5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 1500 5.7 coolant temp went nuts

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have been watching my temps the last couple of days, and I haven't seen the numbers you are experiencing. Granted, it has been cool out this week, highs in the 50's and 60's. My coolant readout has not gone above 206, either in town or on the highway. Like yours, it does warm up to around 140-150 fairly quickly, but takes it's time between there and 200. Oil temp rises a little slower than coolant, and trans even more slowly. Disclaimer, I have the Pulsar installed, set to Perf/no MDS, and I don't know if that has any effect.

It's good that are noticing anything out of the ordinary regarding temp swings, though the highest temps you are seeing aren't abnormal. I would definitely agree with having the dealer take a look at it since it is still under warranty. Even if they tell you they can't find any problems, you have it on record in case something should happen later.

Gravel Roads

Reaction score
I have been watching my temps the last couple of days, and I haven't seen the numbers you are experiencing. Granted, it has been cool out this week, highs in the 50's and 60's. My coolant readout has not gone above 206, either in town or on the highway. Like yours, it does warm up to around 140-150 fairly quickly, but takes it's time between there and 200. Oil temp rises a little slower than coolant, and trans even more slowly. Disclaimer, I have the Pulsar installed, set to Perf/no MDS, and I don't know if that has any effect.

It's good that are noticing anything out of the ordinary regarding temp swings, though the highest temps you are seeing aren't abnormal. I would definitely agree with having the dealer take a look at it since it is still under warranty. Even if they tell you they can't find any problems, you have it on record in case something should happen later.
Thank you for the information HemiDude. I will keep this post updated as I find out more.

007longbeach

Reaction score
Things sure are different from back when you would panic if your coolant temp hit 220, but these newer engines seem to be designed to run a bit hotter, and I'm guessing it's only about EPA b.s. Our 2015 has some large temp swings, and it's got 200k miles on it, so I put a 180 thermostat in it just to see. Not entirely sure where the temp sender is, but it certainly acts like it's way before the thermostat and so peaks higher than you would expect with the 180 degree thermostat, maybe an engineered lack of flow. Wife's 2023 eTorque, which lost the small water pump belt at 13k (originally I thought it only had 10k when it happened), got really hot, so now when I drive it, I literally stare at the electronic temp readings. Tonight it's in the 40s and we went for a drive to look at Christmas lights, and while idling around it hit 224! I checked the overflow as I didn't want to open the pressure cap, and there was coolant in it, and not too high, so I guess it was a normal event? IDK, seems really stupid to me to run coolant temperatures that high, but I'm guessing an engineer somewhere figured it was okay to NOT flow the coolant in an attempt to save on engine drag and therefore save a tiny amount of fuel. Give the chance to buy the 2023 again, I'd pass on it and find a low mileage 3rd Gen or older. LOL

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Things sure are different from back when you would panic if your coolant temp hit 220, but these newer engines seem to be designed to run a bit hotter, and I'm guessing it's only about EPA b.s. Our 2015 has some large temp swings, and it's got 200k miles on it, so I put a 180 thermostat in it just to see. Not entirely sure where the temp sender is, but it certainly acts like it's way before the thermostat and so peaks higher than you would expect with the 180 degree thermostat, maybe an engineered lack of flow. Wife's 2023 eTorque, which lost the small water pump belt at 13k (originally I thought it only had 10k when it happened), got really hot, so now when I drive it, I literally stare at the electronic temp readings. Tonight it's in the 40s and we went for a drive to look at Christmas lights, and while idling around it hit 224! I checked the overflow as I didn't want to open the pressure cap, and there was coolant in it, and not too high, so I guess it was a normal event? IDK, seems really stupid to me to run coolant temperatures that high, but I'm guessing an engineer somewhere figured it was okay to NOT flow the coolant in an attempt to save on engine drag and therefore save a tiny amount of fuel. Give the chance to buy the 2023 again, I'd pass on it and find a low mileage 3rd Gen or older. LOL

The factory thermostat is 203F or so. I think if you install a 180F thermostat, the truck will try to adjust the other cooling elements to raise the temp unless you program those metric in the ECU.

I believe the electric fan turns on at around 220F, which is a temp I have seen personally at a long hot idle during a long slow trail off-roading. Typically, you should see 224 or below while moving slowly. The coolant warning doesn't come on until about 245F!

Last edited:

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Id be concerned about the stinky coolant if indeed it is abnormal. Feel like i might be opening a can of worms as there are so many opinions about coolant color, but unless it has been messed with, it should be purple OAT mopar coolant, often changing to pink after being in the vehicle for a while.
Even half competent service guys should recognize this being correct or not, or if the smell is normal or not.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The factory thermostat is 194F or so. I think if you install a 180F thermostat, the truck will try to adjust the other cooling elements to raise the temp unless you program those metric in the ECU.

I believe the electric fan turns on at around 230F, which is a temp I have seen personally at a long hot idle during a long slow trail off-roading. Typically, you should see 224 or below while moving slowly. The coolant warning doesn't come on until about 245F!
Factory thermostats are 203, not 194. Electric fans aren't programmed to come on until 220 degrees.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Id be concerned about the stinky coolant if indeed it is abnormal. Feel like i might be opening a can of worms as there are so many opinions about coolant color, but unless it has been messed with, it should be purple OAT mopar coolant, often changing to pink after being in the vehicle for a while.
Even half competent service guys should recognize this being correct or not, or if the smell is normal or not.
Mine was pink from the factory. And the new jug of Mopar coolant I bought as also pink.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The water pump is always turning and moving coolant. The thermostat being open or closed doesn't prevent coolant from flowing. There is a bypass hose and heter hoses/heater core that have coolant flowing constantly while engine is running. So has nothing to do with engine drag.

scott511

Reaction score
Not trying to derail this thread, but I purchased a 2020 Bighorn/Lonestar 5.7 a few months ago; quick question:
Does anyone know why someone would write "-250" with a sharpie on the coolant dipstick cap?

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine was pink from the factory. And the new jug of Mopar coolant I bought as also pink.
IMG_3091.jpeg

So long as it's not orange I think it's good. Not doubting you just sharing what the alternative is. The orange was for the 4th gens iirc.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 68163849AB (50/50 premix) that meets the MS.90032 is orange...

Cooling System *Engine: 18.3 Quarts / 17.3 LitersWe recommend you use Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant 10 Year/150,000 Mile Formula OAT (Organic Additive Technology) or equivalent meeting the requirements of Material Standard MS.90032.68163848AB68163848GB

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 68163849AB (50/50 premix) that meets the MS.90032 is orange...

Cooling System *Engine: 18.3 Quarts / 17.3 LitersWe recommend you use Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant 10 Year/150,000 Mile Formula OAT (Organic Additive Technology) or equivalent meeting the requirements of Material Standard MS.90032.68163848AB68163848GB
That's interesting..Did some more research and online seems to point to all rams since 2013 called for the purple. The purple turns a reddish hue after running for several thousand miles.

Users who are viewing this thread