5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 EcoDiesel Towing

Beatle9999

Reaction score
So I just purchased a 2021 limited with the tow package. It’s an ecodiesel and my current configuration has a towing max of about 8200 lbs. I’be never towed anything but the wife wants to get a travel trailer next year. Does anyone have any experience towing with the eco diesel? Or advice as to what weight, length, trailer I should try to stick to? Again I’m new to trucks and super news to any type of towing. Any advice would really help, thanks.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much you can tow largely depends on your payload capacity. What does your door jam sticker show?

NimbusRam

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Limited EcoDiesel with the 3.21 gearing and I love it. I use it mostly for commuting to work but otherwise connect my 23FB Airstream. The 23FB Airstream max's out at 6000lb loaded and with a bed load of other camping equipment, it tows just fine. I usually get between 17-18 mpg round trip while towing through the mountains of NH and into Maine. The big test is coming soon with a drive from NH to Myrtle Beach using the truckers highway to avoid most of the east coast cities. It's about 1100 miles each way with varying elevation so I'll get a better sense of mileage then.

To help minimize any sway, make sure you get a good weight distribution hitch and I recommend upgrading the rear sway bar to the Hellwig Sway bar.
Hellwig Sway Bar

Amazon says it doesn't fit the 2020 Ram but I confirmed with Hellwig that it does and I have it installed. I have it set on the middle holes and it helps greatly with towing and general riding, keeps the back end planted more firmly.

The only thing I'm really not happy with is the 22" wheels, they look great but they ride a bit harsh. I purchased a set of 20" takeoffs from a Laramie Sport with the Falken Wildpeaks and they ride very smooth and provide better grip into some of the gravel trails we have towed the trailer.

I'll be swapping out the 22's again for this next trip so I can have a smoother towing trip, I just wish I had the 20" rims from the Limited as they look much nicer.

I'm patiently waiting for Green Diesel Engineering to release the tune for the 5th Gen Ram 1500 and the 3rd Gen EcoDiesel. I used their tune on my old Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit EcoDiesel and it was a huge improvement over the stock tune. I'm hoping for great things when they release the tune for the new EcoDiesel.

Hope this helps.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My door jamb sticker on my limited shows just under 1100 pounds payload. I don't regret the truck one bit but if you add features to your truck, payload will be seriously limited. Once we load up ourselves and camping gear, we only have about 700 pounds left to put in the back or put on a trailer as hitch weight.

If the 2500s were as nice inside and had a newer cab I probably would have gone with that.

NimbusRam

Reaction score
The payload weight on my 2020 Limited says 1465lbs.
No sunroof, no MFG, no Ramboxes, every other option though.
Last time through scales I had the following: (this includes loaded bed, small dog, full tank of fuel and DEF, wife) I was standing outside the truck so add another 230 lbs for me.
Steer Axle: 3280 lbs
Drive Axle: 3240 lbs
Trailer Axle: 5220 lbs (loaded with what we need and 50% full water tanks approx 20 gals. to help minimize sway)
Total Weight 11740 lbs.

Unloaded Weight: (this includes bed cover, full tank of fuel, hitch receiver set)
Steer Axle: 3340 lbs
Drive Axle: 2500 lbs
Trailer Axle: - lbs
Total Weight 5840 lbs.

I may check it again during my trip down to Myrtle to make sure it is still good, but it is well within spec as-is.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3 of us probably maybe 400 passenger weight
You've got about 100# more payload than us and about 100# more cargo. We don't really need to carry much in the truck when taking the camper (6200# max, but I'm closer to 5600#) and once I got used to the trailer, the truck has done very well. I haven't had it on the interstate much, but driving in the NC foothills and mountains, fuel economy has been pretty good considering I'm towing a large brick.

I've got the Andersen 3350 Weight Distribution Hitch, but don't have it perfectly configured yet.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Here’s my 21 rebel ED, 33’ ball to bumper 7600lb loaded Dutchmen (scaled) ready to go. The only thing other than 4 passengers we have in the truck are the 4 bikes on the rack over the tonneau, bed is empty. Payload 1444lbs. Still had 200lbs left to GVWR on the scale ticket. Has Airlift 1000HD bags in the rear coils. Tows like a champ and still got mileage better than my old Hemi ever got unloaded on the highway.
b301a64a927e009edb1531d846af9ff0.jpg

Beatle9999

Reaction score
Wow nice!!!! That’s probably similar to what I want to set up.

Addisondad51

Reaction score
Here’s my 21 rebel ED, 33’ ball to bumper 7600lb loaded Dutchmen (scaled) ready to go. The only thing other than 4 passengers we have in the truck are the 4 bikes on the rack over the tonneau, bed is empty. Payload 1444lbs. Still had 200lbs left to GVWR on the scale ticket. Has Airlift 1000HD bags in the rear coils. Tows like a champ and still got mileage better than my old Hemi ever got unloaded on the highway.
b301a64a927e009edb1531d846af9ff0.jpg
Good Morning! I know I'm replying to an old post but I'm new to the forum and getting into the RV towing business, I hope. Do you happen to know what Transmission temps you run when towing this setup? Do you have anything in addition to the factory Transmission cooler?

Users who are viewing this thread