5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rebel - BDS 4" Lift Upgrade to front shocks

NoOtherHobby

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm about to order the BDS 4" lift but would also like to replace the front OEM shocks with something a bit more capable for regular trips to the offroad parks with my quads on the trailer. Can I replace the front OEM shocks with any shock or coilover that would otherwise work in a factory height rebel (something like the Fox 2.0)?

I understand there are no lifted coilovers at the 4" mark but am curious if it is worth it / possible to upgrade the BDS lift with OEM length upgraded components. I expect this wouldn't provide the same amount of travel as a true lifted coilover but would there be a meaningful improvement in ride quality to make it worthwhile? I have the Bilstein 5100s on there now to level it but would set those back to stock height if the upgrade isn't worth it.

Appreciate the help.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
im in ssme boat i have fox 2.5 coilovers (2-3) dsc and i want. a 4 or 6 inch bds kit but wonder if i need to buy new shocks or just new springs that are longer

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
im in ssme boat i have fox 2.5 coilovers (2-3) dsc and i want. a 4 or 6 inch bds kit but wonder if i need to buy new shocks or just new springs that are longer
You won't be able to get a 4" lift out of the Fox 2.5" without going to a higher lb/in rate spring. The current springs in them are a 450 and if you crank them down anymore than the max to achieve 3" of lift you start getting spring slap. If you went with a 600-650 you could probably net close to 4" but I don't think anyone has tested this yet as that gets into binding range with the CVs.

Hdp_5.7

Reaction score
You won't be able to get a 4" lift out of the Fox 2.5" without going to a higher lb/in rate spring. The current springs in them are a 450 and if you crank them down anymore than the max to achieve 3" of lift you start getting spring slap. If you went with a 600-650 you could probably net close to 4" but I don't think anyone has tested this yet as that gets into binding range with the CVs.
What if you keep the 450 rate but just longer ?

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
so what are the options with out doing a drop kit ? sorry im new to this so doing research

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
so what are the options with out doing a drop kit ? sorry im new to this so doing research
To achieve 4" of lift the best/safest option is a cradle drop style lift. Anything else puts the suspensension geometry at out of spec angles and will cause premature failure of components.

Users who are viewing this thread