5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram Rebel with Split Tailgate and Black out package

DavidNJ

Reaction score
They should have just made it one big swing gate not split. But that might be patented by Honda for the Ridgeline.

The trouble is the big, swing gate doesn't clear the trailer jack and only loads from one side of the car. The split give the option of either side.

I think for the mildly OCD minded... like me... a single gate, or a 50/50 gate would be much more pleasing to the eye. The 60/40 split drives me crazy to look at, but I poked around at a truck with it right before I made my purchase in July. Loved the functionality, truly. To me, it seemed really sturdy and well engineered. For example, the tailgate frame in "Door Mode", that looks like it lines up with Ram Boxes, actually folds down when you use it as a regular tailgate... giving the same or similar access to the bed as a normal gate. It's a cool slight-of-hand.

I agree...I think a 50-50 like a panel truck or refrigerator door would have been niced. I would also have liked them to open wider on more of an articulating hinge...they seem to block bed access when a trailer is connected.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you are missing the point of the tailgate. It’s to be able to reach into the bed. It’s also ALOT more convenient for lifted trucks or with a bed cover.

You can’t reach anything in the bed with the tailgate down, and with a cover, now you gotta drop the tailgate, climb under the cover to reach back or open it up.

If you work out of the back of the truck or any activity where you are constantly needing to get in and out of the bed, this could potentially be so much easier.

The tailgate is WAY LESS offensive in person than the ramboxes Imo. Talk about something that looks stupid.
All good and valid points. The key here that its an additional choice and the more choices you have the better!

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree...I think a 50-50 like a panel truck or refrigerator door would have been niced. I would also have liked them to open wider on more of an articulating hinge...they seem to block bed access when a trailer is connected.

When you look at how they built the tailgate you realize the problems with 50/50... where do you put the latch and backup camera? Do you want the back up camera off center? So 60/40 was the best compromise which kept cost down. With a trailer, just drop the gate as normal. There's no "easy" access with a trailer anyway. But yes... 50/50 is way more aesthetically pleasing.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I like my big tool box at the back of the bed, and those braces back there don't tool too friendly to that.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The trouble is the big, swing gate doesn't clear the trailer jack and only loads from one side of the car. The split give the option of either side.

When you have a trailer hooked up just drop it like a normal tailgate, 60/40 will suck using a trailer regardless.

As for accessing either side I see it as having full access and better entrance angle having no obstruction to one side at all. There is virtually no negative to the 60% side being longer.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All good and valid points. The key here that its an additional choice and the more choices you have the better!
This. It's not for everyone, but it's a great option to have for accessibility to those who need it.

In comparison, I have grave concerns for the GMC multi-pro tailgate origami as it relates to long term viability. Some grit, sand, and scratches on the creases and components, in conjunction with coastal New England winters where the road crews throw down salt as soon as it hits 33 degrees... I have my doubts. I love the concept and design as an exercise, but ahhh... no. Pass.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
This. It's not for everyone, but it's a great option to have for accessibility to those who need it.

In comparison, I have grave concerns for the GMC multi-pro tailgate origami as it relates to long term viability. Some grit, sand, and scratches on the creases and components, in conjunction with coastal New England winters where the road crews throw down salt as soon as it hits 33 degrees... I have my doubts. I love the concept and design as an exercise, but ahhh... no. Pass.

It doesn't even look that useful. FCA has 5 RAM features that some people love that the others don't: 12" UConnect, 4-corner air suspension, RamBox, stunning interiors, and now the multifunction tailgate. Now if they would only put the 2500 towing mirrors on the 1500.

pgers22

Reaction score
digging the black out option for the rebel now. too bad i am all in for a 19 already.

Users who are viewing this thread