5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Won't start

rxit

Reaction score
I have a 2020 5.7L that won't start in my garage. It has almost a full tank of gas. The engine cranks for about 20 or 30 seconds after I push the start button but the engine will not fire up.

I plugged an OBD2 port scanner in and can find no trouble codes.

I started pulling some fuses to see if something blew but can't find anything so far.

Anyone have any ideas , aside from calling for a tow?

rxit

Reaction score
I saw a video that someone put new mats in and the drivers side mat went over the gas pedal and floored it. It won't start if the gas pedal is to the floor. Just something to check.

Well my face is red and my wife is laughing out loud at me. I had the floor mat out to clean it and didn't notice that I put it back in on top of the gas pedal. It wasn't floored, but was enough pressure to apparently keep it from starting.

Thank you for this. I did look and didn't see the video. At least I know how to get to my fuses now.

At least I didn't call the tow truck yet. Man I feel dumb.

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw a video that someone put new mats in and the drivers side mat went over the gas pedal and floored it. It won't start if the gas pedal is to the floor. Just something to check.

Thank you, Czcon12! I wasn't aware of that fact about floor mats, (y)

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always step on the accelerater after changing the oil to get the oil to circulate prior to starting engine.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Skud

Reaction score
FYI - this is the "flood clear" mode. If you floor the pedal (or close to it) it will shut off the injectors.

IMO, these are the best kinds of problems.. Simple, easily fixed, and a good source of information.. (y)

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting.....who knew? Glad it was you not me...my wife would have never stopped laughing.

Last edited:

Extole

Reaction score
HAHAhah, okay im sorry.. I had to laugh tho! Totally something that would have taken me a life time to figure out if it happened to me tis why its funny, Checking the floor mat over the gas pedal would have been the very last thing i would have thought check after replacing all spark plugs, fuel injector, ecm and god knows what else.

Apexcars

Reaction score
I always step on the accelerater after changing the oil to get the oil to circulate prior to starting engine.

How does this work on our engines. If the truck is not running how does stepping on the gas do anything to the oil? Not disagreeing, just trying to understand.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How does this work on our engines. If the truck is not running how does stepping on the gas do anything to the oil? Not disagreeing, just trying to understand.
Flooring the accelerator and engaging the starter will spin the motor and build up oil pressure with out actually starting the engine.

Apexcars

Reaction score
OK, so putting into flood clear mode. I was thinking he meant just pressing the gas and then letting do before starting the engine. I don't pre spin it but I can see the thought process.

mahewd

Reaction score
It can happen because of-
  • lack of fuel flow
  • battery problem
  • spark problem
  • low compression
  • power supply problem
  • problem with the security system
If you want to know them in detail, check the blog about car cranks but won't start.

Xcspsledder344

Reaction score
Yup, just happened to me. Thank you Czcon12 and this forum!

Users who are viewing this thread