5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Air Suspension Issues

A4Owner

Reaction score
Hi just wondering if any of you newer owners in Canada have experienced air suspension issues as yet? I know this is way early on...but anyone at all?

A4Owner

Reaction score
And one other question is are the steel/coil spring versions of these better than the offerings from Ford or GM, or was it the air ride that made them better? Like I thought this was the only truck that has 4 independent coils vs leafs out back.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
And one other question is are the steel/coil spring versions of these better than the offerings from Ford or GM, or was it the air ride that made them better? Like I thought this was the only truck that has 4 independent coils vs leafs out back.
It is the only truck with coil springs in the rear . I think they ride better than the trucks with leaf springs .

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Both. And while coils have a more car-like ride, some people prefer the stability/feeling of leaf springs for hauling & towing. I wouldn't call it "4 independent coils" though - the rear axle is still solid. Yes, there are 4 coils, but indepedent is used to describe a suspension that allows each side/corner to articulate on its own. Even though there are coils in the rear of the RAM, it is not an independent rear suspension.

A4Owner

Reaction score
Okay thanks so in that sense (meaning of ride quality/sophistication) the air ride is superior correct?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The new Air Suspension is a sealed system, so they are not failing like the previous version.
I am in NH and no problems thru last Winter.

Malodave

APmech

Reaction score
My 20 Limited leaks down completely in about 3 days. I noticed about a week after buying it. I haven't had time yet to bring it to a dealer to have it checked out because I'm always deployed. My last new vehicle with air suspension, a 2015 Grand Cherokee, about a week into ownership had a leaking left rear airbag and the dealer still shot-gunned all of the wrong parts (including the compressor) before I took it back again and showed them where the leak was. My next pickup will have normal springs.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 20 Limited leaks down completely in about 3 days. I noticed about a week after buying it. I haven't had time yet to bring it to a dealer to have it checked out because I'm always deployed. My last new vehicle with air suspension, a 2015 Grand Cherokee, about a week into ownership had a leaking left rear airbag and the dealer still shot-gunned all of the wrong parts (including the compressor) before I took it back again and showed them where the leak was. My next pickup will normal springs.
Not seen anyone report this before on this site (50K+ members); hope you get it resolved when you're back (and please let us know what you find).

@A4Owner - In general, there have been very few issues reported with air suspensions on 5th gens thus far. My 2019 (built 8/18) has been problem-free. But I'm nowhere near Canada most of the time :)

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't had any issues whatsoever and I live at 7,000 Feet elevation and the truck has been through 2 winters as cold as -15 F. Absolutely happy with the air suspension.

APmech

Reaction score
I guess I'm just that lucky to have it happen twice, on the only 2 air suspended vehicles I ever bought, lol. My A/C is another issue altogether....

Rump2022

Reaction score
Hi just wondering if any of you newer owners in Canada have experienced air suspension issues as yet? I know this is way early on...but anyone at all?
Just bought a 2022 Limited, has only 1800 km on it and already having problems with the air suspension. Loses all the air within 2 hours of sitting, goes right flat. When I start the truck the suspension returns to normal. I had a 2015 Laramee Longhorn and had to change the suspension to springs. Guess I didn't learn my lesson. Sales person assured me that Ram did modifications to fix the issue. Now I'm kicking myself for buying another Ram. I live in Manitoba.

Sportznut

Reaction score
2019 with air suspension. 50,000 miles. I live near Portland Oregon. No problems with it so far. Knock on wood. The real benefit to air suspension is towing.

I had a 2014 with standard coil suspension. It rode really nice as well. Especially after I had the Bilstein 5100's installed.
If you don't tow, the standard suspension is the way I would go. Gives you more flexibility for tires and wheels.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just bought a 2022 Limited, has only 1800 km on it and already having problems with the air suspension. Loses all the air within 2 hours of sitting, goes right flat. When I start the truck the suspension returns to normal. I had a 2015 Laramee Longhorn and had to change the suspension to springs. Guess I didn't learn my lesson. Sales person assured me that Ram did modifications to fix the issue. Now I'm kicking myself for buying another Ram. I live in Manitoba.
ram says its a revise or a new design system but the fact is, we dont know whats has been change, everything seems the same except maybe the valve block part of the compressor

some.say its a mew seal system, but the fact is, it was also a seal system on the 4th gen... so that has not change

my guess is its only the valve block that has been change, and to be honnest that newer valve block is also available as a replacement for the 4th gen, i did not had any luck with it on my 2014, change the valve block many times and everytime the valve bloack assembly and compressor had a different part number and the system keep failing,
once you get moisture in the system, your in for some.trouble but maybe now they found a way to remove that moisture.

good luck

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The System is hermetically sealed now. They used to have a problem with water getting in the system and
freezing up when it was an open system. Either a Valve is bad ( ie: leaking back) to the resevoir or it is not sealed
from the atmosphere.

Malodave

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The System is hermetically sealed now. They used to have a problem with water getting in the system and
freezing up when it was an open system. Either a Valve is bad ( ie: leaking back) to the resevoir or it is not sealed
from the atmosphere.

Malodave
i was never a open system, i was also a seal system in the 4th gen, i know for a fact, i had so many problems and i went in the garage looking at it on the lift so.many times

it was using the same.2.tanks design to transfert nitrogen from one tank to the other

and back then the problem was.with the valve block assembly, they redesign it a couple.of times over the years during 4th gen

Rump2022

Reaction score
On my 2015 the compressor was changed out, lasted a week and was back to failing. Cost me $1600 for the new compressor, then $2000 to change to springs. At least I have warranty plus extended warranty on my 2022. It’s just disheartening to have 1800 km on the truck and the suspension is already failing. Of course once you buy the truck and drive it off the lot you’re stuck with it. Canada doesn’t have a lemon law, already checked into what legal rights I have. Even tried to get the dealership to trade it off for identical truck but with springs. They wanted $14000 to do that. Gauthier Chrysler can kiss my ………..you know what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/