5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Dodge 3500 setting up a backup camera for a 5th wheel

Psycho

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new just to make sure I'm on the correct forum. The 2021 Dodge Ram 3500 is a 5th generation truck. I've seen some web pages say 4th but regardless I'm assuming it's a 5th gen.
Now on to my discussion>>>The truck already has a bed mounted dual camera prep kit PN 82216066AB installed from the factory for a 5th wheel camera setup.
From what I can tell the signaling is LVDS Low-Voltage Differential Signaling - please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm in electronics and I'm familiar with LVDS design etc.
This is not the same as a composite video signal using a single coax.
I'm looking to extend the camera to the cab all the way from the back of my 40 foot trailer.
There is a trailer CAMERA kit from Mopar PN 82216068AD, that is currently unavailable and there is no known release date for builds, from what the dealership has told me.
So I've been researching to build my own.
Having done some research I have discovered that Mopar my not be able to make this work for the following reasons:
LVDS copper is limited to a distance of 10 meters. (about 29 feet). This includes the entire distance from the camera to the cab. The distance from the bed on a crew cab truck is around 20 feet alone.
By the time you add a camera at the back of the 40 foot trailer it's around 60 feet or about double the distance due to transmission losses the signals can travel (29 feet) in ideal conditions.
Another thing to consider is the connectors and wire has to be capable of handling 50 or 60 ohm differential shielded cables to transmit and keep the cable impedance in line with the termination impedance of the transmitter and receiver to avoid more loss (on top of the transmitted distance required).
So in summary it looks to me that for this to work electronically the cable will have to have a LVDS buffer\repeater in the middle of the cable or the signal won't be strong enough to make it to the dash receiver (12" display) etc.

1. Has anyone installed the camera on a long trailer with the long harness on a crew cab truck and have it work?
2. I'm looking for a inexpensive camera with LVDS outputs, that has infrared capability and as close to 170 degrees viewing as possible.
3. A mating connector that can be purchased to use and wire into a cable harness.
4. If anyone out there knows what the LVDS camera specs in terms of frame rate and resolution etc. that would also help me on my quest.
My less desirable way of making it work is to use a composite video to LVDS converter but that is probably not easily available either.
I know I'm probably hoping for the impossible but I'd like to make it work. Thanks in advance!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Current 2019-2024 HD's are 4.5 gen. They have a new frame and skin, but still have the 4th gen cab.

We have a home just for you over at HDRAMS.COM. I suggest you join and post over there in the towing forum and tag @Jimmy07. Plenty of camera threads covering this exact topic.

LVDS is the Tow mode (digital) camera (AVF), not the same thing as the XFQ (analag) camera setup. They are 2 separate and distinct systems. The above threads will lead you down the correct path.

My truck is a 2020 so only AUX1/AUX2 analog (no trailer 360 until 2022) and my trailer is only 32' cap to back, but I'm running a budget analog sony CCD camera just fine. Viewing angle is not as advertised and is a disappointment @ only 72° vertical. Still looking for a real 90-100° vertical view camera..

The hardest part to source for a DIY on these is the leading 12-pin connector/cable. You can purchase a Ford cable and mod it, that's what several of us have done. Connectors/pins available from Mouser or DigiKey. Again, lots of info on the sister site.

Users who are viewing this thread