point because there is no resonator to take off... maybe the Sport IS the Extreme for the 2021?

In any event, I wanted to just share my thoughts and let people know that the 2021s are built different from the 2019 and 2020. Again, not sure how this was engineered, but the cabin is just insanely quiet... this is not overexaggerating.

If you want a CLEAN sound, 100% go with MF... I recommend an 18" w/ 5" tips. If you want ZERO sound in the cabin plus a throaty, v8 hemi sound, then I'd go with a Corsa. If you want a mix, the Borla it is, 100%.

I hope this helps and if anyone has any questions, let me know :)

Oh, lastly, I had the Carven tips with my MF, but the Corsa flat tips look 10x better IMO. Something about a double-walled flat tip is visually perfect.

Ldc2335

Reaction score
Glad you like it. Corsa makes some amazing exhausts and you can tell they actually do some engineering with their systems. For 1400 bucks though, it better sound amazing

When looking at the diagrams, the 19-20 and 21 look the same. Pic below is a 21 and it has three resonators. One before the Muffler and the two at the exhaust tips. On all three years, they don't call it a resonator the whole piece is called a "extension."

However, there are 3 variants of this extension. Without spending alot of time on this, I'd imagine it's not year specific, but model specific.

I could be completely wrong though. Just adding to the conversation.
af0c4a0fb5c01156fc9c38c4649c86a9.jpg
0a201c6d380fba377454cf8aac59694b.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

ais122

Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up! Yeah, in the diagram I see a 3rd reso, but on my model, I don't have one. Very strange! In either case, called Corsa and they confirmed that models with no 3rd reso should NOT buy the the "extreme" upgrade as it does absolutely nothing.

Also, just slapped an S&B with the Corsa and there is definitely a change in tone/sound (for the better).

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah my 21 doesn't have the third resonator either. I have the Borla weld on muffler and it's plenty loud for me.

Users who are viewing this thread