5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Ecodiesel Oil Pressure problem

Eco Fan

Reaction score
My 2021 1500 Ecodiesel is in the dealership shop with less than 6K miles due to low oil pressure problems.
Just curious if any other 2021 Ecodiesel owners are experiencing the same thing.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2021 1500 Ecodiesel is in the dealership shop with less than 6K miles due to low oil pressure problems.
Just curious if any other 2021 Ecodiesel owners are experiencing the same thing.
Sorry to hear about that. What were you experiencing to cause you to take it in? What oil pressure were you seeing? Was oil pressure low at idle, at highway speeds or ??? Your answer can help us respond with a more coherent, applicable response. If you say you're seeing 20 at idle, that's about right but if you say it's reading 4 at idle...then you do have a problem. I've seen guys who have owned gas engines all their lives almost have heart failure when they first notice the oil pressure at idle on their diesels.

Did you happen to check your oil level before you took it to the dealer?

Last edited:

GrizEagle

Reaction score
I have head of multiple owners having oil pressure issues if the oil filter cap is not torqued all the way down. Tighten the cap and the issue goes away.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have head of multiple owners having oil pressure issues if the oil filter cap is not torqued all the way down. Tighten the cap and the issue goes away.

I’m assuming they are not losing oil?

Eco Fan

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that. What were you experiencing to cause you to take it in? What oil pressure were you seeing? Was oil pressure low at idle, at highway speeds or ??? Your answer can help us respond with a more coherent, applicable response. If you say you're seeing 20 at idle, that's about right but if you say it's reading 4 at idle...then you do have a problem. I've seen guys who have owned gas engines all their lives almost have heart failure when they first notice the oil pressure at idle on their diesels.

Did you happen to check your oil level before you took it to the dealer?
Well, I called the dealership to let them know that the instrument panel warning came on indicating that the engine was experiencing low oil pressure. They asked what the oil pressure reading was at idle and I responded that it was reading 8-9 lbs at idle. At 1750 RPMs the pressure runs about 30-32. The dealership immediately told me not to drive it. It was towed in. Pressure sensor replaced. Drove it home. Turned it off in the driveway and restarted it. Immediately the low pressure warning came on again. All the low pressure warnings happen when the engine is at operating temperature. By the way this is my second Ecodiesel to own. It may be my last. The first one locked up on me going down the hwy in Houston, Tx. That engine had approximately 25K miles on it. This one has less than 6k miles. I did change the oil myself at 5200 miles. A Mopar brand oil filter and I used Penzoil Platinum Euro Blend Full Synthetic 5W-40 oil. This is the only oil that the Chrysler help line recommended and it has the MS12991 specification on the container.

Eco Fan

Reaction score
Well, I used my Torque wrench when I installed the filter. This one has the cap and filter all in one.

Eco Fan

Reaction score
Well, I used my Torque wrench when I installed the filter. This one has the cap and filter all in one.

GrizEagle

Reaction score
I would pull the filter back off, check the o rings, re-install (with a new filter, if it was me) and torque down. Make sure to lube the o rings with oil before reassembly. Sounds like this issue happened shortly after you did an oil change. This was the same situation with the other cases that I have heard about.

Here is a link to one of the treads I have read about that mention the issue. https://www.ram1500diesel.com/threads/low-oil-pressure-warning.71138/

Eco Fan

Reaction score
I would pull the filter back off, check the o rings, re-install (with a new filter, if it was me) and torque down. Make sure to lube the o rings with oil before reassembly. Sounds like this issue happened shortly after you did an oil change. This was the same situation with the other cases that I have heard about.

Here is a link to one of the treads I have read about that mention the issue. https://www.ram1500diesel.com/threads/low-oil-pressure-warning.71138/
Thanks. I realize that we never really know what is going on in the dealership. But the story I was given is that the tech has been talking to Chrysler help line and no one has been able to diagnose the real issue. I would like to think that the simple fixes have been covered. But you never really know.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The oil filter goes on pretty snug. I'd skip the torque wrench and just tighten until it won't go anymore (not crank on it).

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

TS RAM

Reaction score
I had the oil low pressure warning a few minutes after I changed the oil. I was certain I had the oil cap tight. Took it off and reinstalled it. Problem gone. Now have 20,000 miles on my 2021 ecodiesel, and have not had to take it back to the dealer for ANYTHING. So far, continues to run great. Thanks to all on this forum.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the oil low pressure warning a few minutes after I changed the oil. I was certain I had the oil cap tight. Took it off and reinstalled it. Problem gone. Now have 20,000 miles on my 2021 ecodiesel, and have not had to take it back to the dealer for ANYTHING. So far, continues to run great. Thanks to all on this forum.
Same thing on my last oil change. But it happened once the new oil was up to temp.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread