5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram Won't Start

blackbelt135

Reaction score
HELP! I have a 2020 Ram Rebel 1500, 5.7L crew cab (non eTorque). It only has 39k miles on it. I've had the truck for a few months, it's been great, until now ... it won't start!

I don't think it's weather related ... it's been in the 30's lately, but now it's dropping into the 20's.

I'm the third owner (original owner was in Canada, then second owner was the dealership in Boston, Mass), and I bought the truck a few months ago so I don't think it's under warranty anymore.

Side note: A week ago I installed a sound system, just a single subwoofer and amplifier. We used a Line Out Converter to bypass the factory amp and subwoofer. The install went smoothly and the sub sounds great. It shouldn't be the issue.

Two days ago I tried to remote start the truck (which I always do), but it didn't start. So I went outside to manually start it. I pushed the brake, then pushed the start button, just a click. I tried again, nothing. All electrical and lights working as usual, and no unusual alerts or anything on the dash. My first thought was my sound system must be drawing power somehow, so I disconnected it. I disconnected all the wires going into the amp, and I even disconnected the power cable to the positive terminal on the battery. The sound system is completely disconnected (other than the LOC to the factory amp). Basically back to factory settings, but the truck still wouldn't start.

The dashboard's battery voltage display said 11.9 volts, so I hooked up some jumper cables. I let it charge to 12.5 volts, tried to start it, nothing - just a click. And when I tried to start it, the voltage dropped from 12.5 down to about 12 volts. So I left it on the jumper cables longer. I charged it to 13.7 volts, tried to start it, nothing - just a click. The battery voltage dropped from 13.7 to 13.2 volts. I tried to start it again, nothing. The voltage dropped to under 13 volts. I tried again, nothing, and the voltage kept dropping. Maybe a damaged cell? Maybe not enough amps? I removed the battery, went to AutoZone to have it tested ... they said the battery was good! However, I still bought a brand new $230 gold battery, put it in the truck, tried to start it, nothing - just a click. Took the new battery out, put the "old" battery back in (I guess I'll return the new battery that didn't help). Terminals are clean, clamps are tight. Truck won't start.

Next I got under the truck, I removed the heat shield over the starter, and then tried tapping the starter with a hammer 10-20 times. Tried to start, nothing - just a click. I then tried to see if the starter had any loose wires/connections, but everything looks ok from what I could see. I hit the starter with a hammer another 10-20 times, this time a little harder (it's a tight spot, you can't hit it too hard) ... tried to start, nothing - just a click.

I also checked the fuse box under the hood. I removed a few fuses that said "starter", but from what I could tell, they all looked ok. Nothing unusual.

After 5 hours of troubleshooting, I went to bed. I woke up this morning, tried to start, no luck. What should I do next? Install a new starter? Solenoid? I saw someone mention the BCM?

raygun9

Reaction score
There are a few other threads on this.. I have a 2020 Rebel non-eTorque also from the Boston Area and had the same issue last month. Ended up being the starter itself, of course I didn't realize this until after I swapped the battery.

Check this video out:

Branemaniac

Reaction score
2020 here and I just had a similar problem and had to have the starter replaced- and I had to wait around a day or two because my local Dealer was sold out of them... Must be a common issue.

blackbelt135

Reaction score
There are a few other threads on this.. I have a 2020 Rebel non-eTorque also from the Boston Area and had the same issue last month. Ended up being the starter itself, of course I didn't realize this until after I swapped the battery.

Check this video out:
I'm going to test the starter tonight with a multimeter, and I will also check its connections.

raygun9

Reaction score
I'm going to test the starter tonight with a multimeter, and I will also check its connections.
I can't find the thread but someone was able to do some digging into how the starter is being grounded and how its not sufficient enough and that could be the cause of them all dying so quickly.

The starter on my 2012 lasted 10 years and 150k miles.

blackbelt135

Reaction score
I can't find the thread but someone was able to do some digging into how the starter is being grounded and how its not sufficient enough and that could be the cause of them all dying so quickly.

The starter on my 2012 lasted 10 years and 150k miles.
I will look for the ground, and check others I come across as well.
Did you change your starter yourself? I'm wondering if I'll need to disconnect the front driveshaft and drop the sway bar to get to it...

Reaction score
HELP! I have a 2020 Ram Rebel 1500, 5.7L crew cab (non eTorque). It only has 39k miles on it. I've had the truck for a few months, it's been great, until now ... it won't start!

I don't think it's weather related ... it's been in the 30's lately, but now it's dropping into the 20's.

I'm the third owner (original owner was in Canada, then second owner was the dealership in Boston, Mass), and I bought the truck a few months ago so I don't think it's under warranty anymore.

Side note: A week ago I installed a sound system, just a single subwoofer and amplifier. We used a Line Out Converter to bypass the factory amp and subwoofer. The install went smoothly and the sub sounds great. It shouldn't be the issue.

Two days ago I tried to remote start the truck (which I always do), but it didn't start. So I went outside to manually start it. I pushed the brake, then pushed the start button, just a click. I tried again, nothing. All electrical and lights working as usual, and no unusual alerts or anything on the dash. My first thought was my sound system must be drawing power somehow, so I disconnected it. I disconnected all the wires going into the amp, and I even disconnected the power cable to the positive terminal on the battery. The sound system is completely disconnected (other than the LOC to the factory amp). Basically back to factory settings, but the truck still wouldn't start.

The dashboard's battery voltage display said 11.9 volts, so I hooked up some jumper cables. I let it charge to 12.5 volts, tried to start it, nothing - just a click. And when I tried to start it, the voltage dropped from 12.5 down to about 12 volts. So I left it on the jumper cables longer. I charged it to 13.7 volts, tried to start it, nothing - just a click. The battery voltage dropped from 13.7 to 13.2 volts. I tried to start it again, nothing. The voltage dropped to under 13 volts. I tried again, nothing, and the voltage kept dropping. Maybe a damaged cell? Maybe not enough amps? I removed the battery, went to AutoZone to have it tested ... they said the battery was good! However, I still bought a brand new $230 gold battery, put it in the truck, tried to start it, nothing - just a click. Took the new battery out, put the "old" battery back in (I guess I'll return the new battery that didn't help). Terminals are clean, clamps are tight. Truck won't start.

Next I got under the truck, I removed the heat shield over the starter, and then tried tapping the starter with a hammer 10-20 times. Tried to start, nothing - just a click. I then tried to see if the starter had any loose wires/connections, but everything looks ok from what I could see. I hit the starter with a hammer another 10-20 times, this time a little harder (it's a tight spot, you can't hit it too hard) ... tried to start, nothing - just a click.

I also checked the fuse box under the hood. I removed a few fuses that said "starter", but from what I could tell, they all looked ok. Nothing unusual.

After 5 hours of troubleshooting, I went to bed. I woke up this morning, tried to start, no luck. What should I do next? Install a new starter? Solenoid? I saw someone mention the BCM?
The same thing happened to me a couple of months ago, that time was the 40A fuse for the starter, last Friday, I did the same thing, I thought it was the fuse again, and came back next day to my sister's house where my truck left me, bought a new fuse from the dealer because we're the only ones carrying the same type of fuse MCASE slotted, I replaced the fuse but nothing happens, I bought a new battery 2 months ago, I think it could be the starter, I have a mechanic going today to check the truck, will see what happens.

IceStormz

Reaction score
I just ran into this issue but it's a little weird in my case.
I remote started my truck and it was running for around a minute and I got inside it. As I sat down, it ran rough for roughly 5 seconds and just shut off. I tried to start it again and it keeps cranking but doesn't turn over. My voltage kept dropping as it was trying to turn over so I connected another vehicle to maintain voltage. I maintained voltage somewhere between 13.5 to 13.1 volts and it cranked a lot faster too, but it didn't turn over. My service advisor is basically my friend at this point and I message him a video and he instantly said it's a starter issue, or at least the wiring for the ground maybe corroded/worn out. He isn't for sure positive but said that he'll get it looked after. Sucks because I'm gonna have to tow it to dealership (I bought the 5 year bumper to bumper warranty) but it'll take some time out of the day for sure...
Weird side note - It started on Friday morning just fine. But Friday evening (around 11pm) it didn't. I don't understand anything but I'll definitely post an update as to what happened.

blackbelt135

Reaction score
I just ran into this issue but it's a little weird in my case.
I remote started my truck and it was running for around a minute and I got inside it. As I sat down, it ran rough for roughly 5 seconds and just shut off. I tried to start it again and it keeps cranking but doesn't turn over. My voltage kept dropping as it was trying to turn over so I connected another vehicle to maintain voltage. I maintained voltage somewhere between 13.5 to 13.1 volts and it cranked a lot faster too, but it didn't turn over. My service advisor is basically my friend at this point and I message him a video and he instantly said it's a starter issue, or at least the wiring for the ground maybe corroded/worn out. He isn't for sure positive but said that he'll get it looked after. Sucks because I'm gonna have to tow it to dealership (I bought the 5 year bumper to bumper warranty) but it'll take some time out of the day for sure...
Weird side note - It started on Friday morning just fine. But Friday evening (around 11pm) it didn't. I don't understand anything but I'll definitely post an update as to what happened.
Sounds like your starter on its way out

Jenkins23

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I'm new to the forum but I had a quick question, has ANYBODY changed the starter yet, I have the 2020 Big Horn 5.7; looking to save a little money and do it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread