5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 1500 UCA ball joint...wtf?

Kordyte

Reaction score
This morning I began to tackle front Bilstein 5100 install for my 2021 Ram 1500 non-ORP Laramie. Separating the UCA ball joint from the steering knuckle was a nightmare. I've watched numerous youtube videos of 5100 installs on 2019+ rams and they all show a few taps on the steering knuckle with a mini sledge and the joint pops loose. Not mine...I beat the absolute !@#$ out of the steering knuckle and the nut that goes onto the stud of the UCA and it would not budge. Tried heat with a torch, all kinds of leverage with no luck. The UCA boot and frame looked like it was carpet bombed. As a last resort I ran to AutoZone and got one of those ball joint separator tools with the fork on top and the large bolt that cinches up for leverage. Only problem is the UCA stud was too long for the tool to fit under the bottom of the stud. I had to cut the stud with the dremel so the tool could fit over it. After 3+ hours of beating and cussing the joint finally popped out. Luckily I had purchased the UCAs from the Mopar 2" lift kit as insurance or my truck would still be up on jacks. I've only done the passenger side and will do the drivers side tomorrow. I'm praying the other joint isn't as difficult but I'm expecting the worst. Anyone else have this much trouble with the ball joint???

Essbaum

Reaction score
Yes, but I stayed away from the uca because I didn't have replacement. ended up using a 3 jaw puller with only 2 jaws attached so they would be at an offset. There was very little room under the stud but we finally got it. It was a huge pain in the ***. If I touch this again I will be replacing the uca.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's hit and miss. Sometimes they are on there pretty good. How many miles you've got on the vehicle can also impact it. I leveled my 2019 within 1500 miles of buying it and mine separated with ease.

Kordyte

Reaction score
It's hit and miss. Sometimes they are on there pretty good. How many miles you've got on the vehicle can also impact it. I leveled my 2019 within 1500 miles of buying it and mine separated with ease.
You are lucky sir! Mine is a 2021 with only 3500 miles of mostly pavement. Hasn't even seen a winter yet. It was crazy how tight those ball joints were.

The drivers side ended up being just as tight as the passenger side, but I knew what to do after the initial struggle...straight to cutting the stud and slipping the tool over it. Only way it was coming out.

GrizEagle

Reaction score
You are lucky sir! Mine is a 2021 with only 3500 miles of mostly pavement. Hasn't even seen a winter yet. It was crazy how tight those ball joints were.

The drivers side ended up being just as tight as the passenger side, but I knew what to do after the initial struggle...straight to cutting the stud and slipping the tool over it. Only way it was coming out.
Man, I am stuck in the same situation... I'm at a loss for what to do. Can you explain more about what tool you used and how to do it? Thanks for the info. This should have been a quick project....

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Best way I found was using 2 5# sledge hammers and hit the knuckle from both sides at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread