5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Window Sticker (Laramie Longhorn) That I Tripped Across

brewdad

Reaction score
Did not see all terrain tires listed on off road package.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
The tonneau works on this particular truck because of the RAM boxes. With the RAM boxes, you don't have the MFT braces at the front of the bed, because either the boxes provide the lateral stiffness, or they are hidden inside the boxes. My truck has the MFT (no RAM boxes), and the only way to get the MOPAR hard trifold to fit was by removing the braces because it has two rails that sit on top and are blocked by the MFT braces. Currently, I'm using a GATOR hybrid folding cover because it truly does sit on top of the bed with no rails and the front clamps are far enough back to work with the MFT braces.

What is an MFT brace?

LouCap

Reaction score
What is an MFT brace?
If you have a 1500 with the multifunction tailgate and NO RAM boxes there are two triangular braces at the top front of the bed. We think they are there to add lateral support for the tailgate when opened horizontally. This is why no cover with rails will work. A07F3FC3-BF14-4436-91E5-2B2383E8D9B1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

DavidNJ

Reaction score
If you have a 1500 with the multifunction tailgate and NO RAM boxes there are two triangular braces at the top front of the bed. We think they are there to add lateral support for the tailgate when opened horizontally. This is why no cover with rails will work.

Wow...maybe that explains why the tailgates shown at the introduction were all RamBoxes. Those aren't shown in the configurator when the MFT is selected without the RamBox. I'm surprised they didn't bury the braces under the top of the bed.

What is the bed cover solution? It sounds like FCA isn't thinking things through in some instances.

LouCap

Reaction score
Wow...maybe that explains why the tailgates shown at the introduction were all RamBoxes. Those aren't shown in the configurator when the MFT is selected without the RamBox. I'm surprised they didn't bury the braces under the top of the bed.

What is the bed cover solution? It sounds like FCA isn't thinking things through in some instances.

In order for a cover to work, it needs to sit on top of the bed, and the front clamps need to be about 1' away from the cab. After looking at a lot of options, I went with the Gator Hybrid tonneau cover. It looks like a softcover but has hard plastic underneath. It fits perfectly with the braces, and so far it's been leakproof!

I thought the Truxedo Sentry CT might work too, but Gator was the only company willing to let me try it first to see if it fit.

Attachments

• Gator Hybrid cover.jpg
    Gator Hybrid cover.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 374

SoCADesertRat

Reaction score
Lou, Thanks again for making my day. Since I am getting the RamBox option my choice of tonneau covers will only be limited by the Ram Boxes, not the forward corner braces for the MFT. A relief and my appreciation for pointing that out.

LouCap

Reaction score
Lou, Thanks again for making my day. Since I am getting the RamBox option my choice of tonneau covers will only be limited by the Ram Boxes, not the forward corner braces for the MFT. A relief and my appreciation for pointing that out.
You're very welcome, glad to help!

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread