5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 vs 2021 Ram 1500

Kstrayer

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked and buried, but I see nothing but generally marketing material to describe the difference between a 2020 and 2021 model. What is the major difference? Will I lose anything going with a 2020? Specifically, does anyone know if the overall curb weights are generally the same (depending on trim and options, of course). Thanks!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Only difference are a few extra options, and packages. Like power folding tow mirrors, 360 degree cameras, cargo camera that displays in rear view mirror.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Only difference are a few extra options, and packages. Like power folding tow mirrors, 360 degree cameras, cargo camera that displays in rear view mirror.
360-degree cameras aren’t new, but the other features are. The Technology package also adds HUD.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

360-degree cameras aren’t new, but the other features are. The Technology package also adds HUD.

SpeedyV is correct. What HSKR may have meant was the 360 degree camera with the tow mirrors. 2019 and 2020 only offered the 360 camera if you did not have the tow mirrors.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Things that catch my eye are the digital rear-view camera and HUD that are new for 2021. They are both part of the Technology Group, which costs about $1100. But to get that you also need to select the Level 2 Equipment Group for $4000, and the Advanced Safety Group for another $1700. So for nearly $6800 you can get those two new features. Doesn't seem worth it to me, but you need to decide that on your own. You can select the power folding tow mirrors as a stand alone option for about $450, which is nice.

Unless those things are high on your must-have list, my advice would be to save some money and get a 2020 if you can find one configured the way you want. You'll see bigger discounts on them than you'll see on 2021 models, so even if you look at a 2021 without the new toys, it will be more expensive than a 2020.

Last edited:

reidcc

Reaction score
Not sure if this matters to you, but I did see a change in the time for Sirius XM as a freebie... the 2020 was one year free, while the 2021 is showing 6 months free.

coolidge

Reaction score
Things that catch my eye are the digital rear-view camera and HUD that are new for 2021. They are both part of the Technology Group, which costs about $1100. But to get that you also need to select the Level 2 Equipment Group for $4000, and the Advanced Safety Group for another $1700. So for nearly $6800 you can get those two new features. Doesn't seem worth it to me, but you need to decide that on your own. You can select the power folding tow mirrors as a stand alone option for about $450, which is nice.

Unless those things are high on your must-have list, my advice would be to save some money and get a 2020 if you can find one configured the way you want. You'll see bigger discounts on them than you'll see on 2021 models, so even if you look at a 2021 without the new toys, it will be more expensive than a 2020.

I have the Tech Group on my 2021 Rebel. For a Rebel the minimum required options are the Level 2 Equip Group $3,000 and the 8.4 display with Nav $795. Since I would have selected both of those options minimum regardless for me the Tech Group was just a $1,095 addon.

Love the HUD and CHMSL. The digital display rear view mirror is truly useless. I will only use it as a last resort if something in the bed is obstructing the regular rear view mirror. For those of us who wear reading glasses the digital display rear view mirror will appear fuzzy and blurry. The regular mirror mode is crisp and in focus.

Plus...while I'm ragging on this digital display rear view mirror...the glass is so reflective you get two different views at different focal lengths. The digital image overlapped with the reflection coming off the glass. It's like looking at two images in different zoom modes. Honestly I wanted to bash the thing off the windshield and chuck it out the window just on the drive home from the dealer it was that annoying. Thank Christ you can flip the lever to the regular old school rear view mirror mode.

coolidge

Reaction score
Not sure if this matters to you, but I did see a change in the time for Sirius XM as a freebie... the 2020 was one year free, while the 2021 is showing 6 months free.

Confirmed it's only 180 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online