5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Ford F-150 Owners Are Already Facing Rust, Corrosion Issues

Neil McCauley

Reaction score

Rust is a sad reality for most vehicle owners, especially those that live in areas with harsh winters or near the salty ocean. But we expect our vehicles to last quite some time before rust starts to rear its ugly head. That hasn’t been the case for a few 2021 Ford F-150 owners, however, as many of them are already facing various rust and corrosion issues mere months after taking delivery of their shiny new trucks.

That includes Adam Daily of Spring, Texas, who recently told the Detroit Free Press that his 2021 Ford F-150 began showing surface rust on its axles and other underbody components within days of bringing it home. In addition to that, rusty water dripped off those parts and left brown stains on his garage floor. So far, he says neither the dealer nor the automaker has an answer for him.

“I’ve been getting ghosted,” Daily said. “Ever since I got this truck, nobody knows anything. My 2016 F-150 had 65,000 miles when I turned it in, and it didn’t look like this. This thing looks like it’s a few years old and driven in heavy snow-like conditions with salt on the roads. I didn’t know what to expect but I didn’t expect people to get ignored.”

“These parts look they were possibly sitting in water or somewhere where it’s wet,” Daily said. “People have images that are around the shock mounts, too. There shouldn’t be so much corrosion on a truck just built. I’m in quality control and I’m embarrassed I missed this. But I was so excited to get my truck.”

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well, not like we don't have a few threads about that same issue here on some trucks for certain components, though I suspect it's a coating issue for those batch of parts.

Looks like surface rust, looks bad but an easy fix, not likely any of that rust could be structural in such a short time.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do notice that on the Fords. They have an aluminum body but when ever I get stuck behind one I notice most of them have the axle and rear ends rusted up more then on other makes I see.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
This takes me back....

I remember when Ford Tempos were new. They let the engine blocks rust before they got painted, or etched them with the wrong stuff. Something. All the grey paint would peel off in sheets. I'd get one on the rack to do an oil change and look up and the thing looked ancient. And this was part of California where the roads never need salt.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is a good overview between the Brands, Ram Looks pretty good, Ford not as well.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score

Rust is a sad reality for most vehicle owners, especially those that live in areas with harsh winters or near the salty ocean. But we expect our vehicles to last quite some time before rust starts to rear its ugly head. That hasn’t been the case for a few 2021 Ford F-150 owners, however, as many of them are already facing various rust and corrosion issues mere months after taking delivery of their shiny new trucks.

That includes Adam Daily of Spring, Texas, who recently told the Detroit Free Press that his 2021 Ford F-150 began showing surface rust on its axles and other underbody components within days of bringing it home. In addition to that, rusty water dripped off those parts and left brown stains on his garage floor. So far, he says neither the dealer nor the automaker has an answer for him.

“I’ve been getting ghosted,” Daily said. “Ever since I got this truck, nobody knows anything. My 2016 F-150 had 65,000 miles when I turned it in, and it didn’t look like this. This thing looks like it’s a few years old and driven in heavy snow-like conditions with salt on the roads. I didn’t know what to expect but I didn’t expect people to get ignored.”

“These parts look they were possibly sitting in water or somewhere where it’s wet,” Daily said. “People have images that are around the shock mounts, too. There shouldn’t be so much corrosion on a truck just built. I’m in quality control and I’m embarrassed I missed this. But I was so excited to get my truck.”
Wow, I've read about rusted new trucks after sitting in factory yards however these 21's are so new, that doesn't seem right.

1ramrunner

Reaction score
I thought they were built some time last year and were sitting in a yard waiting for parts to finish before shipping.

tidefan1967

Reaction score
Fords come with rusty underpinnings from the factory. I’ve owned several new F150s and they were all extremely rusty underneath right off the showroom floor. Definitely more so than any new Ram or GM trucks that I’ve owned.

Users who are viewing this thread