5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram Rebel real world advice on towing, payload and power for our travel trailer?

TruckeeTahoe

Reaction score
So here is the long/ short story. We travel a lot with dirt bikes and mountain bikes around the country. In fact we are currently planning a 4-6 month trip around the US and Canada (so not just a few miles down the street to a campsite). As we are on mtn and dirt bikes we tend to be in high elevations 5-10k high and fairly steep passes from California, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Arizona etc aka not flat plains states. Our current Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco-Diesel has 420 lb of torque, the 5.7 hemi has slightly less but is a heavier vehicle with a trailer that is twice what we have had. Despite the known Eco-Diesel issues we have loved in, in fact we have two. We have towed a Lance 1685 with it around the country and more recently a Jayco 12 HFD popup with 2 dirt bikes on the front deck. However, we are spending more time in the TT and need something a little larger as we work from the road. So we bought a Rebel on Dec 18th (almost). Turns out it was a dealer trade and they send a driver down to pick it up and it was sold. So we ordered one Dec 23rd, I have a VIN but no build date. Our concern is weight and payload. Nobody can tell me what it will be on vehicle or trailer. I am guessing low 1,300 lbs. We sold our Jayco and ordered a Nobo 19.1 toy hauler. It's claimed 4,700 empty with a tongue hitch of 720 so without batteries, propane water, dirt bikes and gear . Gross vehicle of TT is 7600 as it can fit a UTV. However we will only have 2 dirtbikes. I start adding up a tongue weight of about 800 (best guess), 70 lb hitch, 2 people, 30 lb dog, 3 mtn bikes, a few 5 gallon gas jugs and our payload including the tongue weight is likely closer to 1500 lbs or a few hundred pound over. I believe the total loaded trailer weight will be under 7k. Are we stupid, should we get a 2500, are we pushing it too much. We like the size and look of Rebel, huge backseat, tons of features, comfort driving etc but am a little worried about being maxed out, not on towing capacity, but payload and power. I know it can do it but are we pushing it for a 10,000 mile trip through the mountains. Sorry for the long post but this is keeping me up all night every night! I have read through all the towing threads but most of not Rebel related so payload is a bit higher. We really want the rebel but don't want temps of 275 and taxing tranny, brakes and motor. I don't want a tow vehicle with leaf springs and a super stiff ride. So now wife and I are trying to figure out if we need to bit the bullet and go 2500. It's only 5 inches longer but it's mass is huge. It only has a 6 speed tranny but 850 lbs of torque so more than double power of the Rebel. Plus it's a heaver vehicle. We live at 6,000 feet so the 395 hp hemi is probably already down at least 20% from sea level power.

RangerZ

Reaction score
Payload is obviously dependent on how you option the truck and you could end up with a fairly low payload truck. I’m fairly new to ram and I have a rebel that I regularly tow 5000 lbs with and it’s loaded with options so I am aware I have a low payload but for my application I’m not close to overloaded. There are people here who know way more about this than I do BUT you should be aware that the 2500 does not ride on leaf springs. It is a coil spring rear suspension and has a excellent ride for a 3/4 ton truck. i Don’t think you’d have pulling power issues. For me coming from a life time of GM trucks I didn’t like the way the rear of the truck felt when I was towing So I have the hellwig sway bar on the rear which makes a significant difference in how the truck feels when it’s loaded. For me personally if I were towing what you do I’d go 2500 or a different model of 1500 to maximize payload and maybe even the diesel in the 1500.

Zinger

Reaction score
A 7000lb trailer won't be an issue, but based on what you're telling us payload certainly may be.

Go to a dealer and look at the door stickers of various trucks to get actual payload numbers, it's the only way to know for sure.

A 2500 will for sure handle what you need. A 1500 might be OK, but you will be at capacity or over.

Truth be told in a 1500 class the F-150 might be the best fit for you. Higher payload and the Ecoboost won't suffer at elevation.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a payload of 1478lbs, check out my truck details in my signature block.

You can also check out my thread.

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
bf9efb6ee86db3eddc3bf120ed35ca86.jpg

You can see my payload here. I don’t have e-torq, panoramic sunroof or 12” screen. I wish I’d gone with a 2500. The Rebel is awesome but you’ll probably want a 2500 after you tow a few times. Bite the bullet now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dieseldork

Reaction score
I want to add my .02... Long story short, if I had it to do over again, I'd get a 2500; likely the power wagon.

