5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Laramie Ambient Lighting

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a small white LED in the overhead Console that gives
some ambient light to the front cup holders.

Malodave

Chief holley

Reaction score
It is definitely some different materials that they are using in the 2021 compared to the 2019. I traded my 2019 in for a 2021 as well and noticed that the Ambient lighting seemed to have been missing. I spoke with Paragoptics and they confirmed that Ram actually removed the dash lighting from the ambient lighting package. The door lighting is also different, there used to be a light strip on the lower portion of the door.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Above the upper glovebox, above the start/stop button, and the small space to the left of the gauge cluster, all where the top dash cover meets the lower half of the dash.
Based on your description, then yes, my 2020 Laramie does have ambient dash lighting.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@MayhemMOORE did you ever determine an answer on this? I was messing with this stuff this morning and found that either A. my dash ambient lighting doesn't work or B. it doesn't exist. I messed with all the switches and was able to adjust brightness of the door ambient lights but nothing would come on in the dash. I know there were an issue for some 2019-2020s and didn't work from the factory. Maybe they removed the dash ambient altogether?

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@MayhemMOORE did you ever determine an answer on this? I was messing with this stuff this morning and found that either A. my dash ambient lighting doesn't work or B. it doesn't exist. I messed with all the switches and was able to adjust brightness of the door ambient lights but nothing would come on in the dash. I know there were an issue for some 2019-2020s and didn't work from the factory. Maybe they removed the dash ambient altogether?
It was removed on the 2021 Laramie's. I haven't dug too much deeper to see if it's something I can add without too much hassle. Hopefully I can find some time to look at it more in the near future.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It was removed on the 2021 Laramie's. I haven't dug too much deeper to see if it's something I can add without too much hassle. Hopefully I can find some time to look at it more in the near future.
Makes sense. I am sure it would be easy to add provided the wiring is there. If its not, it wouldn't be worth it to me at that point. Glad I didn't go to the dealer and make an *** of myself.

Tomcat68

Reaction score
Makes sense. I am sure it would be easy to add provided the wiring is there. If its not, it wouldn't be worth it to me at that point. Glad I didn't go to the dealer and make an *** of myself.
I'd also assume you would need a new dash light switch for the additional up down switch. Might be easier just to add aftermarket??

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd also assume you would need a new dash light switch for the additional up down switch. Might be easier just to add aftermarket??

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I would agree, aftermarket seems to be the route to go. I would do this but it would be at the bottom of my "upgrades" list.

Atp816

Reaction score
Slightly off topic here, but I noticed that the led in my overhead console dims/brightens in opposite to my ambient lights. Is this the normal function in everyone else’s truck?

oaviking06

Reaction score
Yes the 2021 removed the dash lights. They reserved the dash lighting for the higher trim models Long Horn/Limited. The Laramie's supposedly still have the wiring tucked away in the dash, you just have to find it and buy the parts. It is my believe they did this because it was during the "shortage" of things due to covid. The Laramie's have 2 dials, the left one controls the brightness of the ambient light only if they are activated. The right dial controls the dash lights, as mentioned, if this dial is turned all the way up the ambient lights are off, you have to rotate it down just a bit and the ambient lights turn on. Here is a thread where they have talked about the process of adding the dash lights.

Users who are viewing this thread