5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram quad cab running board install

19fxfbs

Reaction score
Ok, ive done my research, and realize the response is to clean my threads off with paint thinner. However, here is the deal. I bought the mopar running boards for my 2020 ram quad cab night edition. I have confirmed the boards fit with the factory bolts on the truck. I tried putting the nuts that came with the boards on several of the bolts, they would BARELY start to thead on, they really seem like they are not the right size. With that said, the instructions show i should be using a 10mm socket, and my 10mm sockets WILL NOT fit on the head of the nut. I need to use a 1/2 inch socket to fit appropriately. Im thinking I need a different size nut? Anyone else run into this? Instructions also say to run appropriate size die to clean the threads off before install, but at this point im unsure any of the sizes are as advertised. Thanks in advance for any help anyone might be able to give.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Attached is an instruction sheet for Ram bed steps which uses 8mm nuts. 8mm nuts require a 13mm wrench which converts to .511811 inches.
My personal experience with the studs was to use a small wire wheel on a drill to remove the paint. I tried a few different methods including a thread chaser and found the going tough and stopped as it appeared I was starting to cross thread the stud. I also tried paint remover.
The 10mm sounds out of sorts as far as fitting the running boards based on my install and running board experience.

Attachments

• Ram bed step running boards installation 12 ft lb.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 17
  • Ram Metric-Nut-Size-Chart.pdf
    502.4 KB · Views: 5

vincentw56

Reaction score
I didn't need to do anything to the studs. But, if they won't go on, then I'd suspect you have the wrong size. 10mm seems way too small for nuts that would hold these on.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Jako

Reaction score
I ran a thread die on all of mine to clean off the paint. And since I had a tube, I put some loctite blue on the studs.

From the install instructions:
NOTE: To clean threads use the correct Die before installing running boards Use a shot of corrosion preventative on studs after install.

Users who are viewing this thread