5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rebel Ecodiesel MPG

briggss3

Reaction score
Been searching around alot on this, nothing specific I can find to this newest Gen of the Ecodiesel. Sticker says 20-28 I think. Wide open highway on cruise control 75mph gets between 18-20. My gauge mpg hovers around 19. I have 3500 miles on this, factory fluids still.

I mean I expect to get some break in time but man. Temps dropped here in Texas as you all likely know and all last week I was lucky to hit 15 mpg. I have never broke 21 on a tank, light on the pedal, cruise control 65-75. City is about 17-18.

Should I be worried?

I am new to Mopar (gmc convert), and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the truck. It's simply bad ***. But I went diesel since I do some towing at times, and I have a 60 mile commute and was expecting high 20s on my mpg.

Dealer was full of crap and told me "it's a lifted Rebel, the EPA sticker isn't accurate and it's normal to get lower mpg on these trucks." service manager....

I call BS. Sticker is for the Rebel and a 1" lift ain't crap.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
Speed definitely kills MPG in these trucks. I normally get 27-28 on the highway cruising at 68-70 MPH. Hills and or wind also have an impact. Combination of city/hwy is right around 23-24 MPG. I have a 4WD Laramie with ORG and 3.92. The Duratracs on the Rebel may also contribute to slightly reduced mileage compared to trucks with All Season or the Falken AT3WAs on the ORG.

I would expect a hit in MPG if driving at 75 MPH, but 18-20 MPG does seem low.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Laramie got 27.4 MPG on a Trip from NH to Newport News, Va. 750 Miles total.
With the 33 Gallon Tank I should have around 900 Miles distance. I blame the Winter
Diesel Mix and a new tight Engine. Had 1500 miles on it before the trip started. I
Have 4300 Miles now.

Malodave

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealer was full of crap and told me "it's a lifted Rebel, the EPA sticker isn't accurate and it's normal to get lower mpg on these trucks." service manager....

Actually in this case...the service manager may be correct.
I don't know if FCA/Stellantis changed their method when they certified the EcoDiesel Rebel, but the 5th gen Hemi Rebel's are notorious for getting well under sticker estimate due to it being for a 3.92 4x4 truck with standard tires. Not the Rebel model specifically which has aggressive off road tires and the 1" factory "lift".

edit: Looking at fueleconomy.gov there are only 2 entries for 4x4 EcoDiesels, and the difference there would be 3.21 vs 3.92 gears. So indeed the rating is for a run of the mill 3.92 4x4 equipped truck and not a Rebel specifically.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is off the website posted above.

MYTH: The EPA fuel economy estimates are a government guarantee on what fuel economy each vehicle will deliver.

FACT: The primary purpose of EPA fuel economy estimates is to provide consumers with a uniform, unbiased way of comparing the relative efficiency of vehicles. Even though the EPA's test procedures are designed to reflect real-world driving conditions, no single test can accurately model all driving styles and environments. Differing fuel blends will also affect fuel economy. The use of gasoline with 10% ethanol can decrease fuel economy by about 3% due to its lower energy density.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
90% of all fuel economy variation depends on the person behind the wheel. That's not a scientific fact but my own anecdotal evidence after beating the "official" fuel estimates on every vehicle I've ever owned, sometimes by double digits. I've owned too many vehicle and driven too many miles (well over a million) and lived too many places for that to just be an accident explained by terrain, vehicle, climate, or regional fuel mixture. Almost everybody I know - from my wife to my friends to my family - drive and treat their vehicles as if they don't care about MPG, which is fine if you don't but you can't drive that way and then sob about poor fuel economy. Jackrabbit starts. Speeding up to red traffic lights. Accelerating to off-ramps only to brake at the bottom. Frequent speed-up/slow downs to swerve in traffic. Underinflated tires. Roof racks. A ton of junk in the vehicle that weighs about another person. AC on with the windows open. ETC.

Funny memory that I have: in the 70's when the second gas "crisis" hit (not the 73 OPEC one) I was still in school. They gave everyone in my class (presumably all the classes) a comic book about conserving energy. This was serious stuff with long gas lines and odd and even days to get gas. I wasn't even old enough to drive yet but hilariously I still remember a lot of those comic pictures. Goofy driving with an egg between his foot and the gas pedal, Donald Duck using the vent windows instead of AC, stuff like that. Funny stuff yet that must have made some impression on how I drove because I've always tried to drive with anticipation - i.e. if I see the light is turning red in 30 seconds I don't keep accelerating - and I know this has been the greatest factor of all in getting good gas mileage.

