5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 1500 bighorn cannot fill gas tank

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sure I had the nozzle in far enough to reach second flapper, as it initally took 8 gallons. As I said in original post I was expecting it to take about 20 gallons. In an attempt to try to fill I probably did back the nozzle out and tried adding more fuel if there is a second flapper I may not have been in far enough to open the second flapper .
Maybe I created the problem,and/or there is no problem It is scheduled to go to the dealer on Friday.

I have the truck since May 2021 and have added gas many times with no problems. Maybe on this filling I just has a senior moment??
I'll keep updated on what the dealer has to say
This is how things went with my truck. It suddenly wouldn't fill and no tricks or different pumps or speeding or slowing the filling would change that.

After a lot of BS the dealer ordered me a new tank. The order got canceled by Stellantis & when the dealer asked why the order got cancelled the response was that they had redesigned the tank internals and that they would ship the newly redesigned tank and no longer were shipping the old one. Since it was replaced almost 3 years ago I have had no issues.

rbiebr

Reaction score
Had truck at dealer today. They claim the ESIM was defective and replaced it. They added fuel 3 different times as part of the troube shooting process. They tried putting in gas and could only get 3 gals. before it shut off. They changed the ESIM and then were able to fill the tank. I'm not confident that the problem is solved, time will tell. Stay tuned

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I had no clue what an ESIM was, so I looked it up. Evaporative System Integrity Module.​

How the ESIM works​

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) uses the ESIM in several conditions.

On a running vehicle, the EVAP system is pressurized due to natural vapor pressure. If the EVAP system is sealed, the pressure overcomes the weight in the ESIM and the ESIM switch moves to the closed position. When the switch closes, the PCM recognizes that the system is sealed and then passes the test.

Second, when the engine is shut off after running at operating temperature, the PCM performs a small leak test. As the engine cools, the EVAP system builds vacuum. The vacuum overcomes the weight in the ESIM and causes the switch to move to the closed position. In this condition, the PCM also recognizes that the system is sealed and passes the test.

If the PCM doesn't recognize the voltage change from the switch at the appropriate conditions, it will set one of several Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).

rbiebr

Reaction score

I had no clue what an ESIM was, so I looked it up. Evaporative System Integrity Module.​

How the ESIM works​

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) uses the ESIM in several conditions.

On a running vehicle, the EVAP system is pressurized due to natural vapor pressure. If the EVAP system is sealed, the pressure overcomes the weight in the ESIM and the ESIM switch moves to the closed position. When the switch closes, the PCM recognizes that the system is sealed and then passes the test.

Second, when the engine is shut off after running at operating temperature, the PCM performs a small leak test. As the engine cools, the EVAP system builds vacuum. The vacuum overcomes the weight in the ESIM and causes the switch to move to the closed position. In this condition, the PCM also recognizes that the system is sealed and passes the test.

If the PCM doesn't recognize the voltage change from the switch at the appropriate conditions, it will set one of several Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).
I also had to look it up. I'm thinking that if the ESIM were defective and not working properly that it would have created a fault code and I should have a check engine light, which I did not have.

TRIBUTE100

Reaction score
This just happened to me on my 2021 Ram 1500 DT Big Horn eTorque 5.7L with about 8,500 miles.
Got back from a camping trip at Cades Cove in the GSMNP about 3 weeks ago. I thought I had taken the truck down to fill up the gas tank after I got back, and had not driven the truck since then.
Getting ready to go on another camping trip about 100 miles from home tomorrow. I check my gas gauge and it was showing 1/4 tank, which surprised me, so I drove down to the gas station where I usually go to fill up. Put the nozzle in and set it to the first click on the handle. The nozzle shut off almost immediately, so I slightly pulled it out and manually pulled the trigger. It immediately overflowed ! I thought, well I did fill it up a couple weeks ago. Gas gauge still showed 1/4 tank, so I thought the fuel gauge was acting up. I read many posts on this site and decided I had a fuel gauge problem.
So this morning I drove the truck around thinking I had a full tank then went to another gas station to top it off and make sure there wasn't an evaporator system problem. Inserted the nozzle fully and manually pulled the trigger very lightly. I pumped over 18 gallons. much to my surprise, with the gauge pegged at the full mark. I then realized yesterday I had pulled the nozzle out too far and the second flapper had closed off causing the overflow. Thankfully my fuel gauge is working correctly and I'm thankful I made sure I had a full tank or I would have run out of gas tomorrow towing a 34 foot TT on some rural roads.

rbiebr

Reaction score
This just happened to me on my 2021 Ram 1500 DT Big Horn eTorque 5.7L with about 8,500 miles.
Got back from a camping trip at Cades Cove in the GSMNP about 3 weeks ago. I thought I had taken the truck down to fill up the gas tank after I got back, and had not driven the truck since then.
Getting ready to go on another camping trip about 100 miles from home tomorrow. I check my gas gauge and it was showing 1/4 tank, which surprised me, so I drove down to the gas station where I usually go to fill up. Put the nozzle in and set it to the first click on the handle. The nozzle shut off almost immediately, so I slightly pulled it out and manually pulled the trigger. It immediately overflowed ! I thought, well I did fill it up a couple weeks ago. Gas gauge still showed 1/4 tank, so I thought the fuel gauge was acting up. I read many posts on this site and decided I had a fuel gauge problem.
So this morning I drove the truck around thinking I had a full tank then went to another gas station to top it off and make sure there wasn't an evaporator system problem. Inserted the nozzle fully and manually pulled the trigger very lightly. I pumped over 18 gallons. much to my surprise, with the gauge pegged at the full mark. I then realized yesterday I had pulled the nozzle out too far and the second flapper had closed off causing the overflow. Thankfully my fuel gauge is working correctly and I'm thankful I made sure I had a full tank or I would have run out of gas tomorrow towing a 34 foot TT on some rural roads.
just curious was there gas in the fill neck when you filled the tank this last time. with the second flapper closed and the overflow of gas did some gas remain in the fill neck?

TRIBUTE100

Reaction score
just curious was there gas in the fill neck when you filled the tank this last time. with the second flapper closed and the overflow of gas did some gas remain in the fill neck?
I don't think there was any gas in the fill neck. My technique now is to fully insert the nozzle, manually lightly squeeze the trigger until fuel is flowing, then put the trigger on the first notch. Using this method and not putting any more in the tank once it clicks off, the fuel gauge shows it's completely filled.

Users who are viewing this thread