I like my Rebel a lot, but it it tows worse than any Ram I've had previously. Most recently was a 2012 Ram Big Horn 1500. (Before that: 96 2500 5spd Cummins, 99 2500 6spd Cummins, 2003 2500 Auto Cummins) My current trailer is a 2018 Grand Design 2500RL. Total length including the tongue is 29'9" . Tongue Weight is 581 lbs , and the dry weight is 5,857 lbs. I've towed it about 10 times, with the longest distance being ~400 miles. I have the 10k Equal-i-zer hitch, and have fiddled with the setup multiple times trying to improve the towing experience. I'm sure folks will say that "I've got it set up wrong", or that "I don't know what I'm doing"; which may well be true. I've had a handful of campers, and done my share of "bumper towing", largely without incident; until this truck. I feel like the large sidewalls on the Rebel AT tires contribute to the problem. I like that they are E rated, and I have had some improvement from airing them up before towing. I can't seem to completely eliminate porpoising, and have trouble with sway. I'm going to add the Timberline Enterprises air bags before this camping season and see how much that helps. If I'm still not satisfied, I'll probably go back to a 2500.

Beyond that, I feel like this truck struggles on hills and getting up to speed. Even with the 3.92 axle. In tow/haul mode, RPM's seem stay much higher than I'd like, and it usually stays in 5th gear at 65-70MPH. Engine and trans temps hardly ever change from their unloaded temps; so there's that at least.

It could be the trailer... It could be me... My take is that the Rebel just ins't the best choice for a tow vehicle. YMMV

Best of luck to you. Sounds like you're going to have some fantastic adventures!

Zinger

Reaction score
I want to add my .02... Long story short, if I had it to do over again, I'd get a 2500; likely the power wagon.

I like my Rebel a lot, but it it tows worse than any Ram I've had previously. Most recently was a 2012 Ram Big Horn 1500. (Before that: 96 2500 5spd Cummins, 99 2500 6spd Cummins, 2003 2500 Auto Cummins) My current trailer is a 2018 Grand Design 2500RL. Total length including the tongue is 29'9" . Tongue Weight is 581 lbs , and the dry weight is 5,857 lbs. I've towed it about 10 times, with the longest distance being ~400 miles. I have the 10k Equal-i-zer hitch, and have fiddled with the setup multiple times trying to improve the towing experience. I'm sure folks will say that "I've got it set up wrong", or that "I don't know what I'm doing"; which may well be true. I've had a handful of campers, and done my share of "bumper towing", largely without incident; until this truck. I feel like the large sidewalls on the Rebel AT tires contribute to the problem. I like that they are E rated, and I have had some improvement from airing them up before towing. I can't seem to completely eliminate porpoising, and have trouble with sway. I'm going to add the Timberline Enterprises air bags before this camping season and see how much that helps. If I'm still not satisfied, I'll probably go back to a 2500.

Beyond that, I feel like this truck struggles on hills and getting up to speed. Even with the 3.92 axle. In tow/haul mode, RPM's seem stay much higher than I'd like, and it usually stays in 5th gear at 65-70MPH. Engine and trans temps hardly ever change from their unloaded temps; so there's that at least.

It could be the trailer... It could be me... My take is that the Rebel just ins't the best choice for a tow vehicle. YMMV

Best of luck to you. Sounds like you're going to have some fantastic adventures!

I believe the Power Wagon has even lower payload than the Rebel, definitely check that.

dieseldork

Reaction score
Sure enough, Zinger! I never would have thought that. Thanks for pointing that out, I may not have looked, and just assumed that being a 2500, it would be better.

TruckeeTahoe

Reaction score
Sadly we pulled the plug on Rebel. Just not quite enough payload for toy hauler and trips. A little disappointing but going Cummings 2500 for towing and payload.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I totally understand that. Even though the truck can definitely do more than the sticker says sometimes, all of the time it would be pushing it to the limit and for the long run wouldn't be ideal. I am going to get a 2500 when I downgrade from my Motorhome to a Fifth wheel Travel Trailer. Need payload of around 3K and towing of about 16K.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sadly we pulled the plug on Rebel. Just not quite enough payload for toy hauler and trips. A little disappointing but going Cummings 2500 for towing and payload.
Probably a good idea based off how you will use it. If you're doing massive trips loaded with gear it's better to have the piece of mind and capability. The 2500s are just as nice inside. Have you looked at a 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi? It comes with an 8spd and is significantly lighter (more payload) than the Cummins.

Users who are viewing this thread