For the OP: you're driving a heavy brick at 75 MPH. You shouldn't expect to get anywhere near the stated fuel economy. Your highest fuel economy is always going to be the fastest speed relative to the lowest RPMs possible. For most vehicles that's going to be the highest gear at the lowest possible speed for that gear before lugging or forcing a downshift. I don't know what speed that is in the Ram - I've never checked - but in my Titan it was 5th gear at about 45-50 MPH. The energy required to overcome air resistance as you increase speed isn't linear, it is exponential, which is why jets require special fuel and a lot of it (aside from trying to evade gravity).

briggss3

Reaction score
I always tended to get around mid point of my vehicles EPA estimates. I had a 6.2L GMC Sierra that got 21mpg cruising too damn fast at around 100 across the NM desert. Like for like that vehicle communiting as I do this rebel, it is identical mpg. But the Rebel sticker indicates 20-28 and the GMC was 14-20. Both are/were getting ~19 mpg all things equal.

And I am o conscious minded driver. My dash indicates 18-20 MPG on cruise control at 75mph on flat ground at sea level with a tail wind.

I was cruising around town the other day in Paw Paw mode keeping sppeds in the 45 mph range and my mileage jumped to a whopping 22 mpg.

I am sorry, but it's frustrating to hear other folks getting mid to upper 20s on their motors while it's a struggle for me to break 20. And I ain't no lead foot either, very conscious of my driving.

Borsig

Reaction score
Been searching around alot on this, nothing specific I can find to this newest Gen of the Ecodiesel. Sticker says 20-28 I think. Wide open highway on cruise control 75mph gets between 18-20. My gauge mpg hovers around 19. I have 3500 miles on this, factory fluids still.

I mean I expect to get some break in time but man. Temps dropped here in Texas as you all likely know and all last week I was lucky to hit 15 mpg. I have never broke 21 on a tank, light on the pedal, cruise control 65-75. City is about 17-18.

Should I be worried?

I am new to Mopar (gmc convert), and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the truck. It's simply bad ***. But I went diesel since I do some towing at times, and I have a 60 mile commute and was expecting high 20s on my mpg.

High 20's?

A rebel eco-D will never get high 20s. From Fuelly, anecdotal, youtube vids, and posts, I think it actually gets around 23 on the highway. Maybe 24-25 at 50-55 mph?

I've done a lot of research here, and on the Rebel, the ECO-D is simply not worth it, IMO. Maybe on another 4x4 trim with 3.21's, but the Rebel is just incabable from what I have seen, of ever getting FE that makes a diesel worth the cost.

Last edited:

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These guys claim over 40mpg on their 1500 Ram Ecodiesel.

Yeah, they admitted that there was something weird going on though too, if I remember correctly.
I also believe it may have been a preproduction truck too.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have yet to get my Rebel beyond 16 MPG. I should clarify that I am using the MPG off the dash to make my statement and have not hand calculated anything. Unless I get down to 10-12 I just can't worry about it...it's a big truck with bog tires.

briggss3

Reaction score
I have yet to get my Rebel beyond 16 MPG. I should clarify that I am using the MPG off the dash to make my statement and have not hand calculated anything. Unless I get down to 10-12 I just can't worry about it...it's a big truck with bog tires.
Eco diesel?

briggss3

Reaction score
High 20's?

A rebel eco-D will never get high 20s. From Fuelly, anecdotal, youtube vids, and posts, I think it actually gets around 23 on the highway. Maybe 24-25 at 50-55 mph?

I've done a lot of research here, and on the Rebel, the ECO-D is simply not worth it, IMO. Maybe on another 4x4 trim with 3.21's, but the Rebel is just incabable from what I have seen, of ever getting FE that makes a diesel worth the cost.
Thanks. I love the truck. Love the torque. Just trailered my lifted TJ wrangler doing 70 mph and it was not even noticeable behehind me. BTW that trip looked like about 13-14 MPG which is outstanding.

I did not buy it for the mileage, but justified Ram over Chevy Duramax because the truck is 10x the vehicle for near the same price.

Still, sticker is a big lie. I always knew Dodge was thirsty. Just should not have trusted the EPA estimates. BTW, thought they clamped down on false advertising using inflated MPG claims. RAM must not have gotten that memo.

Borsig

Reaction score
Thanks. I love the truck. Love the torque. Just trailered my lifted TJ wrangler doing 70 mph and it was not even noticeable behehind me. BTW that trip looked like about 13-14 MPG which is outstanding.

I did not buy it for the mileage, but justified Ram over Chevy Duramax because the truck is 10x the vehicle for near the same price.

Still, sticker is a big lie. I always knew Dodge was thirsty. Just should not have trusted the EPA estimates. BTW, thought they clamped down on false advertising using inflated MPG claims. RAM must not have gotten that memo.
It's the one thing that offs me about Ram in a big way. Look at how chevy / GMC de rate the trail boss / AT4 vs the Z71 or other 4x4. Then look at the Rebel vs whatever comprable 4x4. They know full well what they are doing, and GM for all their faults, is more honest than Ram on the epa.

Users who are viewing this thread