5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 3rd brake light question

Dr. K

Reaction score
Hello,
First official post. Purchased 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 2 weeks ago and already started with mods. Just installed a light bar that has its own 3rd brake light. Need to find power for it so first thought was OEM brake light. However, 2021 has new LED ; very difficult to remove the OEM since it now has clips top and bottom (4). Finally figured it out but now the LED has 4 wires to it and not sure which is hot lead for brake light. Wires look the same. Anyone have experience with this yet or suggestions? Or should I just make a long run back to tail light which I still think has bulbs.
Thanks for any help.
Ken

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome. Tail lights on a Rebel are LED, so no bulbs back there either (but I think the plugs are the same between regular bulb & LED tail lights). I would think one of those wires up there should work, but you'd have to test it with a voltmeter. If you can't figure out which wire to use at the 3rd brake light, you could always tap the trailer plug wiring. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a better idea.

Dr. K

Reaction score
Welcome. Tail lights on a Rebel are LED, so no bulbs back there either (but I think the plugs are the same between regular bulb & LED tail lights). I would think one of those wires up there should work, but you'd have to test it with a voltmeter. If you can't figure out which wire to use at the 3rd brake light, you could always tap the trailer plug wiring. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a better idea.
Is there a way to test the wires without stripping a piece away?

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there a way to test the wires without stripping a piece away?
You can stick the VM lead into the back of the plug and test for 12V. Maybe someone's got the wiring diagram or pin layout for the plug.

Dr. K

Reaction score
Thanks again; forgot about separating the connector and using pins! I was actually quite nervous removing that light and figuring it out I just put it right back. Now I hope I didn’t create the infamous leak problem.

ill send pics when I get it done; really should do a video when I take it apart again.

Users who are viewing this thread