5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 rebel steering

Fireax234

Reaction score
I just drove home my new 2020 Rebel and noticed that on the highway it sways side to side and it’s hard to stay in the lane is this normal? I had a 2014 Sport and it never felt that way.
thanks

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There’s a little bit of float but it’s hard to say whether what you’re experiencing is in the normal range. Best thing to do would be to go test drive another Rebel. Many members here have swapped the rear sway bar for a Hellwig which greatly improves handling and gives you a more planted feel, especially in the turns. It’s an easy and relatively inexpensive mod. The rebate below can help pay for it (y) Let us know how things turn out.

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Do it within 60 days of purchase.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle or that you traded in a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

DesertRebel

Reaction score
I just drove home my new 2020 Rebel and noticed that on the highway it sways side to side and it’s hard to stay in the lane is this normal? I had a 2014 Sport and it never felt that way.
thanks
When you're used to a two wheel drive truck, the 4x4 seems a little floaty... I considered a Jeep Rubicon, but couldnt stand the street handling.

The Rebel is very tame in this respect. Drives way more like a car than a truck. but again, if you're comparing it to two-wheel drive it may seem slightly off.

I came out of three F-150s over the past 12.5 years - all two-wheel drive... the Rebel feels/steers nice.

I suggest driving another Rebel to see if the issue you experienced was vehicle specific or just inherent of the truck in general.

My Rebel drives much better than the the other 4x4s I test drove (F-150, Tundra, Jeep rubicon).

Fireax234

Reaction score
When you're used to a two wheel drive truck, the 4x4 seems a little floaty... I considered a Jeep Rubicon, but couldnt stand the street handling.

The Rebel is very tame in this respect. Drives way more like a car than a truck. but again, if you're comparing it to two-wheel drive it may seem slightly off.

I came out of three F-150s over the past 12.5 years - all two-wheel drive... the Rebel feels/steers nice.

I suggest driving another Rebel to see if the issue you experienced was vehicle specific or just inherent of the truck in general.

My Rebel drives much better than the the other 4x4s I test drove (F-150, Tundra, Jeep rubicon).
Thanks this is my 3rd Ram none of them felt like this...thinking it’s the lane safety’s feature pulling me off the line

Goody

Reaction score
It might just be a wider tire trying to follow the ruts in the road which does happen. I deal with it from time to time in my Corvette as well.

Kooch80

Reaction score
Check your tire pressure too. Mine were overinflated from the factory. Once they were aired down it was much better.
This was the same for me. Tires came inflated at about 65 psi, lowered to recommended pressure and truck rides what I consider normal. At 65 psi it felt "floaty" and seemed dangerous

Mitig

Reaction score
thanks

Drove my 2020 Rebel 4x4 back home 200 miles brand new. After getting straight and letting off the wheel after a few seconds it would start to drift one way slowly. Sometimes it would be left, sometimes right, sometimes stay straight for a considerable amount of time, so I assumed it wasn't an alignment issue, just sensitive to road defects or straightness. Doesn't bother/effect me driving normally, was just a long drive back, trying different things with a new truck. Maybe this is the same thing you noticed?

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Guessing tire pressure. Mine was also at 65 psig for shipping and the dealer was too lazy to check it. Felt exactly as you described.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As mentioned, check your tire pressure, easy to check on the info system at the center of your instrument cluster. They are sent to the dealership with high pressure, usually over 60 (mine was 65) to keep them from flat spotting sitting in transit and again at the dealership lot.

They are supposed to adjust them before delivery, but as a few members here mentioned, they don't always. Otherwise, it should be rock solid stable.

mpj2206

Reaction score
My 19 Rebel calls for 55psi in fronts, 45psi for rears.

I would imagine it would have quite a "floaty" feel if a tire rotation was done without adjusting pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread