5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Uconnect Old Technology!

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can't say I've seen anyone mention anything about lemon law because the uconnect doesn't do everything it could possibly be capable of
It was meant as a humorous exaggeration of what someone might do if it was in the realm of reality, which it is not. It was @Rototerrier that mentioned applying lemon law to an Audi that had a Google earth issue, although the post did not clarify if that was the cause of the lemon law application.

Either way, being underwhelmed/defrauded by a new vehicle is a strong emotion, although hard to understand in this case since these trucks do deliver as promised and lead the industry in so many ways. IMHO of course.

Sushiyummy

Reaction score
WHOA!! Hey, I almost let this one slip by. I just took my A-11 Pixel 3A out to the 19 Ram and it will connect AA through bluetooth but I can't get Google maps to display on the screen just the sound. Any chance you could recall the source of the article? Google seems to be failing me in this search.

The limited amount of music I tried seemed to play OK, though.

UPDATE: Took a while but I think this is it.
Is the map work now?

theonlyMcG

Reaction score
So either you don't understand product development cycles or you have unrealistic expectations. This 12" UConnect system debuted with the 5th Gen ram for the 2019 Model year which production started sometime summer 2018. Software Freeze was probably late spring to make sure everything was loaded into the manufacturing lines correctly without having to rework the units with software updates before they shipped to dealers. I don't work for RAM or Chrysler but I have done very similar projects in industry. I bet the latest they started development on the 12" would have been early 2016. So at that point AVRCP would have still been at maybe 1.4, and profile support is generally decided at the chip level which is Tier 2 at best to Ram and more likely Tier 3 as far as suppliers go. Auto manufacturers generally and especially with electronics are risk averse so if 1.4 had just been released it probably wasn't supported on the bluetooth chip built into the motherboard of the head unit (maybe it was firmware upgradeable but since that support is so far away from the OEM I bet it never got pushed all the way down as a feature request.)

Even in 2018 when 5th Gen is released they have the UConnect 5 system roadmapped and probably even mostly specced out with little room in the schedule for added feature requests and that is where the backwards compatibility issue usually crops up because most manufacturers move onto the next thing because it doesn't make sense financially to keep upgrading what is internally the old system. They will do big issues fixes and safety fixes but they are not going to sink a bunch of money into customers who have already paid for the trucks. The financial justification goes into spending more money on UConnect 5 because the justification comes from the sales volumes and incremental sales increases of new captured customers from getting UC5 out the door (along with whatever other features they keep adding to the trucks).

Specifically on FLAC and loseless, I get that it sounds good to you and is probably what your music is already converted/stored in, but how many people even know what FLAC is that are buying these trucks. It's additional time and money to program and test compatibility for every additional feature. If it only effects 2-3% of the population of truck buyers it's not worth it to them.

How many cars on the road in general support loseless audio formats from the stock audio?

On the Android Auto/GPS issue, that might be an Android Auto specific compatibility issue and not a UConnect issue. Android Auto isn't the most stable app/platform to begin with.

I get the frustrations, as an electrical engineer I am a pretty tech savvy user but I am also realistic about what I am buying. Maybe some of these things are fixed by UC5. Documentation never goes back and gets updated unless it is a major new release. Unfortunately that job always falls to customer support.

Users who are viewing this thread