5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 1500 Laramie Transmission question

VonOtto3

Reaction score
Hello all new to the forum & in owning a Ram. Bought mine new last year but now I'm starting to notice when I come to a stop or when I take off from a stop that my transmission seems to almost jerk or pauses just slightly before it engages. Does anyone else have this issue or is this a normal thing? Thanks in advance.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
do you have the etorque, wondering if that is what you are feeling. Mine does and most of times is very smooth but sometimes a little rough

bpwj76

Reaction score
do you have the etorque, wondering if that is what you are feeling. Mine does and most of times is very smooth but sometimes a little rough
Second that. Sometimes the engine shuts down and I barely notice it. Then other times I swear I got bumped by the car behind me, lol! I haven't figured out if there's a set of conditions met to cause either scenario.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Second that. Sometimes the engine shuts down and I barely notice it. Then other times I swear I got bumped by the car behind me, lol! I haven't figured out if there's a set of conditions met to cause either scenario.
I noticed the bump from behind feeling on mine only comes when I have the a.c. on and not all the time. I think its probably because it needs to keep the engine going to keep the a.c. and temperature working, but I could be wrong

VonOtto3

Reaction score
I do not have the eTorque option on mine. It almost feels like when I let off the brake pedal to hit the gas that the brakes are almost sticking but it does it sometimes after I hit the gas.

Louhound88

Reaction score
I do not have the eTorque option on mine. It almost feels like when I let off the brake pedal to hit the gas that the brakes are almost sticking but it does it sometimes after I hit the gas.
I've felt this too, and it almost feels like the "hill start" feeling. Where the truck will hold the truck still long enough for you to move your foot the gas pedal.

If i'm stopped on a hill it's very obvious that the brakes are being held by the truck itself when I lift my foot to hit the accelerator. But sometimes when driving I feel it happen very slightly. Like coasting to a red light that turns green before i fully stop. It's like the truck is assisting me with brakes, then I hit the gas to take off and it hesitates to "release" the brake.

I think it has to do with the resistance the truck feels and thinking you're on a hill or trying to take off from an incline.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I've felt this too, and it almost feels like the "hill start" feeling. Where the truck will hold the truck still long enough for you to move your foot the gas pedal.

If i'm stopped on a hill it's very obvious that the brakes are being held by the truck itself when I lift my foot to hit the accelerator. But sometimes when driving I feel it happen very slightly. Like coasting to a red light that turns green before i fully stop. It's like the truck is assisting me with brakes, then I hit the gas to take off and it hesitates to "release" the brake.

I think it has to do with the resistance the truck feels and thinking you're on a hill or trying to take off from an incline.

Its the transmission or the TCM to be exact. You're not coming to a complete stop and the trans is staying in 2nd. When you start accelerating, the TCM (trans computer) looks at TPS and realizes its in the wrong gear and downshifts to 1st gear, you then get the jolt.

Enable the "current gear" setting in Uconnect and you can watch the trans stay in 2nd gear then downshift to 1st as you accelerate

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know this TSB is specific to the TRX, but I'm becoming increasingly convinced that it's an issue on the peasant versions of the 1500 as well. There are just too many threads that cite the exact symptoms that are being addressed on this well-known-and-documented TRX issue.

1662665868627.png

BowDown

Reaction score
I know this TSB is specific to the TRX, but I'm becoming increasingly convinced that it's an issue on the peasant versions of the 1500 as well. There are just too many threads that cite the exact symptoms that are being addressed on this well-known-and-documented TRX issue.

View attachment 138759

It is, I've done mine once and it seems time to do it again. Last time lasted about 22K miles but that's different from what I think they are describing. I familiar with both motions and can re-create the 2nd to 1st gear motion at any stop sign. The driveshaft is a bit more random depending upon where the drive stops (its orientation) and how much grease is left in that spot

MarkD

Reaction score
I SUFFERED with the crappy shifting of my '20 from 18k (when I bought it) until now (29k). Long story short I had the same issue as the OP and many more shifting issues. The thing felt like a 15 year old learning how to drive a stick shift. After 3 trips into the dealer. Two of them, it was reflashed, with the second reflash at 23k... The tech said to drive it longer than the morning trips with the kids to school. I realized that I needed to accelerate thru the shift for faster shifting. ...and when it comes to remedying the OP's problem. I have realized that the latest flash will allow the truck to only shift down to 2nd gear when I come to a stop sign and NOT come to a complete stop for about three seconds or more. If I stop for 3 seconds or longer, it shifts down to 1st and it doesn't have great shift points accelerating from there. This after about 4k miles of driving after the last flash. The thunk down to first gear is now gone too.

Although I am still not crazy about the "revving up" this thing does into a shift and then backs off of the power at the shift point. It makes merging sometimes harrowing to say the least!

BowDown

Reaction score
Follow up:
Pulled my driveshaft today to regrease it

20221001_130215.jpg

This is how it came out.
It appears to me the the grease simply gets used up and vaporized as there was very minimal grease left on it when I removed it, female side looked the same.
There's no grease in the plastic accordion dust boot nor any running down the driveshaft, its just gone.
Below is same way I greased it 25K miles ago

20221001_130716.jpg

Now re-greased and ready for reassembly.
About to run some errands and will check it but I am 1000% confident that it will butter smooth again just like last time.
Took about 5 min to remove and 20 min all together. Toughest part is compressing the two halves together with that grease, aligned/phased the 2 shaft halves, put a new clamp on and done.

Users who are viewing this thread