5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Built to Serve Trip to Hancock Pass, Colorado

Flamma

Reaction score
I recently took an off-road trip from Cottonwood Pass (when did that get paved?) through Tincup, Cumberland Pass, Alpine Tunnel (partially), and ended up on Hancock Pass.

I did this in my completely stock 2021 Built to Serve Edition Ram, and besides the running boards (and a few other low hanging items), it did extremely well.

Most of it was 4 wheel drive auto, but Hancock Pass required 4 Low, and rear locker engaged. I had 4 passengers and ran the AC pretty much full time.

Unfortunately, Alpine Tunnel route was shut off due to it being partially collapsed (it's already a narrow SOB), so that left us to decide on Hancock or Tomichi. When I got to the top of Hancock, the other side (and the hail-storm) was not something I wanted to chance with my stock rig, so we went back down and ended up going to Pitkin for the easy way out, down to Hwy 50.

Note for future Colorado Passes - get rid of the stock running boards lol. Going to hit Imogene and Black Bear next.

Some pictures of a beautiful, fun, and sometimes anxious day.

Attachments

• Headed to Tincup.jpg
    Headed to Tincup.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 138
  • Just before Tincup.jpg
    Just before Tincup.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Welcome to Tincup Colorado.jpg
    Welcome to Tincup Colorado.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 135
  • Outside Frency's.jpg
    Outside Frency's.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 129
  • Path to Cumberland Pass.jpg
    Path to Cumberland Pass.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 137
  • Top of Cumberland Pass.jpg
    Top of Cumberland Pass.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Alpine Tunnel trail.jpg
    Alpine Tunnel trail.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 6 pt turn to find right line.jpg
    6 pt turn to find right line.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Hancock Pass.jpg
    Hancock Pass.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 146
  • View from Hancock Pass.jpg
    View from Hancock Pass.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 144

dinomufin

Reaction score
Nice! Waiting to get my BTS off the road soon. I may very well remove the running boards and front air dam just for the trip.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Over the weekend did some very light stuff but at least tested the systems to make sure they work. One thing I noticed was that the elocker on a steep area with hand sized rocks and ruts was a totally different experience than in my old 2015 outdoorsman with the limited slip. You can definitely feel the difference as the rear end bites totally differently...and in a good way. Further, you can feel the difference of the new frame in that it is stiffer on national forest roads and going up the incline. To be honest I'm thinking it is not as good on washboard as the old one due to the stiffness of the frame, but going to go a few more times. I got a distinct and not pleasant resonant thrum at certain speeds on washboard I never had before. So, that's my experience. What's involved in temporarily removing the air dam? It certainly seems counter to the intrinsic nature of the off road package, like an accident waiting to happen.

Aaron987

Reaction score
I recently took an off-road trip from Cottonwood Pass (when did that get paved?) through Tincup, Cumberland Pass, Alpine Tunnel (partially), and ended up on Hancock Pass.

I did this in my completely stock 2021 Built to Serve Edition Ram, and besides the running boards (and a few other low hanging items), it did extremely well.

Most of it was 4 wheel drive auto, but Hancock Pass required 4 Low, and rear locker engaged. I had 4 passengers and ran the AC pretty much full time.

Unfortunately, Alpine Tunnel route was shut off due to it being partially collapsed (it's already a narrow SOB), so that left us to decide on Hancock or Tomichi. When I got to the top of Hancock, the other side (and the hail-storm) was not something I wanted to chance with my stock rig, so we went back down and ended up going to Pitkin for the easy way out, down to Hwy 50.

Note for future Colorado Passes - get rid of the stock running boards lol. Going to hit Imogene and Black Bear next.

Some pictures of a beautiful, fun, and sometimes anxious day.
Are you on the air suspension? I wouldn't think you would be... either way, are you going to get a lift and bigger tires eventually or push the stock setup to see how far it can go?

Maxx102

Reaction score
Beautiful country up there....speaking of which...

CW McCall - "Black Bear Road" ..... "You don't have to be crazy to drive this road, but it helps." and if you have to park your rig, find a rock to put under the wheels and when I say rock, I mean ROCK!! Otherwise your rig might end up like the jeep in the song.

1628898364857.png

Users who are viewing this thread